Jump to content

Mold above ceiling


MSHappyCampers
 Share

Recommended Posts

I had a leak above our bathroom that that took forever to run down.  I have found that I have mold above the ceiling and need to find out what I can do to get rid of it.  The ceiling is vinyl with a 1/4" layer of foam rubber on top, with 1/4" wood above that.  The foam and the wood above is black with mold.   Sure hope someone can advise me on this.  Thanks!

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Find a local company that specializes in mold extraction and let them handle it.  This is the number one choice. OTOH, you can use a mix of bleach and water that will kill 'most' of the mold spores. it's up to you whether you feel you can adequately kill the spores that may cause health problems with your family.  It becomes a cost vs convenience kind of thing and one that only you can decide. While you're mulling over your choices, consider what you'll do when/if it comes time to sell. Do you disclose? Not disclose? Tough decision...Best of luck ...Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dennis H said:

Find a local company that specializes in mold extraction and let them handle it.  This is the number one choice. OTOH, you can use a mix of bleach and water that will kill 'most' of the mold spores. it's up to you whether you feel you can adequately kill the spores that may cause health problems with your family.  It becomes a cost vs convenience kind of thing and one that only you can decide. While you're mulling over your choices, consider what you'll do when/if it comes time to sell. Do you disclose? Not disclose? Tough decision...Best of luck ...Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate your comments.  I've been looking online at mold killing sprays available at Lowes and Tractor Supply.  Some of them have very good reviews.  Just not sure about using them on the foam rubber since there is no mention of that.  It seems most of them are made for hard surfaces.  

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joe, I agree with the bleach and water mix.  That should kill any that you have .  Having lived on the MS Gulf Coast through many hurricanes, I’m not sure anything is better.   You will likely still have the black stain left , but the source should be dead.  That’s the ultimate goal!

As long as the ceiling lining foam stays in place and the mold is dead, you should be ok.  Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

I had a leak above our bathroom that that took forever to run down.  I have found that I have mold above the ceiling and need to find out what I can do to get rid of it.  The ceiling is vinyl with a 1/4" layer of foam rubber on top, with 1/4" wood above that.  The foam and the wood above is black with mold.   Sure hope someone can advise me on this.  Thanks!

Joe

Joe

Are you positive that the "black" is harmful?

https://titaniumlaboratories.com/do-it-yourself-mold-test-kit-swab-news-12/

Have you had it tested?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Joe

Are you positive that the "black" is harmful?

https://titaniumlaboratories.com/do-it-yourself-mold-test-kit-swab-news-12/

Have you had it tested?

 

No, haven't had it tested.  

36 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

I had a close friend die from in hailing black mold spores.  It was a very painful death.

That's SCARY!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MSHappyCampers said:

No, haven't had it tested.  

Joe

Testing showed what I thought was black mold in my ceiling material was "diesel exhaust residue".

It was the result of  a poorly insalled/improperly sealed joint between the rear fiberglass cap and the floor of the coach, (not by moisture)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Joe

Testing showed what I thought was black mold in my ceiling material was "diesel exhaust residue".

It was the result of  a poorly insalled/improperly sealed joint between the rear fiberglass cap and the floor of the coach, (not by moisture)

Wish I was that lucky!  I've had this leak for quite some time and there's no doubt that it's mold.  It was a really bad leak around the Fantastic Fan vent in the bathroom.  Finally got it stopped with liquid rubber!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently used these on my shower ceiling at home.  Sprayed it on the painted ceiling and was thinking i would need to paint, but they did the job.  The Mold Control has no scent and no bleach.  It did ok at stopping the mold, but the Mold and Mildew (bleach) from Dollar General took care of the rest. 

1586219555333529919314695702842.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...