Replace House Batteries with 2 Deep Cycle 12v

CapnDean

Ok I did this on my previous Coach (2002 Fleetwood Discovery 37T) and it worked well.   Has anyone with a larger Coach (such as my Current 2008 Camelot 42PDQ) ditched the 4 or 6 6 volt batteries in favor of a pair of 12's?

From the outset, I am well aware that 2 12V deep cycle batteries do not provide the same amp hours as the 4 6 Volt golf cart batteries.   BUT:   In my case - does it really matter?

I removed the dometic gas/12V fridge and replaced it with a Samsung RF18 residential fridge.   We love the upgrade because it gives so much more fridge room.  So in reality,  the only time that TRUE amp hour capacity matters to me, is when I overnight on an extended trip and leave the fridge pulling on the inverter.  That was never a problem with the discovery as the 2 12 volt batteries could handle this with ease.

While I am underway without the generator running, the Alternator is keeping up with the fridge.   I think I only camped without power for one entire night the whole time we have been travellers, lets just face it, we usually go where we can have power.    AND.....If I couldnt find power, I would likely run the generator anyway.

Anybody else have this same bright idea?

I did just the opposite.  I've not had good luck with the large 12v deep cycle batteries.  Our Windsor and our Executive came with two large 8D deep cycle house batteries.  They just don't last.  If you run them down near or under 50% state of charge they go downhill fast.  6V GC2 golf cart batteries are meant to be constantly discharged and recharged and are very heavy duty.  

• Like 3