06 Monaco Camelot Temp Gauge ??

The Temp gauge on my (new to me) 06 Monaco Camelot with Cummings LSI400 has no numbers to read actual temperature. The gauge has; C, H and the two lines that I assumed would be the operating range. So far I have only one 50 mile trip to move the coach to storage. The 50 mile trip had minimal hills and I wasn't towing. The outside ambient temp that day was in the high 20's and I expected the gauge to read in the middle or towards the cold side, but it hovered around the line closest to the HOT side. I believe that the typical operating range should be around 185-205. Can anyone tell me what that should equate to on the gauge with no numbers? Is it typical for that gauge to read so high in cold weather?

Ted, my 2006 Cayman has the same gauge and it drove me nuts when I first got it.  It ran right up to the high mark of what I would call the "normal running range" and it would stay right there.  I put in a new Cummins 190 degree thermostat---no change.  Changed out the coolant temperature sending unit---no change.  Did a very thorough cleaning of the radiator and CAC---no change!  On the last test run I decided to stop at a local diesel mechanic's shop and ask him to hook up his computer to my engine and tell me just how "hot" I was actually running.  It was a hot Texas day.  He said "Its perfect, 187 degrees".  I couldn't believe it, but there it was on his fancy, high-dollar computer!  I went out and bought a Scan Gauge D, hooked it up and sure enough it read 188 to 191 degrees running on flat road.  Going up a hill it would climb 4 or 5 degrees and taper back off on the downhill.  Perfect!

Carey

2006 Cayman 5.9 ISB

My gauges work in that they all move when I start driving but none of temp, pressure, volt is accurate.  Drove me crazy. 

Best thing I did was start using a Silverleaf VMSpc about 9 years ago, it shows all the vital info on engine and transmission (except EGT, wish it did this).  There are other options out there, Bluefire & Scangauge are two of them. 

I also installed the Scan Gauge D.  It was one of the better investments I made.  I found the dashboard gauges on our 2003 HR Scepter are not very accurate.  The Cummins runs at 182 F.  When we go up a grade, the temperature increases a few degrees until we reach the summit, and then comes back down.  I found cooling and performance are optimized by gearing down and keep engine RPMs at 1900.  I really recommend the Scan Gauge D.

+1 for Scangauge as it was the cheapest and no effort option when I wanted to verify accuracy of my gauges. Nothing fancy but did what I needed. Likely no more expensive than having someone to hook it up to Insite. Since I know now that the gauges work fine, I keep the display on RPM, water temp, oil pressure and oil temp for a quick verification once a while at night when my gauges are hard to read. Need to figure out how to make the needles visible in the dark... gauges light up but needles remain dark. Will try black light now that I think of it again...

On 2/3/2022 at 7:44 PM, Ted Carbonaro said:

The Temp gauge on my (new to me) 06 Monaco Camelot with Cummings LSI400 has no numbers to read actual temperature. The gauge has; C, H and the two lines that I assumed would be the operating range. So far I have only one 50 mile trip to move the coach to storage. The 50 mile trip had minimal hills and I wasn't towing. The outside ambient temp that day was in the high 20's and I expected the gauge to read in the middle or towards the cold side, but it hovered around the line closest to the HOT side. I believe that the typical operating range should be around 185-205. Can anyone tell me what that should equate to on the gauge with no numbers? Is it typical for that gauge to read so high in cold weather?

Didn't your Camelot come with the Aladdin Jr system?

4 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Didn't your Camelot come with the Aladdin Jr system?

It probably does have the Aladdin Jr system. The coach is in storage, so I can't confirm until early next week. We are about to embark on our maiden voyage (02/12/22 - ???) and I'm just trying to get up to speed with all systems prior to departure. My previous experience has been with older, less equipped RV's. At this point, I clearly don't know what I don't know. 

Based on some recommendations here, I have ordered a Scan Gauge D. If my Camelot is equipped with Aladdin, maybe I don't need it. But I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

As a new to Monaco owner; I'm grateful for all recommendations and advice.

Well, if you see Aladdin Jr printed above / below a little joystick on your dash, with engine running, press the select button on you rear camera monitor several times. You should get to the Aladdin channel. From there, you use that little joystick to scroll thru various engine / transmission readings, trip meters, etc. 

On 2/11/2022 at 6:30 PM, Ted Carbonaro said:

Turns out the "Magic Bus" 06 Camelot does NOT have the Aladdin system. My new ScanGuage D can in the mail today. Looking forward to connecting it as we hit the road tomorrow.

Well that's strange!

They installed the JR system in the later years.