House Battery Roll Out Tray

thompson_skip

So I finally got the KV drawer slides today.  The package was in pretty rough shape and USPS had a nice note taped to it apologizing for the condition.  Luckily the slides were wrapped in heavy paper and had packing stuffed around them so them were OK.

These drawer slides are heavy duty compared to the the slides that were on the battery tray, and naturally the dimensions and hole spacing didn't match.  Luckily the way the originals were installed it elevated the tray off the bottom of the mount shelf.  The side support pieces of the new slides were quite a bit wider and I found I could rest them on the bottom of the mounting support tray. 

I decided to use the hole locations in the tray and drill new holes in the slides.   The new slide does not come apart so I had to be careful to alight openings while drilling new holes.  So I used the piece of the old slide as a template.  I positioned the new slide so the front portion matched and drilled a hole using my drill press, then clamped the two pieces together and drilled 3 more holes, 4 total per side.  I used 3/16" x1/4" rivets that I bought at Tractor Supply. 

After i got both new slides drilled I decided to go ahead and use one rivet toward the front of the tray and attach the slides to the tray.  I then took the whole thing and placed it in the battery compartment.  There is a tray lock across the front and I used this to located the slides in relation to the side supports.  None of the holes lined up so I decided to use 1/4" X 1" SS bolts and lock nuts.  Drilled the holes at the very back and put bolts in on both sides at the rear.  This positioned the new slides so that the tray would slide all the way back and the locking mechanism worked.  After confirming it was in the correct position I drilled out the two rivets that I previously installed and I was able to remove the tray.  This allowed me to finish installing two more SS bolts.  Since the slides actually rest on the lower support these bolts don't have a lot os weight but prevent the whole thing from moving out of the battery compartment.   Considering they originally used ~4 rivets that had the whole tray taking all the weight I think the SS bolts will be fine.  PLUS, I can remove the whole tray if needed. 

After I got the slides mounted in the battery compartment I put the tray back in and riveted in place using the holes I predrilled in the slide, this went pretty quick since the holes all aligned.   I then tested, and found that locking mechanism sat a little lower and  I had to trim just a little off the locking mechanism, used a small grinder.  I could have shimmed the new slides up a little off the bottom but having them sit firmly on the bottom of the compartment was a better option so having to trim a little wasn't a big deal.  Tray worked great and I did lube it before putting batteries back in. 

Here are a couple pictures, one with the new slides mounted in the battery compartment without the tray.  The other is with the tray and batteries with the new slides. 

Battery Tray Slides.jpg

Battert Tray with New Slides.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Looks like an old thread, hopefully still active.

I have one tray for house batteries and a lot of space above for another tray that could be installed.  I thought this would be an easy project to increase to 8 6v, but can't seem to find a tray with the correct sizes.  The opening is 22 9/16 wide and slightly over 19 deep.  I was actually planning on replacing the bottom tray too as its not sliding very well.  I could replace just the slides and reuse the tray.  However, the new upper tray would have to be fabricated.  

Did Monaco buy enough of these that they could order an odd size?  It really seems odd that I can't find a tray that fits. 

Also, battery question... if I add 4 additional 6v to the existing 4 6v is that going to create a "charge level" issue?  In other words should I buy 8 new batteries so they are all at a similar level?

52 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Looks like an old thread, hopefully still active.

I have one tray for house batteries and a lot of space above for another tray that could be installed.  I thought this would be an easy project to increase to 8 6v, but can't seem to find a tray with the correct sizes.  The opening is 22 9/16 wide and slightly over 19 deep.  I was actually planning on replacing the bottom tray too as its not sliding very well.  I could replace just the slides and reuse the tray.  However, the new upper tray would have to be fabricated.  

Did Monaco buy enough of these that they could order an odd size?  It really seems odd that I can't find a tray that fits. 

Also, battery question... if I add 4 additional 6v to the existing 4 6v is that going to create a "charge level" issue?  In other words should I buy 8 new batteries so they are all at a similar level?

No help on the trays.  A LOT of discussion.  Monaco had custom fabricators.  YOU might try Northwest RV Supply.  They bought everything that didn't move when REV sold it all.  Some folks have the skills to weld and fabricate their own trays and have done that and ordered new tracks...or you can get quotes from a shop.

As to the Charge Level. IT DEPENDS.  I would ONLY use batteries that were exercised and proven and tested (NOT a load tester like most use) using the Trojan method.  I outlined that in the attached paper in our files.

You must make sure the electrolyte is filled properly.  Then you do a Specific Gravity Test (SP).  All the cells within each battery must be close...VERY close to a calibrated SP tester....not the floating colored balls.  THEN, you drain them about 3 times.  Each time you take them down, you use a specific load.  You need a 250 Watt Quartz Halogen work light to do your set.  After they have been drained or exercised....the LAST TIME....you turn off the Disconnect.  THEN you pull the jumpers.  THEN you wait maybe half an hour.  THEN, you read the SP for each cell....record and average it.  Then you also read the Voltage.  YOU look that up on the table.  If the SOC is in the 80 or 90%, you can probably mix them.  

New batteries, each in the same set, and then mixed with older batteries, will NOT last as long.  That is a fact and Trojan and all the manufacturers make that comment.

SO, if they are less than 80%...  it is a crap shoot.  

Read the White Paper...

I did the writeup on how I rehabbed my lower battery tray.  I have a chassis battery tray above my house battery tray so Monaco did install 2 trays. 

There might be enough room to install a tray above your tray, depends on the height of the battery.

IMHO it would probably be easier to remove your current tray and take it somewhere to be duplicated.  On mine the bottom of the tray had seen better days and the sides were in good condition.  So you might have them sister another piece to the bottom of your tray. 

Just make sure your measurements are correct taking into account the width of the slides.

I painted mine with POVR, which seems to be holding up pretty well.   

Thanks Jim,  I had seen your write up on the tray.  That is what got me thinking about adding an upper tray.  I am planning on replacing the Norcold fridge at some point and more battery capacity would help with that.  Seemed like it would be easy...  order one and install it.  However, this is turning out to be a bigger project than I had thought.  I'm thinking I'll check with Kwikee directly and see if they make that size, but it is just not carried by the online stores.  Perhaps a special order item?

What prompted me to rehab mine was that one of the HD drawer slides failed, the ball bearing keeper got jambed and I lost the ball bearings, once that happened I was pretty much forced to do something.  While I had it out I cleaned/stripped and repainted.  Mine had pretty severe corrosion and I hope I caught it early enough.  

I doubt you will find a tray the same size but you never know.  If you find a tray slightly narrower you would be able to add a shim piece.  I have about 2" of space on the side of my batteries. 

A last option is to have one made that will fit.