RV Insurance

I would’ve thought it would be more expensive in NY than Florida. I would check out Liberty Mutual. I’m paying under 1k in NJ but obviously it depends on what type of coverage you’re looking at. 

13 minutes ago, Neil Loveless said:

We moved from NY to FL in the past year and my insurance with Progressive is up for renewal, I just discovered that the identical coverage went from $1,219/yr in NY to $2,514/yr in FL, can anyone recommend a more reasonable insurance provider?  Thank you for your thoughts.

I neglected to say that it's my RV insurance that went up so much, my car and motorcycle went up some, but not like the RV!

Check with a broke who carries multiple companies. 

When I finally finished our new house I asked our agent/broker to reevaluate the coverage on the new house.  We went through the appraisal software he had and increase the coverage by 50%, which in turn increase the premium by 50%.  He suggested he look at the rest of the companies he represented for a better option but suggest he look at auto & RV also.  I told him to give me a quote for all of it. 

Ultimately he recommended Auto-Owners Insurance.   I did my due diligence and did a search of the company, seemed to have good financials and ratings. 

They actually rolled the RV into the auto policy and the home owners was the same as I was paying prior to the appraisal increase.   I ended up saving ~$1K per year for all of it.

I now pay ~$550/year for the RV but this only allows for 6 months of usage, which we've never used that much anyway.  It it looks like I might exceed just have to call. 

33 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Check with a broke who carries multiple companies. 

When I finally finished our new house I asked our agent/broker to reevaluate the coverage on the new house.  We went through the appraisal software he had and increase the coverage by 50%, which in turn increase the premium by 50%.  He suggested he look at the rest of the companies he represented for a better option but suggest he look at auto & RV also.  I told him to give me a quote for all of it. 

Ultimately he recommended Auto-Owners Insurance.   I did my due diligence and did a search of the company, seemed to have good financials and ratings. 

They actually rolled the RV into the auto policy and the home owners was the same as I was paying prior to the appraisal increase.   I ended up saving ~$1K per year for all of it.

I now pay ~$550/year for the RV but this only allows for 6 months of usage, which we've never used that much anyway.  It it looks like I might exceed just have to call. 

Great suggestion, thanks, I'll definately look into this!

Get ready to do a lot of research.  Mine went up when I changed from Virginia to Florida, too.  Also, I know that Progressive “reviews” accounts every couple of years and they might change your rating.  I called them and was told the ratings go from “A” to “R” (I think).  Mine had changed from a “B” to a “C”, so my rates went up.  The reason mine went from “B” to “C” was because I hadn’t had a new car loan in the past 7 years and “studies show that drivers who are making car payments are better drivers than those who aren’t “.  What a bunch of crap.  I found out they use information from your credit report to determine your rate.  My credit score was very high, but it’s the “extra” information that they use.  I found out that they are not allowed to raise your rate based on credit report information.  However, they can disallow discounts.  That’s how they work get around the law.  If you look at your policy you’ll see discounts off the total premium.  

• Like 1

Maybe this is not well known, but you can not compare insurance premiums from one state to another.  It is based on your primary residence.  Even one community to another can have a different premium for the same coverage from the same company.  Your only recourse is to check many insurance companies who can write an insurance policy in your state.  That does not mean only companies in your state.  There may be insurance companies outside of Florida that can write insurance policies for residents of Florida.  We live in NY State.  Years ago I had a Progressive insurer in Ohio (that was able to write a NY State policy) give me a lower premium than my Progressive insurer right down the street from us.  The reason is that each insurer has an overhead tied into their premiums.  You can only insure with companies that can write insurance for residents in your individual state but that may not be confined to companies outside your state.  I am only familiar with companies that can insure residents of NY State.  We have a Department called New York State Finance Services that regulates and determines what insurance companies can sell insurance of any kind to the residence of NY State.  I can go on their web site and f9nd an alphabetical list of every company allowed to sell insurance.  That Department also accepts claims if I have a problem with my instance company but that is another discussion.  No matter what state you are in only certain companies are allowed to sell insurance in your state and comparing premiums from other states or even other communities in your state is comparing apples to oranges.  You have to do some homework.  In your case get whatever insurance you can just to make sure you do not have a laps in coverage.  Than you can do a lot of homework to check around to see if another company can do better, maybe much better maybe not.  If you find someone that can do better, have them take over and drop your present insurer.  I suggest that before people move their residency not just from one state to another but even from one community to another to first check with your insurance company about your home, car and RV insurance to see what changes may be involved.  Your credit report also makes a difference on your premium and that too is another discussion.  Good luck.  Stay safe, Stay well

Dick and Sandy near Buffalo, NY

2015 HR Ambassador 38DB

@000 Ford Toad

• Like 2

One needs to think about insurance when it comes time when the rubber meets the road.  That is when you have a loss and you have to file a claim.  That is when your coverage is not enough to bring you back to where you were before the loss.  

If there is a lien on your coach, the lien holder has first shot on the payments.  That leaves you with what is left after Katie shot at it.  Then there are the contents of the coach.  The first thing the adjuster does is to depreciate all the contents.  That is why you need to add a "actual replacement value" clause to your policy.  

Just a few more things to think about when you insure.

1 hour ago, vegaman19760 said:

Maybe this is not well known, but you can not compare insurance premiums from one state to another.  It is based on your primary residence.  Even one community to another can have a different premium for the same coverage from the same company.  Your only recourse is to check many insurance companies who can write an insurance policy in your state.  That does not mean only companies in your state.  There may be insurance companies outside of Florida that can write insurance policies for residents of Florida.  We live in NY State.  Years ago I had a Progressive insurer in Ohio (that was able to write a NY State policy) give me a lower premium than my Progressive insurer right down the street from us.  The reason is that each insurer has an overhead tied into their premiums.  You can only insure with companies that can write insurance for residents in your individual state but that may not be confined to companies outside your state.  I am only familiar with companies that can insure residents of NY State.  We have a Department called New York State Finance Services that regulates and determines what insurance companies can sell insurance of any kind to the residence of NY State.  I can go on their web site and f9nd an alphabetical list of every company allowed to sell insurance.  That Department also accepts claims if I have a problem with my instance company but that is another discussion.  No matter what state you are in only certain companies are allowed to sell insurance in your state and comparing premiums from other states or even other communities in your state is comparing apples to oranges.  You have to do some homework.  In your case get whatever insurance you can just to make sure you do not have a laps in coverage.  Than you can do a lot of homework to check around to see if another company can do better, maybe much better maybe not.  If you find someone that can do better, have them take over and drop your present insurer.  I suggest that before people move their residency not just from one state to another but even from one community to another to first check with your insurance company about your home, car and RV insurance to see what changes may be involved.  Your credit report also makes a difference on your premium and that too is another discussion.  Good luck.  Stay safe, Stay well

2015 HR Ambassador 38DB

@000 Ford Toad

Excellent advice, thanks for your time and your thoughts, and same goes to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my request!

Chuck B 2004 Windsor  is correct..    There are many clauses and provisions in every policy.  Know your coverage.  There are lots of ways to lower your premium but that will most likely lower your coverage and/or deductible.  Our insurance is more than the minimum required and if totaled in the first 5 years it would have provided a new coach of one year older.  If after the first 5 years (where we are now) if it is God forbit totaled, we get our full purchase price back.  Is  that expensive compared to others not having that provision, yes.  Not all companies can provide that kind of coverage and can usually only be done for new purchases.  If I change companies I will loose that coverage if totaled.  That is the coverage we wanted and our premiums reflect that coverage.  Your RV coverage is limited to what is part of the RV only.  It does not cover your clothes or dishes or anything that is not presently attached to your RV.  New additions such as more awnings, satellite antenna, etc would be covered.  But everything else from your sewer hoses, water hoses and anything not presently bolted down is not covered in your RV.  That is why people who are full timers must get a different type of policy to cover their possessions.  If not a full timer, your home insurance can be used to cover your possessions in your RV depending on your home insurance coverage.  That home coverage not only goes for what is in your RV but also what is in you cars. and is in effect for any issue not just in a totaled vehicle.   Do not be afraid to talk to your agent and ask questions about your coverage and make the changes you feel necessary and can afford.  Not everyone can afford the coverage we have so I don't tell people what to get.  I will make suggestions and provide information but we all need to know what coverage we have to be sure it is what we want and need.  Stay well, Stay safe

2015 HR Ambassador 38DB

2000 Ford Explorer Toad

• Like 2

Chuck B 2004 Windsor  is totally correct about enough coverage but you can also help yourself more when submitting a claim.  I will give you an example of what happened to us years ago.  Back in 2001 we did not have the large property we have now to store our coach at our home.  We used a local storage facility.  We were getting prepared to go to Talladega, AL for a NASCAR fall race and started to purchase lots of stuff to put in our coach for that long trip.  Anything we purchased for our coach we save the receipts in a separate envelope in our home.  Unfortunately our coach and five others were broken into while at that storage facility.  They trashed it and stole what ever they cold carry off.  Lots of finger prints collected but never caught.  We put a claim into our RV insurance with the police report and pictures for items that were attached and damaged or stolen, TV's, VCR, Microwave, Backup camera, shower wall, cabinets and more.  That was all covered (except deductible) and repaired in time for our trip.  However they also took or damaged clothes, dishes, pot and pans, bedding, anything they cold carry off or ruin.  I put in a claim for those possessions with our Home Insurances and submitted the police report, pictures and a copy of all the receipts of what we had purchased that was not part of the coach.  I got a check back for all those possessions in 10 days.  The moral of this story is that things do and can happen.  I suggest everyone keep all receipts for anything you purchase for your RV, your home and cars in separate files or envelopes.  Make a video of every part of your RV and your home inside and out because it might help your insurance company respond to any claim you have.  Insurance is just that, something to protect you if something happens.  But you also need proof of other purchases and such to help in any loss.  I hope no one has to go through what we did, but we were prepared and did not have to suffer more if unable to prove what our true losses were.  Stay safe, Stay well

Dick and Sandy

2000 HR Ambassador 38 DB

2000 Ford Explorer Toad

• Like 1

Not to Hijack the topic, but just for Information. E-Bikes are not covered under (Most if not all) RV policies like normal bikes. I needed to get a motorcycle policy to cover them for liability only (in case I  knocked someone down and they died, etc.) Cost was about $99/yr for both e-bikes.

• Like 1