No power

TOBYLB4

Power worked fine all the way to Florida. Got to Clearwater KOA on Saturday soon after hooking up power went out. Aladdin was flashing soon after had a medical emergency with my mother. We got back late that evening and shore power was on and working. Up Sunday and soon after shore power went out. Had to move to a new site in the park. Had a tech here check it out but everything was working fine.  He thinks the transfer switch is getting stuck. After returning home Sunday evening power was out again had to run generator all night. Up Monday morning and rig was out of level so shut the generator down and started the engine to level. Found if the engine is running shore power works. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Your engine has nothing to do whatsoever whether you have any shore power or not. There is no interaction between the engine and the 120 VAC shore power line.

Need a lot more information as to what works and what doesn't when using shore power, Inverter power, generator power, etc.

Do not get the information confused when checking each power source especially if you always keep your Inverter ON.

Your transfer switch needs to be opened up and evaluated thoroughly for correct operation.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

intermittent power is pretty common with a faulty "salesman" switch solenoid.  Usually there is a power switch near the entrance that connects to a solenoid.  Open the rear engine bay and have someone flip that switch on and off.  You should hear a click in one of the many solenoids mounted back there.  Sometimes tapping on it will get it unstuck or like me you can just disconnect it.  Starting the engine may have accomplished the same thing as tapping on it to get it to engage.  Its an easy fix if this is your issue.  Jim

Here we go again.  The OP did not include any information about what if any devices are in the circuit between the power post and the main power panel in the coach.  We are not mind readers.  Transfer switch?  EMS HW 50C?  Some devices can shut down power if the voltage is too high or too low.  It has already been determine that the RV park has power issues.  

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Gary's problem may be a continuation of a problem he had last yr.  Sometimes these issues disappear for a while only to rare it's ugly head again later.

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/2010-power-loss-07-dynasty/#comment-15746

Our coaches having different systems such as chassis & house 12v, 120v shore power, inverter pwr, and generator power is mystifying for a while. 

Here we go again.  The OP did not include any information about what if any devices are in the circuit between the power post and the main power panel in the coach.  We are not mind readers.  Transfer switch?  EMS HW 50C?  Some devices can shut down power if the voltage is too high or too low.  It has already been determine that the RV park has power issues.  

I had an electrial problem where i dropped 1/2 coach power intermittently and fimally hit on factory molded power plug was broken inside and would drop a leg depending on how you plugged it in or moved it around. Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, bandmmorris said:

I had a similar problem a few years back and it turned out to be a dead spotad in the cord reel. If I turned the reel slightly sometimes it would work.

I never liked the theory of using a slip ring on a 50 amp shore cord reel. Those are disasters waiting to happen. I have a Glendinning Cablemaster Reel which is easy to use providing that you keep the cord clean as it retracts into the accumulator bin.

Update I've been dealing with my mother's medical emergency. When I found time figured out it was the transfer switch. I was using battery power even though it said I was hooked up to shore power. Shore power was not working. Batteries would get low and if I started the coach it would charge them.  Moved to Jupiter today and knock wood it's back to working, guess the ride jogged it lose. New switch on the way. Alos found the heat sensor for the house Batteries was broken. Any thoughts on where I can get a new one.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:53 PM, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Not sure what you are saying Chuck but thanks anyway. Have a great day.

Gary,

Glad you were able to isolate the true problem and cause. When one has any power problems it is crucial to make sure that the three main power sources, shore, generator and Inverter are not intertwined convoluting the information.

Hopefully you haven't ruined your House Batteries by discharging them too deeply. You should have your Inverter/Charger setup to allow your generator to start up when the House Batteries get to 12.1 VDC which is 50% SOC. You will get more life out of your House Batteries by not letting them get lower than 50% SOC.

What brand and model of transfer switch did you decide to purchase?

Sir, I purchased a TRC Surge Guard 40350 RV3. This is a replacement for my discontinued 40250 RVC. I did replace the house batteries as they were 6 years old. New transfer switch will be here today. I have searched my manual for how to set up my inverter charger to start generator. Didn't find anything on that. Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks Toby

The TRC Surge Guard 40350 Transfer Switch does NOT talk with the Aladdin System. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that information. The Surge Guard Transfer Switch model that does communicate with the Aladdin System is model 40450-RVC.

Can't help you with the Inverter/Charger as I have no idea what brand, model and remote display your coach has installed. Normally you would have instructions in the manuals on how to setup the remote parameters for Auto-Gen- Start.

My coach has the Xantrex/Trace RV2012 2000 Watt MSW Inverter/Charger with the RC7-GS Remote. If yours is the same which I doubt I would be happy to send you the instructions on the proper parameters for the Auto-Gen-Start feature.

So I talked to Maryville Marine where I purchased the 40350-RVC3 about the 40450-RVC3. He said they both say they communicate withe RV. So he emailed the factory tech to ask him. Waiting to here back. 

Thanks again for your help.

6 minutes ago, TOBYLB4 said:

So I talked to Maryville Marine where I purchased the 40350-RVC3 about the 40450-RVC3. He said they both say they communicate withe RV. So he emailed the factory tech to ask him. Waiting to here back. 

I have a 40350-RVC and can tell you it will NOT communicate with Aladdin.  You will need to install the Southwire remote monitor as well as a new communication wire to that remote.

On 2/2/2022 at 7:27 AM, TOBYLB4 said:

Not sure what you are saying Chuck but thanks anyway. Have a great day.

We need to know what devices you have in your coach from the plug that is plugged into shore power to all the devices you have on your coach from where the power cord is plugged into shore power all the way to the main power panel in the coach.

32 minutes ago, TOBYLB4 said:

I have already been down that path as I discovered that the previous owner of a coach I am purchasing had the wrong transfer switch installed when it was replaced. The data on the electrical screen of the Aladdin has no information on it. I called technical services and talked to them directly. That's when I was told that model 40450-RVC was the only transfer switch that talks with the Aladdin system.

The good part is that the 40350- RVC has the ability for a remote display which will take the place of the Aladdin Electrical Data Screen.

Since the transfer switch installed by the previous owner is a completely different Surge Guard Model than what you are purchasing (Model 42160) I have decided to install the Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C with Two Displays prior to the transfer switch and leave the fairly new transfer switch in place.

Edited by Dr4Film

Thanks Sir for your help. The southwire tech says neither one will work with my Aladdin. So I have ordered the remote display also.

Everyone has been so helpful.

One other issue. I need a battery sensor for my inverter. Does anyone know where I can find one? Mine was broken off at the battery post.

Again, battery temp sensors are specific for the brand of Inverter you have. Can't help you unless you tell us which brand you have.

The Southwire Tech that I talked with said that the 40450-RVC is the only model that communicates with the Aladdin System. That transfer switch is anywhere from about $600 to over $800.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, Dr4Film said:

Again, battery temp sensors are specific for the brand of Inverter you have. Can't help you unless you tell us which brand you have.

The Southwire Tech that I talked with said that the 40450-RVC is the only model that communicates with the Aladdin System. That transfer switch is anywhere from about $600 to over $800.

Where you able to actually talk to anyone at Southwire?? Called them today and all you get is a recording directing everyone to their website and fill in all your personal info to try and get an answer as to which transfer switch is a direct replacement for a Surge Guard 40250?? Do they really need my address to point me to the correct product??????