Cruise control

I was wondering if I'm just overlooking something obvious but on my trips I try to set the cruise and I get nothing. I don't see any kind of light or anyway of telling if it has been activated while im driving. I took the smart wheel apart in the driveway and checked voltages and it works in the driveway. I can adjust , set and cancel rpm.....but when I get on the road it dosent work. I wish there was an led or a dash light to indicate it is on.

Charles,

It appears that your Exec does not have a Cruise indicator lamp on the dash to indicate that the cruise is ON and active.

I would look into how difficult it would be to add a lamp some place on the drivers dash that will light up when the cruise is active. It could be as simple as connecting a lamp to a wire coming off of the VIP controller.

• Like 1

Our 00 Sig does not have cruise indicator. Not provisioned in the cluster. I just remember to press the ON button but sometimes forget and just have to get up to speed again. Does not bother me anymore now that I know it. Our Jake is only ON when standing on the foot switch. The Hi/Low selector has no effect on cruise on its own.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Charles,

It appears that your Exec does not have a Cruise indicator lamp on the dash to indicate that the cruise is ON and active.

I would look into how difficult it would be to add a lamp some place on the drivers dash that will light up when the cruise is active. It could be as simple as connecting a lamp to a wire coming off of the VIP controller.

I was considering putting a low voltage led right into the "smartwheel" insert. Just a little light to indicate it's on

37 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Our 00 Sig does not have cruise indicator. Not provisioned in the cluster. I just remember to press the ON button but sometimes forget and just have to get up to speed again. Does not bother me anymore now that I know it. Our Jake is only ON when standing on the foot switch. The Hi/Low selector has no effect on cruise on its own.

Do you have to repeatedly press the resume button to get the rpm up? In the driveway I just hold it down and the rpms increase.

6 minutes ago, kenandjoanne2002 said:

Charles.  I remember some time ago another member saying that their cruise wouldn't work if one of the brake/turn lights was burned out.  Ken Parsons

I haven't thought about that. I will double check my lights.

39 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

Do you have to repeatedly press the resume button to get the rpm up? In the driveway I just hold it down and the rpms increase.

Not sure if you ask about high idle to air up or cruise speed?

After start-up I wait for the oil pressure to drop a bit, not very long but I don't want to bypass filtration and then press ON, SET and hold Res to get up to about 1100 to air up. Short press, I think, only adds 25RPM, too slow to get there.  While in cruise, RES adds 1MPH, SET substracts it. Works fine with no indicator once I got used to it. If I want to speed up more, just get to that speed and press SET again. Holding RES does the same but it's just my way and I can control the boost increase instead of letting it go around the corner.

Guest Ray Davis
23 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Not sure if you ask about high idle to air up or cruise speed?

After start-up I wait for the oil pressure to drop a bit, not very long but I don't want to bypass filtration and then press ON, SET and hold Res to get up to about 1100 to air up. Short press, I think, only adds 25RPM, too slow to get there.  While in cruise, RES adds 1MPH, SET substracts it. Works fine with no indicator once I got used to it. If I want to speed up more, just get to that speed and press SET again. Holding RES does the same but it's just my way and I can control the boost increase instead of letting it go around the corner.

The small difference in these machines is interesting. 

On my 03 Windsor if I set the idle with the cruise the speed jumps immediately to about 1200.

However, I have an idle switch on my dash that raises the idle a little with each push, sort of like your cruise sw does.

31 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

On my 03 Windsor if I set the idle with the cruise the speed jumps immediately to about 1200.

However, I have an idle switch on my dash that raises the idle a little with each push, sort of like your cruise sw does.

When your coach jumps into high idle you should be able to reduce it with the cruise speed decrement switch.  This will give it a "not-so-high" idle.

The idle switch raises / lowers in 25 rpm increments.  I've often wondered what an extra 25 rpm would be good for . . . .

- bob

Attempting to clear up some minor confusion in this thread.

Some coaches with have a dash mounted switch called Idle which will move the idle up or down in 25 rpm increments.

Then using the Smart Wheel one can "warm" up their engine by activating the cruise button first followed by activation either the RES or SET buttons. One will run the engine at about 1200 rpm while the other runs the engine at about 1000 rpm's.

The Smart Wheel functions have nothing to do with the idle switch function.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
7 hours ago, cbr046 said:

When your coach jumps into high idle you should be able to reduce it with the cruise speed decrement switch.  This will give it a "not-so-high" idle.

The idle switch raises / lowers in 25 rpm increments.  I've often wondered what an extra 25 rpm would be good for . . . .

- bob

Yeah, that's how mine works.

15 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Charles,

After reading your last post, I may have confused the idle with the cruise.  Thanks for the insight.......

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, Dr4Film said:

Attempting to clear up some minor confusion in this thread.

Some coaches with have a dash mounted switch called Idle which will move the idle up or down in 25 rpm increments.

Then using the Smart Wheel one can "warm" up their engine by activating the cruise button first followed by activation either the RES or SET buttons. One will run the engine at about 1200 rpm while the other runs the engine at about 1000 rpm's.

The Smart Wheel functions have nothing to do with the idle switch function.

On my '03 Exec if the unit is in gear with foot on brake the RES / SET buttons do indeed raise and lower the idle rpm on the coach.