CB and AM/FM antenna locations

Guest KenAVTech

Guest KenAVTech

Yup I know CBs are kinda out dated but I’m a guy who likes things to work. 2003 Monaco Camelot 34PST. Has 2 Antennas one on the PS, one on the DS roof. Both are a pain in the butt to get off! )?&@“! ;0). Which side is which antenna??  ALSO why are neither bases ground to the rig through a ground plain or is the front cap aluminum cored and grounded to the frame. Which means the screws in the mount do the grounding maybe!?

Ken

If the same as my 2001 Dynasty, the one on the PS is the CB antenna and there was an inadequate effort to provide a ground plane. I think some folks have glued a piece if flat sheet metal onto the roof around the antenna as a solution. unless I am mistaken, it doesn't have to be grounded to the antenna--just has to reflect signal. the one on the DS is for a cell phone and is a different type which needs no ground plane.  I am not an expert in this area--just researched it years ago when trying to improve my CB reception.

Guest KenAVTech

Thanks for the info, I did determine today that the PS is the CB. The DS I have not determined as of yet, Im hopefully its the AM/FM antenna. but if  not any idea were they did put it?

CB radios may be “old school”, but having one in the coach proved to be worth it’s weight in gold when (pre TPMS), a trucker called us on the radio to alert us to a flat trailer tire. Also, finding out about an accident in real time vs. Waze, etc., is a nice feature.

As for the ground plane, I have not been able to find info on what, if anything, the antenna is connected to other than the roof. Our coach is an 08 Camelot 42pdq.

I see no evidence of a ground plane on our 05 Exec, even though there should be one.  My CB antenna is above the passenger seat and I've had to replace it 3 times from getting broken from hitting trees.  Our am/fm antenna is over the bedroom on the driver side.  If you have one up front over the the driver side it may either be for a cell phone or possible Sirius radio.  The question would be is how tall is it?  I think you'll find those old CB antennas are about 2ft tall and any ground plane for them should, at a minimum, be 2ft in Dia.  I've been contemplating replacing our crappy CB radio with a VHF/UHF ham radio (I still have my HAM license).  FM makes a world of difference.  That said, I believe the FCC is going to (maybe already has) to allow a portion of the CB freq spectrum to go FM so there may be some hope for it, until the truckers take over and ruin it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Donflem said:

Wow did you really say until the truckers ruin it. I say thank you and god bless the truck drivers. 🙏

God bless the truckers as well but they sure as hell ruined the CB radio frequency.  NONE of them know how to talk into a microphone.  It's nothing but trashy garbage and noise now.  Nothing like when it was first created.  For someone who doesn't want to go through the trouble of getting a HAM license then GMRS would be the next best bet.

• Like 1

Guest KenAVTech

So I did a continuity check on the CB cable and the center was grounded to the shielding! So I took off the cb antenna and pulled the cable. Found out who ever put the CB side connection on screwed it up. might have been this way since 2003. 

I once have 2 antennas the CB on the PS is about 12” and coiled before it goes into the base. 

The DS antenna is about 15” and is very flexible. I pulled it apart and cleaned all the corrosion off , but I still need to do a continuity check and see if its the AM FM or ?

As for a ground plane I would think that the fiberglass roof would do the job. Small Composite Aircraft have antennas on them a our ground plane is a strap of aluminum that is grounded to the battery and the radios work fine. Im not a CB installer but I am an  aviation technician. If someone knows CB please splain it to me Lucy! ;0). All the CB shops in my area are closed until Monday.

• 2 months later...

Our CB cable is disconnected where it passes through the roof. It is a right-angle connection with a positive peg, but it doesn't look like any connector I've ever seen before. I have a 2000 vintage Windsor. Anyone have any ideas on what that connector might be called?