Repair of Power Gear 90 degree rear slide gear box

Our 2000 Monaco DIplomat 36DS rear slide gear box is failing. Lippert tells me parts are no longer available. Coach was built at HR Indiana plant. Have searched Monacoers for information. None found. Have located Power Gear Manual and it does not discuss or show the 90 degree gear box. 

Attached is a video showing the two bevel gears not messing on each rotation in either direction.

Has anyone removed this gearbox from mounting. I am thinking of doing so and seeing how to best replace gears. I have found a number of sizes of 1:1 bevel gears on Amazon.

Gearbox sits inside bed box and is located in close proximity to FG engine cover on one side and plywood bed box on other. Can probably remove cross shaft by removing end board of bed box or using hole saw to cut large enough access hole in end board. 

Pat C
2000 Monaco DIplomat 36 DS

Just by watching the video it looks like a thrust issue. As the drive shaft rotates it's being thrust downward (as viewed in video) causing the gear teeth to disengage and skip. I would pull it out and see what's going on. Most or all the parts should be ready available from gear and bearing companies. Lippert didn't make the parts, they just sourced them from a supplier.

As to how to remove/repair/reinstall that will most likely be exploratory mechanics but doesn't look to tough as long as you have good access. While taking it apart, look for whats allowing the shaft to move. Could be something as simple as loose mounting bolts.

Don't know if this helps but more eyes are better then less.

Everything helps. Just had post back from 3D design pro who suggested McMaster Carr as a gear source. Thanks for comments.

Pat

Are we talking about same post. Mark III to me is a Lincoln and 100-4 is an early Austin Healey to me. 

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox for wardrobe slide disassembled in a little over an hour. Thanks to Bob Schmeck for photos and info regarding his experience dismantling the task was very easy. Also thank to this YouTube Video showing use of a Palm Nailer to remove split and/or rolled pins in 4 locations. https://youtu.be/ULat0604dSc Now waiting for two bevel gears to replaced those damage. Believe that gears were damaged as the 4 bolts securing the drive motor to gearbox were slightly loose and allowed motor bevel to pull away and miss the cross shaft bevel gear. Bolt looseness was not noticed until we started to loosen those bolts to back up the motor bevel to clear cross shaft bevel.

Big Thank You to Bob

IMG_6347.JPG.jpeg

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6217.JPG