Anyone replaced hydraulic lines for slide and levelers?

My 2003 Monaco Dynasty has developed some minor leaks in the (slide and levelers) hydraulic system, either in the fittings or the lines. My repair shop is suggesting that I may want to consider replacing the 19 year old lines. (My goal has always been to keep the coach in pristine condition, opting for preventative maintenance rather than deal with emergency repairs). Question: does anyone have experience in replacing hydraulic lines? How labor intensive was it? (The engine system hydraulic system is fine- this is the system for LR slide and levelers). 

Alan Williams

2003 Monaco Dynasty

Cummins ISL400

I remember reading about leaky hoses with a certain system, different from what I have. Our HWH hoses are still good at 20+ years (knock on wood). Hopefully someone involved in that discussion years ago will comment but I am certain you are not the only one with this trouble.

There was a good post on the IRV2 forum where a ~2000 Dynasty owner changed out the the hydraulic lines on is single slide.  Turned out to be a pretty big project, while he was doing it he took the cylinders out and had them rebuilt along with the synchronizing cylinder.  This was preceeded by an alignment issue.  Here is the post https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2000-monaco-dynasty-slide-room-cylinder-rebuild-and-hose-replacement-547651.html

I think one of the problems was that the hoses are installed prior to the house being built.  The hoses are routed in the belly of the coach and can be hard to access. 

Good Luck

41 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

There was a good post on the IRV2 forum where a ~2000 Dynasty owner changed out the the hydraulic lines on is single slide.  Turned out to be a pretty big project, while he was doing it he took the cylinders out and had them rebuilt along with the synchronizing cylinder.  This was preceeded by an alignment issue.  Here is the post https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2000-monaco-dynasty-slide-room-cylinder-rebuild-and-hose-replacement-547651.html

I think one of the problems was that the hoses are installed prior to the house being built.  The hoses are routed in the belly of the coach and can be hard to access. 

Good Luck

Jim J- Thanks for info on the iRV post. I’m leaning towards replacing all slide and leveling jack lines. 

2 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I remember reading about leaky hoses with a certain system, different from what I have. Our HWH hoses are still good at 20+ years (knock on wood). Hopefully someone involved in that discussion years ago will comment but I am certain you are not the only one with this trouble.

Ivan K- Like you, I didn’t have an issue with leaks…until this summer. It seems like they are all showing the same signs of deterioration. 

Just replaced two lines going to a slideout ram. One of them had developed a leak at a fitting. Thought I could just use a replaceable type fitting since I had room and enough hose to cut it back. After several tries A hydraulic line shop told me they had not had much success with rubber coated lines. Finally decided to replace both lines going to that ram. I routed the lines along the bottom of the frame because the original lines are inside the frame with access blocked by the tanks. When you near the back I was able to zip tie the lines to the original ones. Get the very best lines and fittings you can because it is a real pain. Other side just seeping a little so watching it. When you get your lines made up be sure to get  the line that will work with the replaceable fittings and get them long enough to have some extra length. Get lines with the fabric appearing covering. Good luck. I was sore for a week.

Mine are Lipper, slides only. The pump was repaced by Lipper in 2011 with a new redesigned unit after I pointed out the 5 design issues. 

Cheap Lipper plastic hoses replaced in 2016. They leaked intenally and the oil travels to the fitting to leak out. 8 hoses 160' total of quality hose and fittings $634, 6 hrs of labor at $75, $1140 total. This was done by a hydraulic shop.

Process: Cut all of the wire ties, install the fitting on one end in the shop, attach it to an existing hose, pull the hose through, cut and attach the other fitting and tighten the fittings. ie No need to guess at the length. Repeat for remaining hoses. New wire ties. Add oil. Slides out/in several times to purge the air

Today with hydraulic jacks it could be $3-4k, did you get an estimate? It can be a DIY job with a portable crimper.

Edited by W7BE_Bob
typo