Velac 2030 Mirror Base Bolts

I have searched the web an several forums for Monaco owners to see if anyone can help me understand the Velac 2030 mirror base bolts that hold the mirror assembly to the coach.  I have not found anything specific to my issue so posting an inquiry to Bill D's.

My issue is a lot like everyone else that has this mirror.... the bases are a mess from peeling chrome on the bases.  My dilemma is that the base is attached to the coach using lag bolts that have rusted.  The bolts appear to have a 1/2 inch hex head that does not have enough clearance between the edge of the hex and the base wall opening to allow a standard 1/2 socket to be used for removal.  I can grind off the mirror based around the hex head but I would prefer not as my plan is to send the base off to be re-chromed  properly to stop this in the future.

So my question to everyone... am I correct that Monaco used this method to attach the mirrors at the factory or do I have a unit that was altered with a different screw to secure the base.  If they are factory, has anyone been successful in removing them and what method did they use.

Thank you in advance.

Did you try a thin wall socket? Sometimes I will use my 1/4” drive sockets in these types if scenarios as they tend to have a thinner wall. Or buy a cheap socket and grind down the outside to fit?

Edited by ncsteve

Rusting mirror bolts is a common problem and your bolts may have been replaced with the next larger size. 

If you have a Snap On 6 pt 3/8" drive socket it should fit.  If not, then use a Harbor Freight socket and grind down the head.    

Some of us have drilled out the mirror holes and used long bolts with nuts and large fender washers on the inside.

Marc & Lori,

I just finished doing almost the same but I sent arms and base to Spacecoast Plating in Melbourne Florida to have them strip the chrome and return to me to paint. Cost about$100 vs 10X that to re-chrome. I definitely would recommend them as they do many velvacs with this problem.

The bolts you refer to on my 2003 coach are stainless steel and have a Phillips head. They came out easily.

If yours are rusting/corroding you might try going on the inside of the front cap and grinding them away. You should have no problem if you make the bolt holes bigger as the base is very large and you can reseal after removing bolts. 

Good luck.

-Jamie

I did try going with the thinner 1/4" bugger and same issue.  was better but still too thick.  I am going to go the cheep socket grind method you and David suggested.

I spoke to a Monaco guru at J&S in Portland a few minutes ago and was told the factory put the Phillips stainless steel on at the factory.  I am clearly the beneficiary of post OEM workmanship.  Go figure.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1