Do you use a Pressure Regulator?

LakeBob

Hi All,

New owner of a 2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire IV.  Getting ready for our first stay at an RV resort in Florida and wondering if I need a pressure regulator?  Worried that they will restrict the flow?  

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input, not sure if we have a built-in regulator, need to check that.   I think all the lines are Pex, so they should be able to handle the pressure, might be better to be safe than sorry. 

I always use one.  To me it is cheaper to use one and never blow a pipe than to risk it and have a flood to deal with.  You can get ones that have meters at camping world.

RVGUARD RV Water Pressure Regulator Valve, Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge and Inlet Screen Filter for RV Camper Travel Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083HSQMHX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_BP45THX3V7EWKXB04Z0Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one you want.   It is adjustable, and I haven't had mine restrict the flow.  I would never hook up without it.  The Camping World regulators that I've seen and one that I owned previously, are non-adjustable, and they are restrictive by nature. (And basically junk).

As you say, the PEX is pretty stout, but joints and connectors are the weak link in the chain.   Water everywhere is not in my list of desirable events in an RV.  We had that fun in the house once, and 30 minutes and 1000 gallons made a huge mess of two floors and six rooms.  I don't even want to think about what it might be like to renovate a water damaged RV... shudder.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LakeBob said:

Hi All,

New owner of a 2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire IV.  Getting ready for our first stay at an RV resort in Florida and wondering if I need a pressure regulator?  Worried that they will restrict the flow?  

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, it is always safer to use your own regulator at the campsite water outlet.  Protects your hose and RV.

2 hours ago, LakeBob said:

Hi All,

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I can’t believe an adjustable water pressure regulator isn’t standard equipment on every RV made with plumbing. My flow rate is fine.

The cost analysis is so simple. A good pressure meter (adjustable) is about $65, the cost of a flood is mega $$. I built a remotely operated shut off valve that I switch off if I leave the unit for too long. 

Edited by Rick A

20 minutes ago, Rick A said:

The cost analysis is so simple. A good pressure meter (adjustable) is about $65, the cost of a flood is mega $$. I built a remotely operated shut off valve that I switch off if I leave the unit for too long. 

Thanks !

14 hours ago, Steve P said:

RVGUARD RV Water Pressure Regulator Valve, Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge and Inlet Screen Filter for RV Camper Travel Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083HSQMHX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_BP45THX3V7EWKXB04Z0Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one you want.   It is adjustable, and I haven't had mine restrict the flow.  I would never hook up without it.  The Camping World regulators that I've seen and one that I owned previously, are non-adjustable, and they are restrictive by nature. (And basically junk).

As you say, the PEX is pretty stout, but joints and connectors are the weak link in the chain.   Water everywhere is not in my list of desirable events in an RV.  We had that fun in the house once, and 30 minutes and 1000 gallons made a huge mess of two floors and six rooms.  I don't even want to think about what it might be like to renovate a water damaged RV... shudder.

Not sure of the brand I have, but it is similar and I got mine from Amazon, too.  Always use it.

5 hours ago, tomevansfl said:

Not sure of the brand I have, but it is similar and I got mine from Amazon, too.  Always use it.

That’s it! In Canada that sucker cost me $65! There is a fool born everyday - that was my day! 

I use a shore water pressure regulator when needed. If I am unsure about the water pressure at the location where I am staying, then I will always install mine at first until I know for sure whether it is absolutely needed or not. If the incoming water pressure is constantly around 50 psi I will remove it after a couple of days.

I always have my onboard water pump activated as there have been places where the water pressure has been well below what the onboard pump maintains.

I hate having low water pressure!

Here's my 2 cents.

1.  Before connecting always flush the water source for at least 1 minute to get debris and stale water out of the lines in the ground.

2.  Take an alcohol wipe and clean the faucet and threads of the hose connection.  (What did the last person use this water source for?)

3.  Connect your pressure gauge and if the reading is over 60 p.s.i. (or per your manufacturers specification) use a PRV.

4.  Gradually open the valve so as not to have a rush and test for leaks.

5.  Always turn the water off at the source when leaving camp.  There are horror stories available to convince you of the necessity of doing this.

6.  Some areas require water softeners or filtration systems, carry them with you.  Suggestions for products are below.

CARBO Instruments 2- 1/2" Pressure Gauge,Water Pressure Test Gauge, 3/4" Female Hose Thread, 0-200 PSI with Red Pointer  $8.95

Renator RV Water Pressure Regulator Valve. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge for RV Camper, and Inlet Screened Filter. M11-0660R  $28.00

Camco 40043 TastePure RV/Marine Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector | Protects Against Bacteria | Reduces Bad Taste, Odors, Chlorine and Sediment in Drinking Water.  Nominal 20 micron granular sediment and activated carbon filter.  $18.53

Camco 40019 TastePURE XL RV/Marine Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector | Protects Against Bacteria | Reduces Bad Taste, Odor, Chlorine and Sediment,Extra Large Filter & Hose Protector.  nominal 20 micron granular sediment and activated carbon filter, extra large lasts longer.  $28.84

Beech Lane External RV Dual Water Filter System, Leak-Free Brass Fittings, Mounting Bracket and Two Filters Included, Sturdy Construction is Built to Last

Beech Lane filter comes with 5 micron sediment and 0.5 micron carbon block filters.  Standard 2.5x10 form factor.  Carbon block is much more efficient than granulated carbon.  $64.99

As far as water softeners, I am not as familiar since we normally get water from the mountainous areas near us.  I have used all of these products and can attest to their effectiveness.  No affiliation.

Guest Ray Davis
50 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

1.  Before connecting always flush the water source for at least 1 minute to get debris and stale water out of the lines in the ground.

2.  Take an alcohol wipe and clean the faucet and threads of the hose connection.  (What did the last person use this water source for?)

I do those actions as well with the exception I use a spray can of Lysol to sterilize the faucet.  

I always use my pressure regulator.       Why not use it?          This is the one I use.    RVGUARD RV Water Pressure Regulator Valve, Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer With Gauge And Inlet Screen Filter For RV Camper Travel IIRCC it's about $30.

I concur with previous posts on this subject,I agree with Ray and have a regulator valve similar to Ray's but paid $45-$50  for it because prior one purchased from Camping World,made in China was pure junk. At the time the second one I purchased I insisted it was made in America,(probably why the extra $)and have had nothing but perfect results from it.I like I'm sure others have shared my situation that made me a quick believer in this piece of brass. Ten plus years ago while headed to a summer in Idaho finished a 400 mile day up on the wheel,pulled into campground with reservation for our two spots to find a note to me with campsite# etc. We both find our sites,I hook up water/electric forgot to put the generic 45-50 lb regulator valve on hose when hooking up.Was in a hurry to go assist my buddy get his fifth wheel set up.Walking back 15 min. later to see water running out of my wet bay! Shut off water ,see I screwed up by not putting in reg.valve ,then the fun began finding and repairing the damage. Not exactly what I wanted to do @ 7pm after 400+miles for the day,that time slot has Scotch written in it! Come to find out the water pressure popped the fill line at the back/inside of my AriaII Deluxe Toilet..causing the flooding of bathroom.Luckily found it within reasonable time and kept confined to bathroom area.Pulling the toilet and repairing it wasn't in the schedule however we know as RVers we always have unscheduled maintenance at sometimes we do not plan on. BTW...Upon trips in/out doing repair,met a fellow camper that said had similar problem and introduced me to "said-valve."After I completed the fix to waterline disconnect causing flood,said neighbor offered me the option to hook his reg.valve to my water supply to see what pressure was...my pressure was in excess of 120lbs. Lesson learned ;I kind of treat it like my American Express Card...I don't hook-up without it!I love that it is easily adjustable also even though rarely need to do.This is true story I forgot to mention,let me back up a bit! After I found my water leaking out of wetbay and shut off water,I was not a happy camper... I look around ad spotted a new arrival that pulled in right behind me while I was helping my 5ThWheel get in.The evening was getting dark ,they had their lights on inside their camper and as I am looking I see what appears to be "raining inside their camper" I walk over to the back of their camper to see a Paper-plate denoting that they had just that day purchased their very first bumper pull RV!I knock on their door see inside to see two very wet adults trying to figure out what was going on.I had all I could do to contain myself...I explained  perhaps they should shut off the water!It was then they explained they just picked this brand new camper today and this was their first Night! I often wonder if they continued to RV!! I went back to my Monaco and trying to explain to my wife what I had just seen and suddenly was very lucky and happy with the inconvieince of only having to R&R my toilet and mop up the tile floors! It could have been much worse! We have crossed that RV Campgrounds off our list...it was a converted KOA I believe in Provo,Utah.

Bruce E.Crocker

2004Diplomat40'PDQ

On 1/19/2022 at 3:42 AM, Dr4Film said:

I always have my onboard water pump activated as there have been places where the water pressure has been well below what the onboard pump maintains.

I hate having low water pressure!

I tried that once. It didn't boost pressure from the spigot I was hooked up to. It just used all the water from my tank!

If I pull in to a park late, I only hook up power. I'll use tank water till the next day when I have time to set up my filters, softener etc.

Edited by 96 EVO

Ben, I can't speak to your specific situation as I don't know what water pump your coach has or how it is plumbed.

However, my coach has had only the Aqua-Jet ARV55 water pumps which has a minimum psi of 60 and maximum psi of 75. Definitely higher than where I have my pressure regulator set at which is 55 psi. 

So, when my water pump kicks in the pressure increases maybe not quite to the minimum of the water pump but certainly higher than what the shore water psi happens to be at the time. When I am at parks that have terribly low water pressure, I only use the onboard water pump then use the shore water to fill my 80 gallon tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question related to this link. In the photo you can see the pressure regulator we have and above it is a device that I assume is a flow restrictor or fixed pressure regulator that was installed on the coach.

Do we need both or can I remove the circled item?

What are the pros and cons of removing this item?

TIA, Martin

water-connection.jpg