Y2K22 Software Bug - Honda

Many of the members have older Honda cars as Toads.  I have a 2010 CRV with a NAVI (navigation) display.  Over the weekend, I noticed that the time and date display were wrong, showing January 2002.  Hum, no way to set the date via the display screen and when I changed the time it wouldn't hold. 

So, after doing a google search, I discovered that Honda was hit with the Y2K22 software glitch. 

The reply from Honda is basically that they are aware of the problem and maybe by next August they will have a fix.

So, those folks having older Honda Toads with the NAVI system, you will likely see the wrong date and time on your Navigation system display.

Now, you ask why did this happen.  For the geeks among us - see below for the answer.

On the Honda NAVI system the Windows CE Firmware uses 31-bit (integer) instead of 32 -bit (unsigned integer) to store the Day/time info.  So 2^31=2,147,483,648 which is the maximum for storage.  The day/time format is like YYMMDDHHMM.  So for 2021/12/31 = 2,112,31h,hmm is working fine.  However, for 2022/01/01 = 2,201,01h,hmm which exceeds the maximum 2,147,483,648.  I really don't know why the firmware engineer would choose integer instead of the unsigned one for storing day/time information.

I'm sure Honda service departments are getting lots of phone calls.

Hopefully Honda will have a software fix - I do like seeing the correct date and time on my navigation display.

This isn't a problem on my newer 2020 Honda Odyssey but it can't be towed 4 wheels down.

Just sharing this information because I know a number of folks on the group use older Hondas as Toads.

• Like 1

Gee I’ll have to see if I have the Navi system. 2014 Honda CRV.

If your system allows you to change the date you are likely OK.  Mine sets the date using information from the GPS.  There is no option for me to change the displayed date on my 2010 CRV.  On my 2020 Odyssey, I can change the displayed date.

• Like 1

Thank you for the great explanation, I noticed the wrong time on my wife’s 2010 cross tour yesterday.  I came home and mentioned to her, but that’s as far as I went with it.  
I an glad you shared this information, I will be looking forward to August.

Well that news is one more reason we don't use navigation system on our 2014 CRV. The weakest navigation system I have seen in the cars I've owned. We use Apple Maps with iPhone mounted on a clip on dash. If you have an iPhone and haven't used Apple Maps in a couple of years take a look at that app. No I don't own Apple stock and have never worked for them. Just try to recognize good apps that are not Google, Maga or Twitter based.

Most cars Nav systems do not update without a cost or dealer visit which is also a cost.  Just use your google maps, Waze etc.  or other big name app that updates and gives upto date/ Real Time trafic n road conditions.  Also somthing like a Garman with lifetimen updates and  live trafic update capabilities will be less expencive then up dating your cars NAV system overer a 3 year period

Its in the palm of your hand and if driving hopefully in the holder on your dash.  For most phone plans, its included in your phones monthly cost.

Why use out dated information?

Thank you Frank. I had just started to dig into our 2008 Civic Hybrid’s manual to fix the clock when I saw your post! Will wait for the fix. We’re a three Honda family. (Her newer 2015 CRV, my old 2008 Civic, and our old but still reliable 1998 CRV TOAD)