fixing or adjusting shower door on a 2005 Safari Cheetah DST

Or tub/shower enclosure door is hinged on the left side (facing from outside the shower) and closes on the right against a 2nd panel of glass enclosure. On the outside of the shower door are two towel bars attached through the glass panel, and on the inside there is nothing but the screws and washers for attachment of the bars. Closing the door from the outside requires lifting up on the door by the top trim edge or one of the towel bars. From inside the door must be raised by the top trim edge of the door glass. Once inside the shower I can lift the door to open it but my wife is not tall enough (or strong enough) to do this. I am guessing the problem can in part be corrected by adjusting the door hinge but this does not address closing the door from the inside. Any help would be appreciated.

On mine, I made sure the glass panel was securely attached to the wall.  You might try putting an additional screw in the top to make sure it has not sagged.  Also, I took the door off and put a washer under the bottom pin to raise it up a little.  Mine no longer drags and opens and closes easily.  Hope this helps.

Jim

• Like 1

I found that if the shower isn't aligned and square its going to be a constant irritation. If there is a lot wear and tare then its usually just the nylon bushes in the door hinges. With my shower I can marginally adjust the opening size so they are exactly the same size.  I think Jim, above, has some good advice. The shower has to be firmly secured to the walls, and putting nylon washers under the door should make it smooth and and easy to open. 

On our 02 Windsor it was the upper screw that functions as the “hinge”, or pivot point that had bent. Straightened that and handle gently and we are good! 

On another note, Has anyone been able to find a replacement sweep gasket for the bottom of the shower door? From the time that ours was misaligned it wore/ripped the gasket. I have not been able to find a replacement

I used the same fix on my Diplomat. My panels were not loose. Parts are available at some Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware in the nut and bolt department in the slide out drawer boxes. 

Be aware of the gasket on the bottom of the door if it is still there. Should just touch lower frame when closed with a slight amount of curl on it!

Thanks guys. Armed with your comment I took a more detailed look at the shower enclosure. It appear that in fact it is wracked slightly. The panel does appear firmly attached to the wall but the outside corner where the top right of the door (opposite where the door is hinged) meats the panel edge (opposite of where it is a fixed to the wall) the panel is leaning out about 3/8" , just enough to create the closure problem. I also think I have found the cause as we usually hang the towels over the panel to dry and have been leaving them up when moving, which likely adds strain on the panel. I am going to try tightening the wall attachment, just to make sure it is snug, and make sure we stop putting the towels up there or at least leaving them when traveling. In the meantime, just pulling in on the top of the frame slightly causes the door to close properly with no effort.

Thanks All.

PS- still hoping I can squeeze in to the meet up in Florida in February.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear shower door on my DST is very uncooperative.  The nylon washer will do the fix.   How does the door come off the enclosure?   There is not enough of a gap on the hinges to lift-and-pull.   Before I start attacking it with my Milwaukee...  Does the top bar of the enclosure over the door come off?  The bottom bar?   The whole enclosure????

46 minutes ago, bklaes said:

The rear shower door on my DST is very uncooperative.  The nylon washer will do the fix.   How does the door come off the enclosure?   There is not enough of a gap on the hinges to lift-and-pull.   Before I start attacking it with my Milwaukee...  Does the top bar of the enclosure over the door come off?  The bottom bar?   The whole enclosure????

I was trying to think, on ours I believe I lifted up and moved the bottom in towards the shower and the bottom pin came out of the bottom hole and then I was able to manipulate the door so the top pin would come out. I did have to have help getting the washer to stay on the pin as I move the door to line up to put it back in though.

I don't recall if there were any set screws holding the pins in place or not, seems like there might have been.

Check the frame of the door(pin side) where it meets the shower frame.