Replaced House Batteries with 12V x2

CapnDean

2008 Camelot 42p

The 4 golf cart batteries finally bit the dust.  Swollen and won't hold a charge for more than a few hours.   Napa GC2 golf cart batteries were Dated February 2016.   That is plenty old enough to suit me.

I did this mod on a previous coach with excellent results:   A pair of deep cycle marine trolling motor batteries.  Now before the AMP hour mafia come after me.....

I have a Samsung RF18 residential fridge onboard.   When we travel, I let the inverter keep it rolling.   If we  stop for the night at a place with no power....no big deal let her rip.

The rest of the time?  We don't typically dry camp anywhere. Heck I would venture to say that the longest time we have ever spent without having 110V available was maybe 24 hours.   Of course if we had to we would run the generator, in fact last time we spent the night at a welcome center.... It was hot and I had just learned my house batteries were shot, we ran the generator all night anyway for the sweet air.   

If you dont boondock for long periods.... you might try the same.  Who knows?  It sure is easier to keep up with 2 batteries than it is 4.

Our Diplomat came w 2 12V deep cycle batteries for the house.   They did the jib we needed to, but when they bit the dust I put 4 6v Trojans in to have more boondocking ability.  Since this is our first coach, I wanted to see what it would've been like stock. 

CapnDean, so which 2x12v batteries did you go with? I am in the same situation looking to replace my 4x6v AGM at end of life.  I don’t plan on doing any boondocking and will use gen power if needed for those short spells.  

9 hours ago, CapnDean said:

I bought a pair of Oreillys Super Start rv marine batteries.   They don’t advertise a cranking amp but they do say 120 minutes at 75 amp

There are deep cycle batteries which are what you want for house batteries.  There are marine starting & deep cycle batteries which are not what you want for the house.  A dual purpose battery is not a true deep cycle battery.  Crown Article - Start vs Deep Cycle Marine Battery

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, CapnDean said:

If you dont boondock for long periods.... you might try the same.  Who knows?  It sure is easier to keep up with 2 batteries than it is 4.

Hey, if you don’t want or need the battery capacity there’s nothing wrong with installing smaller batteries. 
I think the main reason golf cart batteries are so common is because they have traditionally provided the best overall cost -vs- capacity and useful life. If high capacity isn’t a priority for you, then maybe GC batteries are not the most cost effective option. 
Cheers

Walter