Block Heating Element

Guess in NE you need one although cycling the key a second time should heat the air enough to start. I use the outlet to power an additional 100 A battery charger.

They make external heaters but not sure how well they will work with the 40’ long heater hoses?

1C3A145B-6020-4886-929B-86FD0ECD21F4.png

Hello Ken, yeah mine had died as well on my 8.3 so the only reason it got replaced was cause i was replacing the radiator and rebuilding the alternator. I go along with Ivylog in that i would concider a external one.  Back in the day when i was stationed in Minot ND there were some frame mounted models that worked very well. For those we had to remove a plug in the block that supplied the water to the block heater then you just put a “Y” fitting on the return hose from the block heater and plumb into the return line from the cab heater. However the “Y” fitting that was supplied was plastic which would crack an leak so we just made one out of brass an it lasted forever. If you do end up installing one i would suggest contacting cummins (or cat) to see from them which block plug is best to use.

Edited by Rikadoo
Further explanition

We have a 2004 ISC and HR Scepter MH. I looked at the current coming in thru shore power when on 30 amp plug and b4 plugging in the element, I was at 4 amps. Plugged in the element and load went up 7 or so amps (1000 watt element divided by 120 volts, around 8 amps) . I have not left it on long term but there should be a temp rise above ambient temperature after a few hours. There is not a thermostat on mine that turns it on when cold. Plug it in and it draws current.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Steve Maurer said:

Hi, I am wondering if mine is still working. How did you test yours??

I'm guessing that most of us never need or use the block heater, but you should feel with your hand the engine become warmer although it might take a few hours.

If you have a way of looking at your 120v shore amps there will be a noticeable increase when you plug in the heater 

You should be able to hear it percolating after a couple of minutes of it being plugged in, our plug it in give it an hour then feel the thermostat housing, you should be able to feel some heat there. Obviously you shouldn’t have it running before hand! Like 6 hours! 

9 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Guess in NE you need one although cycling the key a second time should heat the air enough to start. I use the outlet to power an additional 100 A battery charger.

They make external heaters but not sure how well they will work with the 40’ long heater hoses?

1C3A145B-6020-4886-929B-86FD0ECD21F4.png

I like this idea. Thanks will work on this next week if I can get it started in a few days when I head home. Forecast for that morning is 10 degrees.

I have a ISL400 engine. I found a water hose coming from the back of engine (opposite of cooling fan) that appears to go to the heater core. Does anyone know if that is the in or out water flow direction for the engine? I have not located the other cabin heater core hose where it connects to the engine yet. Can someone guide me in the area where it is located. Cummins Customer Service/Quick Serve will not help with this. I am trying to find the correct hose and area to install a circulating water heat pump which should be on the inlet side of the engine.

Question 2. Does the valve at the heater core up front stay in the position selected on shutdown or does it default to closed?

Thanks,

Kenneth

• 2 weeks later...

Ken, have you considered a magnetic engine block heater? They simply stick onto the side of the oil pan or other flat location many choices on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Complete-Tractor-Magnetic-300-400-Degrees/dp/B00ET8ZQ0S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=19D0FJ7G948NY&keywords=magnetic+engine+block+heater&qid=1642120278&sprefix=magnetic+engine+block+heater%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-5

Chris