Brakes - pulling, honking

My 2005 HR Scepter has some brake issues. 

Some history:  When I step on the brakes, sometimes they honk like a goose.  Faster, harder application of the brakes honks louder.  An IRV2 forum discussion of a similar issue identified the problem as a quick release valve or exhaust port, but the discussion was for a noise when the brakes were released, not applied.  It could be the same issue and solution – I don’t know.  I have lived with it for more than a year as it didn’t seem to cause a problem and the IRV2 discussion implied it was only a sound issue and not dangerous (they said replacing the air brake valve solved the noise issue).  But I didn’t realize until now that I have noise on applying the brakes, the IRV2 discussion talked about noise when releasing the brake pedal.

Lately (6 to 8 months, 4000 miles) the brakes have started pulling to the right – sometimes a lot, sometimes minimally, when I apply them.  It pulls more the harder the brakes are applied.  You can feel it through the steering wheel that it is the front brakes/wheels causing the pulling issue.  But driving is still quite manageable.  Maybe if there is less honking noise they pull less, not sure about that.  The coach has disk front brakes, so slack adjusters aren’t the problem as it doesn’t have them.  I don’t know it the honking noise is even related to the pulling issue.  I am stymied, and could sure use some advice.

I would appreciate any feedback the forum can offer.

Thanks,

Dave Jones

Time to have it checked by a competent truck shop. My coach started pulling to the right and I found out the caliper had rusted and was hanging. VERY expensive fix BTW. Unfortunately, IIRC, the calipers were specific to 2005, made by Bendix and are no longer available.  Finding replacements was very difficult and no one wanted to rebuild them. I had to have a complete brake overhaul, done by Spetrac in Mesa Az. They did an excellent job and my insurance took care of a lot of the bill. Good luck, but I'd have it checked. My TPMS alerted me to overheating on that wheel so it was dragging while underway....Dennis

That sound like a potentially cheaper fix than brake hardware issue. You or someone has to identify the actual location and source of the air escape sound, external or internal. At least you seem to know which corner is effected.

Might also help to know if you hear it for the duration of brake activation or just when the pedal is going down. 

BTW, disk brakes can have slack adjusters too, at least ours do, front and rear.

Edited by Ivan K

21 hours ago, Ivan K said:

That sound like a potentially cheaper fix than brake hardware issue. You or someone has to identify the actual location and source of the air escape sound, external or internal. At least you seem to know which corner is effected.

Might also help to know if you hear it for the duration of brake activation or just when the pedal is going down. 

BTW, disk brakes can have slack adjusters too, at least ours do, front and rear.

It sounds like the honk is coming from the brake treadle, and only honks as I apply the brakes.