Detroit Engine series 60 515 HP

I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45, with a series 60 Detroit 515 HP Engine.  Could anyone tell me what the part is in the photos with the wire is came off.  Also, how important this part is. Do I need to get it fix ASAP. 

Unknow engine part edit 1.jpg

Unknown engine part edit 2.jpg

Just start and remove it, see what comes out!

Just be cautious with the amount of force to remove it and use a good tool!

It almighty looks like there’s another sensor of some type at the opposite end of your arrow, is it possible to that it is a oil temp sensor, almost appropriate to be on an oil galley. 

Edited by Jdw12345
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

Just start and remove it, see what comes out!

Just be cautious with the amount of force to remove it and use a good tool!

It almighty looks like there’s another sensor of some type at the opposite end of your arrow, is it possible to that it is a oil temp sensor, almost appropriate to be on an oil galley. 

The smaller sensor to the right looks like a low oil pressure switch for a warning light, or could be a temp sensor, while the one in question looks like a pressure sender for an oil pressure gauge.  Most temp sensors are much smaller.

7 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

The smaller sensor to the right looks like a low oil pressure switch for a warning light, or could be a temp sensor, while the one in question looks like a pressure sender for an oil pressure gauge.  Most temp sensors are much smaller.

Good to know!

This reply, in my PERSONAL experience, is specific to a Cummins installation, but may apply to you with a DD as well.  For several years between 1998 and 200?, Cummins has some inexplicable difficulty with analog (proportional) oil pressure sensors.  They could not seem to find one that interfaced with their ECM correctly in an analog fashion.  After many service problems, Cummins replaced the analog oil pressure sensor feeding the Cummins ECM with a simple ON-OFF sensor.  That sensor reported to the Cummins ECM "Oil pressure OK" or "Oil pressure NOT OK (low)".  Another analog sensor was required to activate the instrument panel (electrically operated) oil pressure gage.  So, on many Cummins installations, there were TWO oil pressure sensors--one to operate the instrument panel gage, and one to report to the engine ECM.

Does your instrument panel oil pressure gage operate properly?  If not, it is likely because its sensor (perhaps the one you photographed) is disconnected.  As best I know from EXPERIENCE if the oil pressure sensor that reports to the ECM is disconnected, the engine will start and run for only a few seconds, and then shut down, because it's "ON-OFF pressure sensor" is reporting low oil pressure.

HTH

Van