Slide motor rebuild

The driver's side slide out went out as usual. When the time came to reel it back in ....nothing. I went through all of the troubleshooting procedures and determined the motor is bad. I brought the slide in manually and we were  on our way. Now at home I removed the gearmotor assembly and bench tested it with 12v. The motor is bad. Apparently, the manufacturer, Power Gear, is no longer in business. I'm having no luck finding a replacement. Has anyone had this motor rewound? 2001 Diplomat. Power Gear 532049

Power Gear is now part of Lippert, but parts are still available.  You might find one cheaper than direct with Lippert however. Rebuild would be the least expensive route.

My motor quite while trying to bring the slide in.  I didn't have time to get it rebuilt, ended up buying a new one from Veurinks. 

I kept the old one and about 6 months later I had time to look at it.  Took it apart and cleaned, made sure the brushes were free, put it back together and it worked.  I am keeping it as a spare. 

7 hours ago, tcbrow said:

The driver's side slide out went out as usual. When the time came to reel it back in ....nothing. I went through all of the troubleshooting procedures and determined the motor is bad. I brought the slide in manually and we were  on our way. Now at home I removed the gearmotor assembly and bench tested it with 12v. The motor is bad. Apparently, the manufacturer, Power Gear, is no longer in business. I'm having no luck finding a replacement. Has anyone had this motor rewound? 2001 Diplomat. Power Gear 532049

Amazon maybe!

D9150095-CEA4-4602-A919-06723C8FFF47.png

A43D7383-CB88-4C77-BBD3-234643834CCA.png

Edited by Gary M

Manufacturers rarely reinvent the wheel when they build a product. That unit is just a typical 12 V dc gearmotor used in countless applications. I just looked on Ebay and a replacement can be had for $50.00 You will need to know the rpm and amp draw. 9 amps is a small dc motor at 12 V. I would upgrade so long as the rpm was the same.

Edited by Gary Cole

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I can find several gear motors for slide outs. I was hoping to find an exact replacement. I can't find any thing that says it's a direct replacement. I know that my motor is 12v with a 3/4" diam. shaft. I don't know the RPMs or the amp draw. 15 amp circuit breaker so 9 amps sounds reasonable. None of the slide gear motors that come up in my searches appear to mount to the bracket on my MH. If I knew the rpm and the draw I could buy something that matches and have a new mounting bracket fabricated.

I think it was around $75 with shipping.

They ended up rebuilding my hydraulic ram and made all new hydraulic hoses for me too.

They did the motor first but then I continued to have additional problems so they suggested to send the ram with the hoses to them.

That was a year and a half ago. No more problems.

Tom you could determine the rpm by disconnecting a working motor and timing its no load rpm. The 9 A figure I quoted was from the picture Kenneth posted. That would certainly be locked rotor amps. Use that number if you purchase a replacement. Don't confuse that with no load amp draw which is what some vendors publish. I would be careful when measuring rpm because a slight difference in rpm translates to a significant change in travel speed with a rack and pinion gear system. If nothing else you can compare the diameter of the motor housing. These motors are probably series type with brushes so housing diameter is directly proportional to torque as the design is generic. Series motors are not rated in rpm.  Don't think they would use a brushless or permanent magnet motor because of expense but could be wrong. If you do find a replacement let us know because I would buy a spare just in case.

Edited by Gary Cole

I had an equivalent problem a few weeks ago. The bed slide showed no signs of failing, but when we went to retract the slide after an over night rest stop, the mechanism produced a loud, grinding sound and did not move the slide. I was able to manually retract the slide using a socket wrench. Each 1/2 turn of the wrench moved the slide about 1/8 of an inch, so pulling in the 30 inch deep slide took awhile. 

I called a local RV service shop and inquired about the price of a replacement drive assembly. The guy looked up the part and quoted a price of $900. I started looking on Amazon and found an exact replacement for $200. Markups are one thing, but highway robbery (no pun intended) is another. Maybe $200 is somewhat overpriced, too, but I could have the part quickly and be back in business.

With regard to exact match parts, RV builders often put their own part number labels over that of the part's manufacturer. As someone in this thread mentioned, these motors aren't purpose built for RV slides. They can be found in other applications that require a 12v motor and an equivalent gear drive. The label on the motor specified that the gear ratio is 18 to 1 and maximum current rating is 30 amps. 

Good luck with your research.

Roger
2006 HR  Endeavor PDQ