Fuel filter relocation

After changing fuel filters for the first time I was wondering if it’s possible to change the location of the fuel filter located on the upper side of the engine.

It’s the FF5488 filter and what a bitch it was to change. When taking it off fuel runs down your arm because there’s no way to bring it down straight you have to turn it on an angle to get it down and out. Then to get it back on you have to put the Rubber O ring on and wants to fall off.  I don’t know if the O ring is normally snug on there but this one that came with the filter was loose and would just fall off. Made it extremely difficult when you can only get one hand up there. Anyways I got it done but don’t want to keep doing this every year. Has anyone relocated theirs or found a kit that works for this filter? I looked from underneath and it doesn’t look like it would  be any easier from the top side. looks like it would be hard to even see from the top.

You might source a 2um water separator filter with a drain on it.  This way you can partially drain the filter then lower it.  The ISC is engineered for a water separator filter at that location. 

Not sure about your motor (ISL?) but the ISC engine has the starter connection just below the filter.  One little slip and you're arc-welding a diesel soaked filter.  I pull the +12V line off the battery when I do that job. 

For the o-ring you can coat it with just enough grease to keep it in place while you lift the filter into place. 

- bob

I have the ISL 400 and the starter is below and I don’t think all that diesel fuel pouring down on it isn’t the best thing for it. I have to extend 

my arm all the way to reach the filter so it’s just in a bad place. I figure there has to be a way to relocate it. 

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

You must have the ISL-400 where the one filter is on the passenger side of the engine.

Luckily my ISC-350 has both filters right up front easily accessible from the rear engine cover.

ISC-350 Engine-01.JPG

My ISL has the same two fuel filters, in the same location, AND the one on the left (in your pic) side of the engine near the oil filter. I had no idea it was there for many years, and just replaced the two filters in your pic. I have not replaced the fuel filter on the left side of the Engine yet, but know it is just a matter of time and I'll have to do it. Not looking forward to it, especially after reading this post.

Bill

Edited by Corkman

1 hour ago, Corkman said:

My ISL has the same two fuel filters, in the same location, AND the one on the left (in your pic) side of the engine near the oil filter. I had no idea it was there for many years, and just replaced the two filters in your pic. I have not replaced the fuel filter on the left side of the Engine yet, but know it is just a matter of time and I'll have to do it. Not looking forward to it, especially after reading this post.

Bill

My 03 ISL has the fuel filters just inside the engine door, same as Dr4Film.  On my ISL that filter by the oil filter is a coolant filter.

3 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

My 03 ISL has the fuel filters just inside the engine door, same as Dr4Film.  On my ISL that filter by the oil filter is a coolant filter.

Now that you mentioned it I think mine is a coolant filter there too. I have more than one coolant filter and the one by the Engine is hardest one to get to.