Anyone Know what these Sensor are for?

I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty with a 2000 Cummins 8.9L engine.

I am replacing my dash with one made by Custom Instrument Panels and while I'm at it I'm replacing all my gauges (especially since my speedometer has never worked right, so I am installing a GPS speedo). Some of my gauges use different sensors than I have now (eng oil sensor, eng temp sensor, and trans temp sensor). I was looking at the engine and saw these three sensors.

Does anyone know which one is which?

Does anyone know what the one is that has no connector to it? (first two pics)

Does anyone know where the trans temp sensor is located?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Unknown Senor 1.JPG

Unknown Senor 1a.JPG

Unknown Senor 2a.JPG

Unknown Senor 3.JPG

First two pics look like oil pressure switch. Some Cummins engines had an oil pressure switch (on/off) to send a positive signal to the ECM when oil pressure existed, as well as an oil pressure analog sensor that sent amount of oil pressure to a dash gauge. This was a retrofit by Cummins and someone may have made a change to your coach to eliminate the switch sender.

As for the rest, I can't comment except to say that your Cummins owners manual and Cummins online should have a picture and description to tell you where all your engine sensors are located.

• Like 1

I have an 05 ISL so might not be the same. I found that the Beede instruments share the sensor output with the ECM including the trans temp/Allison comp. So the ohm ranges being non standard means you cannot changeout the existing sensors to match new gauges which use accepted ohm inputs.  ECM and transmission comp will be confused. #5 cylinder has a provision for a water temp sensor which you can use for your new gauge sensor. Tight fit. Had to grind a deep socket to install it. The trans sensor is also non standard. I installed a tee in the oil cooler supply line for the new sensor. 
Don't put the sensor in the return line as the return temp is not trans operating temp. Similar solution for oil pressure sensor. I like the idea of redundant sensors because  in the event of a code one has an independent data point to aid in deciding whether it is true or false.  Hope this helps. Good luck.

I like the GPS speedometers. My next upgrade.

Edited by Gary Cole
  • Like 1

If you don't have a Cummins Quickserve account I'd suggest you join.  https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

I found one page that had all the sensors required by the ECM with general location for my engine. 

On my engine there are several redundant sensors that Monaco installed just for the gauges that do not provide info to the ECM,  Transmission and Engine Temp are two of them.  There may also be one for the engine oil, can't remember but when I first bought my coach in 2008 the dash oil pressure gauge was pegged.  When I took it for a service and inspection I told the Cummins shop to look at it, they said the sensor had been put into the wrong port and that the gauge was now screwed up but the ECM had a different sensor. 

In 2010 I purchased a Silverleaf system and started using that instead of the dash gauges which never seem to represent what is going on.  My oil pressure is usually +70 psi at startup and after it is hot will run around 50 psi on the road and drop at idle.   

Edited by jacwjames

The Quickserve site takes time to figure out how to navigate but once you get use to it there is a lot of good information.  I even downloaded a complete maintenance manual for my engine. 

If you do have a way to get fault codes there is also a code lookup tool, it will provide information on the fault code and links to more detailed information. 

Silverleaf is a great product.  However I'm not thrilled with duct taping a laptop to my dash. I use an Android app on all my other vehicles which accesses all OBD parameters. Has a fully customized screen and pairs with the in dash head units. Looks great on a 10" display. Costs the princely sum of $10.00 in the Google app store.  Like to see Silverleaf port their software to Android so that I could use my existing 10" stereo head unit in my RV in a similar fashion.

Edited by Gary Cole
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 12:15 PM, Corkman said:

Good info Jacwjames I will definitely look in to that.

Thanks

Jacwjames, I logged in to the site, but can't find what you found. Any chance you can share where you found it?

I've spent a lot of time on the Qucikserve site.  It's not the easiest to navigate and find stuff and they changed the format recently so stuff that was there before may or may not be there now. 

Only advice I can give is to spent time going through the website.  Sometime you can search key words and it will get you where you want to go.

I'll give it a try, here it is,

Go to the Parts tab, it will bring up a screen with 3 tabs, you can either go to the Options view or Systems view.  In both cases there is a search box, upper left hand side.

The Servcie tab at the top will take you to Manuals etc.  If you download the manuals you can do a search within the document.  If you save all this stuff to a folder on your computer you can do a search withing the folder and it will bring up hits. 

image.png

Your original question as to a sensor, it might be the barometric pressure sensor but not sure.   Here is a link to an IRV2 thread, it has some pictures but post #19 has the old and new part number.