12v light recepticals won't work

Susan Hill

Check fuse in lighter socket, center should be positive, outer shield ground. Also check fuse in charge chord. Some lighter sockets need ignition be on or accessary turned on. Check voltage at socket. If 12v is good, chord is not making good contact in socket. Most lighter socket charge chords have a fuse under center pin of chord.

Edited by GNRACN
Additional information!

One of my accessory "lighter" sockets stopped working.  It's a TERRIBLE metal encapsulated design that depends on a tight fit to carry the ground current.  Check for voltage at the socket terminals, then check (carefully) the inner contacts.  I replaced the socket with this nifty little design.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098KD2G8F/

But that won't help your lighter-plug GPS.  I use the accessory socket down by the footwell for my GPS. 

Also . . . on our coach the accessory socket by the ignition key is supplied by an unmarked fuse slot in the distribution center under the driver - F8 "Reserved".  The accessory socket by the radio is supplied by a different fuse, which may (or may not) be supplied by the footwell accessory socket.

Of course the LaPalma might be different . . . .

- bob

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Larry and Donna Maida said:

Yea check other outlets. If no current its the GFI in the bathroom. 

Everything else works but thanks!

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

One of my accessory "lighter" sockets stopped working.  It's a TERRIBLE metal encapsulated design that depends on a tight fit to carry the ground current.  Check for voltage at the socket terminals, then check (carefully) the inner contacts.  I replaced the socket with this nifty little design.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098KD2G8F/

But that won't help your lighter-plug GPS.  I use the accessory socket down by the footwell for my GPS. 

Also . . . on our coach the accessory socket by the ignition key is supplied by an unmarked fuse slot in the distribution center under the driver - F8 "Reserved".  The accessory socket by the radio is supplied by a different fuse, which may (or may not) be supplied by the footwell accessory socket.

Of course the LaPalma might be different . . . .

- bob

Thanks Bob. I'll pass that info on to my companion. He will ck it out.

Susan, you did mot mention that you checked the wiring to the 12v outlet and all connection are good. Just a suggestion.

On my LaPalma there are fuse holders in the engine compartment and under the dash at the drivers pedals. Next is the collection in the first storage bin on the drivers side. Lots of places to check.

One other thing is that the 12v outlet may be powered by the house and not by the chassis battery, in which case you will need the check the fuses for the house 12v. In my coach this is in the same bin as the house batteries.

47 minutes ago, Martinvz said:

Susan, you did mot mention that you checked the wiring to the 12v outlet and all connection are good. Just a suggestion.

On my LaPalma there are fuse holders in the engine compartment and under the dash at the drivers pedals. Next is the collection in the first storage bin on the drivers side. Lots of places to check.

One other thing is that the 12v outlet may be powered by the house and not by the chassis battery, in which case you will need the check the fuses for the house 12v. In my coach this is in the same bin as the house batteries.

Thanks..Will definitely check in the morning.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:38 PM, Susan Hill said:

2004 Monaco Lapalma 37 pst

Cant charge GPS as 12V lighter won't work. Fuses checked already. Any ideas? 

Thanks!

UPDATE..could not find anything fuse wise. Did buy a new cell charger and plugged that into the 12V lighter. It Sparked killing the new charger.  I'm at a loss.

Ticks a man off when that happens.

Try & create a test unit with a 12v bulb holder & your old burned out charger connector.  Blow a bulb maybe. Could also cut off charger & use cut wires to check voltage.  Even if it was wired backwards it shouldnt fry the charger. 12v center pin, ground outside contact metal. Check both to ground.

Sorry but writing about a reason why something like this might happen is not like having it in your hand, kinda like flying blind.