Daily distance or driving time.

6 hours ago, Ivylog said:

I’m a horse is headed to the barn person too… three 12+ hours days are not a problem.

Same here. We have been all over the west since we live out west. When we went back east to MN and WI we bonsai it to get where we want to be. 550 - 650 miles per day is normal. I set the cruise control at 68 mph and let it roll. I did a trip to Georgia and back in 7 days this summer. 4,600 miles in 7 days was a bit much.

17 hours ago, cbr046 said:

At least you're not one of those clowns that trailers 500 miles then rides their bike the last 10 into Bike Week.  You already live there!  (and I'll bet you leave town the 2nd week of March, too!).

I've been going to Bike Week every year for the past 15, but never get East of I-95.  In on Wed and out on Thu.  Alligator Enduro in Favoretta. 

- bob

Bob, I live two blocks off the A1A so during Bike Week there is a constant roar everyday with hundreds of bikers running A1A from Daytona Beach to Jacksonville or St. Augustine and back. My brother who rides a Honda Valkyrie and I usually stay off our bikes the entire week except for one day. We generally pick one day late in the week to ride down to main street Daytona Beach then stop at a few shops in Daytona Beach, walk all of the vendors at the speedway then ride over to Rossmeyer's to walk the vendors over there and finally back home to Flagler Beach.

I never complain about the bikers but some residents do. Millions of dollars are brought into our local economy during bike week and that is a MAJOR plus for all of us locals. Even the local law enforcement and towns increase their revenues with all of the citations given out. Everyday I see bikers pulled over on the A1A in Flagler Beach during that week.

23 hours ago, cbr046 said:

You and I have traveled the same road to the same venues.  I recognized the NEPG schedule as soon as I saw it.  

I typically drive until I get there, but most of my trips are reachable.  Some of the longer one-sit trips have been to Turkey TX (1124 miles) and Tulsa OK (855 miles), those were epic trips.  Two trips to Cross Fork PA (792) and both times stopped and slept in Walmart in State College PA.  Easy one-day trips are Matthews IN (634), Camp Claiborne LA (624), Park Hills MO, (571) and many under 500.  WHY?  Because I don't like stopping, and sometimes it's impossible to find an open drive-thru space in a rest area at midnite.  I don't mind truck stops for shut-eye but (other than they're slam full also) it's very hard to back up a short trailer in the dark.  The backup camera is useless and I can't see the trailer if it's backing straight.  On the return trips over 500 I'll typically stop somewhere, but I'm not getting started until after 3-4pm. 

• Like 1

Each of us have our own comfort level on when to drive, how long to drive and what roads to drive on..  I will only tell you our experiences.  Depending on our destination, I will not hesitate to drive 500 miles on the interstate during daylight hours.  I love driving our DP because it drives as the saying goes "like a Cadillac."  In 2009, from late June into early September, we did a 12, 806 mile round trip to Alaska and back.  We drove out coach on one stretch between Rapid City, SD to a place in Wyoming for an overnight stay before crossing into Canada.  That was over 800 miles.  We left just before the Sun came up and got there just as the Sun was coming down.  As part of our Alaska adventure we drove the "Top of the World Highway" from Dawson City, Yukon Territory Canada to Tok, Alaska, about 90 miles.  It is far from a highway, dirt and gravel about the width of a two car driveway, no shoulder to speak of, 11 degree inclines and declines, hair pin turns, sheer drop offs, no guard rails, about 3 foot from the side of the road to the tree line so you can not see any animals crossing until they are right in front of you.  We took our time and it took a full 9 hours to make that 90 some mile drive and we had no issues with broken windshields or anything.  But those that were in a hurry did have problems.  People with trailers passing us going too fast for the conditions broke springs, flat tires, broken frames.  Motor homes had issues when driving to fast when encountering frost heaves.  If you do not drive according to the conditions and in your comfort level, it is not a matter if problems will happen but when problems will happen. So you can get advise from others as to what they or what we did.  The bottom line is to do what is comfortable for you.  The more experience you have, the more miles you put on may change they way you drive.  Stay well, Satay safe and Happy New Year to All

• Like 1

Last big one I did was a 9 hour run from Big Bend up to DFW, I'm not retired so I had to get back. Nice thing is the bus ran like a sewing machine all the way haulin the tow'd. I like the 5-7 hour versions taking my time. You guys are really cool the way you plan out your runs in time and distance, I can picture myself doing that once I retire. Thanks.

Interesting to see most everyone drives during the day. While I have enjoyed seeing the country during the day. Most of my long drives are between 7pm and 3am. I stop about 2-4 hours for a break. Way fewer cars at night and always a surprise when the sun comes up on a new location in the morning.

I'm a tad different since I ride with the wife, 4 kids and a 75lb Boxer. It's a quieter drive at night. Just wrapped a 12K mile round trip across the US with them. Great way to spend time with family.

Time in the seat all depends on:
- Roads (wide and straight or small and windy)
- Construction (10 feet wide with 4 feet concrete barriers on each side goes white knuckle after 20 miles of it)
- Traffic
- Animals (Yes. Lots of animals like the night. Besides me, of course)
- Schedule (Gotta make that special once a year Pow Wow)
- Fatigue (Did you just hike the entire Big Obsidian Flow in Oregon? And THEN decided to go to southern California?)
- Don't forget the crazy factor (Mine is very high)

Highly individual. Biggest thing is stay safe! No trip is worth a life. But every trip is a life's worth.

• Like 1

Traveling for business changes the schedule, but when loafing we try to keep it under 8 hours.  Try.  The trip to the FL panhandle used to be 6.5 hours in a car, now it takes 8.5 in the bus.

Did a trip from Atlanta to Loveland with the load in the belly of the beast also pulling a fully loaded 7,000 trailer, back through Illinois for a visit, and then Indiana to REV, then to FCCC for service and back home.  Other than the stops for service it was travelus maximus with only overnight stops.  Not fun.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, jacwjames said:

Long distances don't bother me, if I need to get somewhere I just hunker down and drive.  In the motorhome I do try to drive during daylight hours.  If necessary I leave at the crack of dawn.  Last trip out I drove ~580 miles by myself, stopping only a couple time for short breaks. 

I am fortunate in that my coach drives and handles great and does a good job even in winds.  I do not get fatigued driving.  

On my last trip I did do some shorter slower legs, took 3 day to drive the Natchez Parkway, I will say it was relaxing. 

On 1/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, jacwjames said:

Long distances don't bother me, if I need to get somewhere I just hunker down and drive.  In the motorhome I do try to drive during daylight hours.  If necessary I leave at the crack of dawn.  Last trip out I drove ~580 miles by myself, stopping only a couple time for short breaks. 

I am fortunate in that my coach drives and handles great and does a good job even in winds.  I do not get fatigued driving.  

On my last trip I did do some shorter slower legs, took 3 day to drive the Natchez Parkway, I will say it was relaxing. 

Same for me in my 03 Windsor, very stable platform.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2022 at 1:22 PM, nvrtoofast said:

Interesting to see most everyone drives during the day. While I have enjoyed seeing the country during the day. Most of my long drives are between 7pm and 3am. I stop about 2-4 hours for a break. Way fewer cars at night and always a surprise when the sun comes up on a new location in the morning.

I'm a tad different since I ride with the wife, 4 kids and a 75lb Boxer. It's a quieter drive at night. Just wrapped a 12K mile round trip across the US with them. Great way to spend time with family.

Time in the seat all depends on:
- Roads (wide and straight or small and windy)
- Construction (10 feet wide with 4 feet concrete barriers on each side goes white knuckle after 20 miles of it)
- Traffic
- Animals (Yes. Lots of animals like the night. Besides me, of course)
- Schedule (Gotta make that special once a year Pow Wow)
- Fatigue (Did you just hike the entire Big Obsidian Flow in Oregon? And THEN decided to go to southern California?)
- Don't forget the crazy factor (Mine is very high)

Highly individual. Biggest thing is stay safe! No trip is worth a life. But every trip is a life's worth.

I also have preferred driving at night, more so if traveling via interstate.  If I am in a new place and traveling back roads, I prefer daylight when I have time.  I suppose those of us that are working on tighter schedules tend to drive larger segments.   I have done 810 Miles with one stop for fuel, eating, walking.  

On 1/2/2022 at 3:22 PM, Ivylog said:

I’m a horse is headed to the barn person too… three 12+ hours days are not a problem.

I haven't done a 12 hr day driving except a couple of times going to FL, but I'm definitely a "get there before my head hits the pillow" person.  🙂 

That may change when I retire from my day job...

Scotty

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
12 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I'm definitely a "get there before my head hits the pillow" person.

That was always me.  I've been retired a long time and those habits didn't go away quickly.   It's a sickness that I still fight even today.

I fatigue sooner now so I don't have to fight it quite as hard today.

We seldom make reservations we just go till we want to stop.   I sometimes tell Marilyn we'll go 300 mi today ok, then I might do that by lunch.