Daily distance or driving time.

Just finished a short trip from Pisgah Forest, NC to Fort Worth, TX returning home via Oklahoma City in a total of 13 days.  We've usually made a habit of limiting a days travel to 250 miles all during daylight hours.  Got in a hurry trying to make it home before New Years eve.  Drove 225 miles the first day and called it a day to replace water separator fuel filter.  Drove 487 miles the next day with a couple of rest area "power naps".  New Years eve day another 287 miles arriving home before dark.

I have been totally exhausted since getting home.  I am in good health (hike 15 to 20 miles per week). Could it be too many birthdays?

Just curious how far others in this forum travel per day.  For the time being, we've elected to drive no more than 200-250 miles per day.  I am the only driver with the wife, dogs and cat the only passengers.

I plan out my route for overnight stops at around +/- 300 miles or so each day. Plus we make multiple stops at rest areas along the way during the day.

The only time I have driven over 400 miles was when I had to be at a RV shop for an appointment the next day. Then I had to take some sleep stops along the way as it is not good to be driving these rigs while drowsy.

A fun just imagine

New  years resolutions…In case you want to exercise more in 2022, ponder this:
• The inventor of the treadmill died at the age of 54.
• The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57.
• The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41.
• The best footballer in the world, Maradona, died at the age of 60.
• James Fuller Fixx, credited with helping start America's fitness revolution by popularizing the sport of running, died of a heart attack while jogging at age 52.

BUT ...

• The KFC inventor died at 94.
• Cigarette maker Charles Winston died at the age of 102.
• The inventor of opium died at the age of 116, in an earthquake.
• And, the Hennessey Liquor inventor died at 98.

How did smart people come to the conclusion that exercise prolongs life?

The rabbit is always jumping up and down, but it lives for only two years, and the turtle, that doesn't exercise at all, lives 400 years.

Oh yes of course, Hugh Hefner died at 90 on the job ( or shortly thereafter)

So in 2022  chill, stay cool, eat, drink and enjoy your life!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Same as Richard, 300 max/6/7 hours,stop to use the washroom, walk around the rig(in trip inspection) 3 to 4 times.start every day with a 5 mile run before getting behind the wheel.shower,cup of Joe and away we go.

As for the rabbit, he is wiser then the others!

Wayne - Ironman Madison 2019, Tempe Arizona 2022

1999 Signature ceaser 

I like 300 miles a day.  I do 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon.  However I just completed 4 trips legs that were 500 a day.  I break it us with 15 to 20 minute break and dont really have a problem.  However I did drive tractor trailers in my younger days and consistantly drove 10 hours a day and worked 15 in a 24 hour period. I think its harder on my wife on the long days so we try to stay with 300.

Famous Chinese heart surgeon say:  "Heart have only so many beats.  When beats run out heart quit" 

It's the cat.  The cat must go. 

I typically drive until I get there, but most of my trips are reachable.  Some of the longer one-sit trips have been to Turkey TX (1124 miles) and Tulsa OK (855 miles), those were epic trips.  Two trips to Cross Fork PA (792) and both times stopped and slept in Walmart in State College PA.  Easy one-day trips are Matthews IN (634), Camp Claiborne LA (624), Park Hills MO, (571) and many under 500.  WHY?  Because I don't like stopping, and sometimes it's impossible to find an open drive-thru space in a rest area at midnite.  I don't mind truck stops for shut-eye but (other than they're slam full also) it's very hard to back up a short trailer in the dark.  The backup camera is useless and I can't see the trailer if it's backing straight.  On the return trips over 500 I'll typically stop somewhere, but I'm not getting started until after 3-4pm. 

I drive alone 90% of the time.  No one to tire me out with conversation. 

KEY TIPS for long distance driving -

- If Google says 6 hours plan on 7 . . . . or 7.5 with the dogs.  Keep moving!

- Get up early and drive, about an hour before sunrise is good.  Avoid metro rush hours through pre-planning.   

- Don't eat a big breakfast . . . and skip the coffee if possible.  My bkfst is a banana, Clif Bar and water.  My "second breakfast" might be an Egg McMuffin and small coffee around 10am, and I only drink half of it.  As a rule I keep fat-rich foods to a minimum.  Eating a biscuit is like eating a handful of lard. 

- Relax.  No need to speed or get uptight.  I'm usually cruising with the trucks, about 65, not "following", to keep a clear view of what's ahead. 

- Good headlights are a must.

- Keep sugary drinks to a minimum, and save the caffeine until as late as possible . . .  One Loca Moca is good for about 5 hours. 

- When I do get tired I'll plug in the earbuds (not coach speakers) and start playing.  Queen always gets me home.  It's a kind of magic . . . . I find myself following the lyrics, anticipating the next verse. 

Probably a few more. 

Above all, drive safe!

- bob

BTW, I'm 68, 150 lbs, don't exercise like I should but seem to be in decent shape anyway.  And, at 68, still racing motorcycles. 

Edited by cbr046
  • Thanks 1

More than the distance, I work on hours driving - about 6-7 hours per day. If it is all on Interstate, ok, make good miles. Mountain, back roads?? I'm retired, so I plan on taking lots of time to get somewhere with 'slop' built in for unexpected.

- Steve 

This formula was very popular when we full timed for 10 years. 3x3 or 4x4 or 5x5. Leave at 9 and in by 3= 300Miles, leave by 8 and in by 4= 400 miles, leave by 7 and in by 5= 500 miles. Includes stops for what ever. I cruised at 61-62 MPH. Best sweet spot for Maximum MPG. ISX 525, 07 Executive.

• Like 1

RV RULES - 3/3/3 or 2/2/2/2
• JUST STOP - if you aren’t sure what to do, or where to go 
The trip isn’t a race - Enjoy the journey as much as the destination
• Limit Driving to 300 miles (or 6 hours per day)
• “Ideal Travel Day” is 9a.m to 3p.m.  
• Arrive at new destination at least 2 hours before dark 
• Stay at least 3 days ( one week stay is optimal if lots to see )
• It cost less to stay than to go ( 240 miles / 8mpg = 30 gallons x $3+ = $90+ )
• Always review your checklists before traveling 
• We average 50 mph (with stops) - calculate travel time on that basis
• Do not start unless you have enough fuel - or know where to get it 
• Do not start until you or the "navigator" knows the route 
• Stop at rest stops - stretch, etc., at least once every 3 hours.
• If there is snow on the ground - you did something wrong!
• If it is over 89 degrees or 89% humidity - you did something wrong!  

“The problem with living on vacation is that it’s EXHAUSTING. If you vacation like the point is to see as much as you can in as short of a time as you can - or to cover as much ground as you can, as quick as you can - then you may end up exhausted and need a vacation from the vacation.”

Define your goal or purpose for the trip! As a traveler, it’s a challenge to define what our purpose is: Are we just wandering? Do we want to see X, Y and Z? Specifically see this person/thing Or ?  Is a few days too short of a stay? Is a few weeks or months too long? If we only stay 2-3 days does that mean we’re missing seeing something important?
These days it costs less to stay than to go!  Per day Avg cost $45 to stay and average $90+ to go ( it cost less to stay than to go ), why not stay?
Hmmm? The RVing 2/2/2/2 rule is a safe and effective way to plan your travel. It means drive no more than 200 miles a day, stop every 2 hours, and stay 2 nights in each place, arrive at an overnight destination by 2:00 p.m.? Maybe?

Our rv rules developed over the past few years for our comfort and enjoyment. 😎 Karl

• Like 1

Sorry, but having been across Kansas too many times (25+) and with only one good way to see it…from 30,000’ and with nothing in the middle of the country I want to see again, I still do the 1500 miles to CO in 2 days. Helps that the S-10 chassis is a great handling rig with a big fuel tank as I can average 62 mph driving 66…12 hours/day and have no plans to stop doing it this way at 77. IF (hasn’t happened yet) I get tired or sleepy, I’ll stop and take a nap as we do not make reservations.

Last summer headed West, I decided to get off the interstate in Paducah, KY…everyone says it’s better off the Interstates. What a mistake as I’m surprised I still have a driver’s mirror.. over width load on a narrow 2 lane road with a 6” drop off… no shoulder. Scrubbed the R front tire on a narrow bridge because a 18 wheeler wanted all of his half of the road and some of mine. OH, and having the windshield shake when meeting one on a 2 lane with a 130mph closing speed, 3’ apart… is that safer than the Interstates?  2x2 and 2 nights would be 15 days to CO… you’ve  got to be kidding although my personal best is 4 miles in a day.
Rant over!

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

Dick,

No rant, just plain common sense!

Totally agree about the horror stories when driving off the Interstates. I will take an Interstate any day versus some old back country road that has been neglected with generally no place to bail if in trouble. Plus you don't have to deal with oncoming driver's not knowing how well they drive or even if they see you. It's not like our buses can't be seen from a very long distance.

Richard

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1

Not sure where I read it but I've tried to follow the 350 rule.  Limit daily distance to 350 miles and stop by 3:50 pm.  We've pushed past both those limits at times to reach a destination.  A later stop doesnt leave much time set up in a campground, especially after dark.   We don't often get up and leave early so many days we don't get to 350 miles.  Not much need to get in too much of a hurry anymore.

Rick M 

2000 Exec.  Been parked at home a while.

I’ll add that once I get West, I’m game for about any road as long as it’s not gravel for very long… OK, Taylor Park to Cottonwood Pass was a long gravel road (it’s now paved) but shortest way to Leadville by 75 miles.

Edited by Ivylog

6 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Dick,

No rant, just plain common sense!

Totally agree about the horror stories when driving off the Interstates. I will take an Interstate any day versus some old back country road that has been neglected with generally no place to bail if in trouble. Plus you don't have to deal with oncoming driver's not knowing how well they drive or even if they see you. It's not like out buses can't be seen from a very long distance.

Richard

I like the back roads but I take a motorcycle to explore them.  Useful for day rides while motorhome is parked.  I've always hauled a Shadow but not lately.  I have triked my wing so now I'll be able to trailer it.

Rick M

Been rving 11 years, winter 3 mo in heat. Summer traveling around the west coast & the middle of this great country.  We are from NJ..

Rule #1 250-300 miles a day (with acouple of rest stops) depending on where we want overnight. Now I have right eye retina problem but still do the same.  Boss says always stop before dark & it works for us. 

3 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Rick, I also like country roads when riding my Victory. I will never get on an Interstate while riding. I prefer to ride a lot slower than what people are driving on Interstates.

At least you're not one of those clowns that trailers 500 miles then rides their bike the last 10 into Bike Week.  You already live there!  (and I'll bet you leave town the 2nd week of March, too!).

I've been going to Bike Week every year for the past 15, but never get East of I-95.  In on Wed and out on Thu.  Alligator Enduro in Favoretta. 

- bob

I think drive time is very personal and effected by circumstances. When planning a trip , now that we are retired, I prefer not to drive more than 4 hours a day and prefer to stay at least a week in a local unless deadheading to a destination. That said, when I was working it was not unusual for me to drive (with a driving partner) from New Orleans to Long Beach CA in 6 days. It depends on the circumstances. Even today, I find when heading home (we are not full timers) I tend to drive longer each day and back to back for up to three or four days. But that is just me.

1 hour ago, 1nolaguy said:

Even today, I find when heading home (we are not full timers) I tend to drive longer each day and back to back for up to three or four days. But that is just me.

I’m a horse is headed to the barn person too… three 12+ hours days are not a problem.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

I’m a horse is headed to the barn person too… three 12+ hours days are not a problem.

Interesting description, I guess it sort of fits me.  I may start a trip with all those laid back, take it easy intentions, but then I get restless, and those intentions begin to fade.   Heading home my 81 yr old mind thinks I'm 50, and I've gotta get home.  

While I'm gone, I'm thinking of all the things I need to be doing back home.  Once I'm home, it's oh those things can wait, lets plan another trip.                             I have a wife that doesn't seem to get, so I guess I need to look busy.

Edited by Ray Davis

Long distances don't bother me, if I need to get somewhere I just hunker down and drive.  In the motorhome I do try to drive during daylight hours.  If necessary I leave at the crack of dawn.  Last trip out I drove ~580 miles by myself, stopping only a couple time for short breaks. 

I am fortunate in that my coach drives and handles great and does a good job even in winds.  I do not get fatigued driving.  

On my last trip I did do some shorter slower legs, took 3 day to drive the Natchez Parkway, I will say it was relaxing.