Extractor Fan Mod

Rick A

There is a mod that adds another level of comfort and class to your Motorhome/RV. I inserted timer switches on both the toilet and shower fans. This saves reaching up to that annoying little red buttons than need to be turned on and off. Invariable they just run unabated until somebody switches them off. Inserting these timers was very easy. The wiring runs inside the vanity cabinet in the shower area and the toilet area wires runs in into the other cabinet and then via ducts in the walls. 

B5B8B430-D3B7-4EE4-B1CA-9675AB98D6CB.jpeg

F27808EB-825F-4146-AA89-5B0AAABEEB5D.jpeg

If you need more details let me know and I’ll explain the process in detail. Really worth doing in my opinion. 

• Like 1

This is a neat idea. For us it could be helpful as my DW can not reach the "red" switches. A couple of questions: 1) where did you source the switches?

2) what gauge wire did you use? I am thinking 24 or 22 gauge would be enough to go from switch to fan.

• Like 1

I bought these manual spring loaded versions at HomeDepot Canada but you could go “one up” and put in digital switches which I am considering. There are numerous versions on Amazon. I used the same gauge wire as the red button switch.  

This is a brilliant idea, especially in the bathroom for me. I looked in my cabinet and could not see any wires for the ceiling fan. It take it the timers are just a make or break device so it does not matter if they are made for 12v or 120v ?

I guess I'll have to see where the fan wires run in my bathroom on my 2000 Diplomat.

We just leave the fan hoods open. When it’s very cold we push in the foam covers. I guess in extreme cold this mod is only one part of a two part problem. 

11 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

This is a brilliant idea, especially in the bathroom for me. I looked in my cabinet and could not see any wires for the ceiling fan. It take it the timers are just a make or break device so it does not matter if they are made for 12v or 120v ?

I guess I'll have to see where the fan wires run in my bathroom on my 2000 Diplomat.

My timer wires run in the existing roof ducts. If you are going to use 110 volt your going to creat a huge new problem. I wouldn’t do that, stick with the 12 volt DC. The wires run in the existing roof ducts, then down inside the cabinet to the switch. I used black Gorilla tape to stick the wires to the inside cabinet wall. Can’t see anything and it looks very pro and neat. Yuh stick with 12 volt it only requires two wires to bridge the switch. 
I’m going to look at motors to open the hoods as per 1nolaguy “implied” suggestion. There’s always another mod lurking on the mod. Hahaha. 

Edited by Rick A

I do know there is a replacement fan that you can buy from Dometic (?) that has a remote control and a motor to open and close. It may also have a timer, not sure. I looked into it a while back. It does have temperature control. It was actually pretty reasonable, I think ~$250 ? Worth looking at. I think it was this one Fan-Tastic Vent K6600R-417 Vent Upgrade Kit

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rick A said:

We just leave the fan hoods open. When it’s very cold we push in the foam covers. I guess in extreme cold this mod is only one part of a two part problem. 

My timer wires run in the existing roof ducts. If you are going to use 110 volt your going to creat a huge new problem. I wouldn’t do that, stick with the 12 volt DC. The wires run in the existing roof ducts, then down inside the cabinet to the switch. I used black Gorilla tape to stick the wires to the inside cabinet wall. Can’t see anything and it looks very pro and neat. Yuh stick with 12 volt it only requires two wires to bridge the switch. 
I’m going to look at motors to open the hoods as per 1nolaguy “implied” suggestion. There’s always another mod lurking on the mod. Hahaha. 

I think that Bob meant the voltage rating of the contacts, not that he was considering using a 120V supply.

While this arrangement would be handy in many situations I would want a switch the also allows for the fan to stay on. We frequently leave our fans on all night and our bedroom windows open, much like a whole house fan. It really helps cool off the bedroom at night.

1 hour ago, Tom Wallis said:

While this arrangement would be handy in many situations I would want a switch the also allows for the fan to stay on. We frequently leave our fans on all night and our bedroom windows open, much like a whole house fan. It really helps cool off the bedroom at night.

In which case you can simply reach up and switch the red button on and it’ll run until you switch it off.  This system simply bridges the red switch to the timer.

Edited by Rick A
  • Like 1