Slide Gate Valve

Rick A

If you look at a new slide gate valve its lubricated with Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). As they get older they tend to get stiff and difficult to close. This is when the trouble starts. I've  have had my present values for about 7 years and they are still happy. I managed to keep them lubed by drilling a 1/8" hole at the top of the housing cap and squirting Vaseline into the slide valve with a small syringe. I used a Stainless steel screw to seal it off. You can then lube it regularly. 

• Like 1

Good thinking outside the box about heating the petroleum jelly.

If I remember correctly, a number of years ago there was a note on the old Bill D's site about drilling a hole in the valve cover and tapping for a small zerk fitting to periodically lubing the valve.

Bill B 07 Dynasty ( an old guy)

• Like 1

Hi Rick A. I have a 2005 Safari Cheetah, which in many ways is similar to the 2005 Dynasty. I am not familiar with a slide gate valve. Can you post a photo and approximate location of it? also, how may of them are there per slide?

2112962196_slide_gate_valve_LI.thumb.jpg.ca0a3629edd7f1d01e857ef4beaeb3f4.jpg

Just now, Rick A said:

2112962196_slide_gate_valve_LI.thumb.jpg.ca0a3629edd7f1d01e857ef4beaeb3f4.jpg

Hope this helps folks. 

1 hour ago, 1nolaguy said:

Hi Rick A. I have a 2005 Safari Cheetah, which in many ways is similar to the 2005 Dynasty. I am not familiar with a slide gate valve. Can you post a photo and approximate location of it? also, how may of them are there per slide?

Loel, we meet again. Hi. This is the sewer dump valve. I put up a photo.

47 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Hi Rick A, could you send me a photo too?

Gary 05 AMB DST

I posted the photo (courtesy Amazon).

Rick A, thank you for posting the photos. I suspected that is what you were referring to but wanted to be sure. John Rowin, your approach is interesting however have you noticed any issues of grease build up in your black and grey water systems? Coconut oil is generally solid at room temperature. At winter temp it is almost hard. Do you periodically pass hot water through the system to flush out buildup?

I use the soapy grey water to lubricate the dump valve blades as the grey tank is always the last one emptied.

Empty the black first, leave valve open. Empty grey tank, when the last of the grey is rolling out which is always the soapy water, close the black valve followed with the grey valve.

Never have had any sticking valves using this method for the past 14 years that these valves have been installed.

• Like 1

I discovered I have a drip from my black tank.  I replaced the valve and it was hard to close so I replaced it with a different brand but still getting a drip. I feel like the first time I replaced it the O-ring on one side bunched up and was causing the leak.  I made sure it didn't happen the second time.

Has anyone else had a leak that wasn't because of the slide valve?  What did you do?

9 hours ago, Rick A said:

Curious, is the leak inside the valve or on the outside? 

I'm not really sure where the drip is coming from.  It is dripping from the valve area so it could be the O-ring or one of the joints nearby.  I drips down into the wet bay and then onto the ground.  I haven't been able to stop it.  I really don't like the idea of it dripping on the ground.  I was at a electric/water only site so the hose opening had the "lid" screwed in, but some was still dripping out.  When I dumped, there was a good half inch of black water in the bottom of the wet bay.

Guest Ray Davis

Van Williams discussed the oring issue a while back and he made a simple device to gently spread the pipes for easier install. Here is a picture he posted.

20191129_165029_resized.thumb.jpg.7b66ae4d1e5fed53d01e38710abb3650.jpg

3 hours ago, tomevansfl said:

I'm not really sure where the drip is coming from.  It is dripping from the valve area so it could be the O-ring or one of the joints nearby.  I drips down into the wet bay and then onto the ground.  I haven't been able to stop it.  I really don't like the idea of it dripping on the ground.  I was at a electric/water only site so the hose opening had the "lid" screwed in, but some was still dripping out.  When I dumped, there was a good half inch of black water in the bottom of the wet bay.

Sounds like one of the O ring has AWOLed. They can be difficult to position. Van Williams gadget might have help but it had been invented yet when I needed it. Hahaha. Patience and leverage.  

I recently had a drip around my waste gate valve and found the ABS plastic glue fitting on the slide gate had cracked.  For a temporary fix I put ABS glue around the crack and put a hose clamp around the outside of the fitting. I eventually replaced the whole setup with a Valterra Double Ell  waste gate valve assembly. It would have been a lot easier with the Van Williams tool.  Also, when putting in o-rings I like to use a silicone O-ring lube.  This helps the O-ring stay in place and not snag or bunch up.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, Rick A said:

If you look at a new slide gate valve its lubricated with Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). As they get older they tend to get stiff and difficult to close. This is when the trouble starts. I've  have had my present values for about 7 years and they are still happy. I managed to keep them lubed by drilling a 1/8" hole at the top of the housing cap and squirting Vaseline into the slide valve with a small syringe. I used a Stainless steel screw to seal it off. You can then lube it regularly. 

Rick, is the slide gate valve open or closed when you squirt the Vaseline in the 1/8" hole?

My slide valve is set up with the hole and screw already. I read another post from someone a while ago suggesting this type of lubricating method, but he suggested using white lithium grease. I tried this grease and was not happy with the results. I will try Vaseline next time 🙂

37 minutes ago, Corkman said:

Rick, is the slide gate valve open or closed when you squirt the Vaseline in the 1/8" hole?

My slide valve is set up with the hole and screw already. I read another post from someone a while ago suggesting this type of lubricating method, but he suggested using white lithium grease. I tried this grease and was not happy with the results. I will try Vaseline next time 🙂

I tried grease on and old one and it went hard and make the valve stiff. I Stick with Vaseline and I spray in hot with the valve open work it back a forth 3 or 3 times.