Broken Cargo Bay Door Latch

How do I repair the broken latch on our cargo bay door? Do I need to drill out all the rivets holding the interior panel. I cannot see any other way to get access to the latch. And any recommendations on where to find a replacement latch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Vic

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

Vic;

I just repaired one of mine on a 2002 Diplomat.

There should be 4 screws on the back side of the latch that will allow you to remove the latch assembly.

Mine had a pin on the pivot point of the latch that fell out. I replaced it with a pop rivet that was the exact size of the broken pin.

Works well. I would send pictures, but it's pouring rain.

Cliff

Vic,

I just replaced the electric actuator for one of my '06 Windsor bay door latches.  There was an access panel on the inside but the mounting bracket was still covered partially by the inside bay door panel.  So rather than removing all of the rivets on the panel, there are a lot, and then putting it back.  I used a multi tool with metal/wood blade to cut the panel and bend it back to unscrew and remove the latch mounting bracket.  You should then be able to access the latch.   Afterwards I just bent the cut panel portion back over the mounting bracket and used a metal screw to affix it back in place.  Yes it is not the prettiest, but not noticeable much given the multi-tool makes a thin cut and it is on the inside so no one sees or knows.  If you do this, just be aware of when cutting the panel the location of wires and braces behind where you cut.  If you do not want to go this route then the only other choice I know of you have already mentioned.  Remove all the rivets on the inside panel and put back.

TriMark were the manufacture's of my latches and helped me.  www.trimarkcorp.com - 1-800-431-8616

You didn't say what was broken. Perhaps you don't know yet?

I just repaired one on my 2001 Dynasty that looks exactly like yours. I removed the rivets on the inside panel/plate to gain assess, installed a small bolt on the side that the pin had fallen from. The repaired latch is a little stiff to move, but still works and I didn't have to replace it with one that was a different color.

If you chose to replace it, this is where you can buy one (I purchased a new one as a spare, in case these get hard to find later).

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/searchresults.asp?Search=190004&Submit=

Question: my 2001 Diplomat has two bays that extend the full width of the basement. One door has a locking latch and the one next to it doesn’t have a lock (never has had a lock, it has a blank in the latch instead of a lock).

The weird thing is there is no separation between the two bays. Is there supposed to be one, it doesn’t appear to be designed for one. How can I add a lock?  It does no good to lock one and not the other. The doors on the opposite side are the same way, one locks and one doesn’t.  All you’d have to do is open the one with no lock and you can reach in and unlock the door next to it.

BTW, the door for the LP tank doesn’t have a lock either but it is separated by a partition. i can see where a lock would be an obstacle if there ever was an emergency.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2022 at 9:21 AM, Corkman said:

You didn't say what was broken. Perhaps you don't know yet?

I just repaired one on my 2001 Dynasty that looks exactly like yours. I removed the rivets on the inside panel/plate to gain assess, installed a small bolt on the side that the pin had fallen from. The repaired latch is a little stiff to move, but still works and I didn't have to replace it with one that was a different color.

If you chose to replace it, this is where you can buy one (I purchased a new one as a spare, in case these get hard to find later).

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/searchresults.asp?Search=190004&Submit

I removed the rivets to repair my door latch also.  One of my dowels had worked its way out.  For reference they are an alloy steel dowel pin, 1/16" diameter by 1/4" in length.  

8 hours ago, b_faster said:

I removed the rivets to repair my door latch also.  One of my dowels had worked its way out.  For reference they are an alloy steel dowel pin, 1/16" diameter by 1/4" in length.  

That is exactly where I used a pop rivet to repair my latch $ .10 rivet is better than $54.95 for a new one that you have to paint!

9 hours ago, CLIFF918 said:

That is exactly where I used a pop rivet to repair my latch $ .10 rivet is better than $54.95 for a new one that you have to paint!

Agreed I purchased a 50 pack of dowel pins for $10.00 no painting, latch is now tight as new and I can fix 25 more in the future.   I changed both sides, seeing as I was in that far. 

2 hours ago, b_faster said:

Agreed I purchased a 50 pack of dowel pins for $10.00 no painting, latch is now tight as new and I can fix 25 more in the future.   I changed both sides, seeing as I was in that far. 

Can you please provide a link to where you bought the Dowel pins from? I like that idea and that would fix mine better than I have done with the bolt

1 hour ago, Corkman said:

Can you please provide a link to where you bought the Dowel pins from? I like that idea and that would fix mine better than I have done with the bolt

At the time 3 or so years ago, I bought them from Amazon.  I couldn't get the same product when searching today.  However I did find these:

https://www.huyett.com/products/fasteners/pins/dowel-pins/dow-187-0750

22 hours ago, vpedersen said:

Thanks for sharing all the ideas and information. I now know what to do. Sure appreciate all the support!

I believe the whole assemble is made by Trimark.

image.png.f40aad125d9271da42faa23272999487.png

Edited by hitechpete
Photo

On 1/28/2022 at 6:24 PM, b_faster said:

At the time 3 or so years ago, I bought them from Amazon.  I couldn't get the same product when searching today.  However I did find these:

https://www.huyett.com/products/fasteners/pins/dowel-pins/dow-187-0750

John L, the correct dowel pin size is 3/4" long and 3/16" in diameter, is that correct?

1 hour ago, Corkman said:

John L, the correct dowel pin size is 3/4" long and 3/16" in diameter, is that correct?

That was the size of the pins on my 2000 Windsor.  The latch appears to be the same latch pictured earlier in this thread. 

IMG_5813.JPG.968ffef1df61ece9f9002a8e0e99c8c8.JPG

Sorry for the late reply, but I was technology  disconnected over the weekend.  It was a good weekend.