Still dizzy and ready to upgrade

That’s it I’ve had it. Whacked my head twice today on the tv hanging down into the entry way.  Literally had to sit down and wait for stars to subside for a minute or two. This tv has credit for multiple TKO’s to friends and family since we purchased coach. Working on an 07 PAQ. Lookin for advise/pics on mounting tv flat on ceiling or behind couch. Couch is on slide so looking at cabling issues. I have some skills so nothing scares me but just wanting to avoid mistakes from your experiences. 

Edited by dchief61

Steve,

I removed the entire headbanger cabinet and installed a 32 inch Samsung TV between the two cabinets. I had a custom bracket welded up that is attached to the sides of the cabinet which the TV is bolted to. The cabling is accessible from underneath. I also had my finish carpenter make a cover from the TV cabinet that was removed which covers up all of the cabling. I had him install two matching puck lights with a dimmer switch to the cover also.

Photos attached

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

Samsung Front TV 012.JPG

Samsung Front TV 010.JPG

Samsung Front TV 018.JPG

• Like 3

Ok, am I the only one who LOVES the steer horns? I would mount them on the front of the Uberbounder like a brush guard to warn other drivers.

Those are awesome! (probably not in in a rollover, but who cares).

I had a 6 ft set in college over my bed. Almost killed me when the bed got moving and they fell off onto my date’s head.

Then, after being married a few months at age 22, they “magically” disappeared while I was on a business trip. Mrs. Taylor v1.0 claimed (at the time) no knowledge why they were missing. Go figure.

“Good times….”

CFD1C88F-7351-41A1-A9F9-3C971DA88AC8.jpeg

Edited by StellaTariche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis
20 minutes ago, StellaTariche said:

I had a 6 ft set in college over my bed. Almost killed me when the bed got moving and they fell off onto my date’s head.

Was there an earthquake?  🤣 

Richard, do you bring the horns out as a hint to the DW?  :classic_wink:

Edited by Ray Davis

Those Longhorns have been retired to the garage for now. However, they were always a conversation piece wherever we were parked. When we were Full-Timing and parked I would set them on the fans. When traveling they were on the rear bed. Now that we are Part-Time RVer's I got tired of moving them around, hence why they are now in the garage. They may become a Garage Sale item eventually.

I purchased those back in 2001 at an antique shop in Old Town Temecula CA when I was still living and working in California.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply’s. I’ve decided to go the route of Richard and Bill. I have removed the cabinet for the tv and ordered two moride mounts   I am hoping to cut and weld the two together to make it sliding and have a 360 swivel. That way we can push the tv toward the windshield to keep it out of the walkway. Going with a 40”. I will post photos once it’s done. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Have you done anything on your TV modification.

I currently have a 32" mounted to the old box which I did not modify so it is still an occasional head banger.    I've been thinking about redoing but I can't see how I could get a 40" TV to fit without completely modifying the all the front cabinets or at minimum adding some width to stiles on either side to make them wider then 2" and then cutting the doors down a little to give me enough room. 

The smallest width of a 40" TV is 35.5" which is about 1" more then I have unless I do the above.  I could stick with a 32" TV but would like to go up if modify the box.   I have the ability and equipment to do this but want options if possible.

How did you do you do yours????

Jim

Edited by jacwjames

I also bang my head a few times so I removed the old tv and cabinet. Took the cabinet to cabinet shop and had them to cut the old cabinet down to size of remaining cabinets. Then found a door (still looking for better match) on eBay to fit the new opening in cabinet and then built me a tv lift cabinet on non slide out of Windsor for a 43 inch tv.

I finally had enough time to layout what I call my "Counter Table" to replace the old table that attached to the wall where you could sit 2 people one on each side. The table itself was narrow so you would almost be eating out of the other persons plate. Then it stuck out in to the walk way from the front and back of the coach as you passed through the kitchen. Even with the slide out it was in the way, but with the slide in it was really in the way and I ran into that thing several times while parked in storage or leaving or sitting up for a trip. We did not use it for eating and it was just a place to sit things. It had to go. After reading other threads about remodeling the kitchen table/both from others I knew there must something to fit my sit up. After finding the counter top approach in my 1st post here, I knew I could design something that would work. Now also no bumping into table and have plenty room for 3 people to eat and look out the window. The counter table is 73" long and 19" wide. Towards the right end it tapers out to 24" for about the last 2 feet.

48B690BA-7C50-47C6-BA91-BF05E9CB61D4.jpeg

E13A1D3C-3B9D-4D3E-A127-EB75F6606157.jpeg

A2FD282A-3A8A-4E30-A9D9-318A3F32AB95.jpeg

488DE211-98E3-4B2A-BB39-85118E8E48FC.jpeg

DD8F84BD-1348-4A90-BE45-9C86CD534D15.jpeg

If it was just me I'd do the same thing, install a TV lift opposite the couch.  BUT, and this is a big but, that is where my wire puts the large dog crate for the Anatolian Shepard (+130 lbs) that she's just started taking to dog shows.  It pretty much takes up the whole space.   I think if I would mention doing this it would the start of WWIV (or what ever number we're up to by then)!

So I am left with either keeping a 32" TV in the front with minimal modifications to the overhead cabinet OR doing some major work to get a 40" to work.  Based on the cost benefit analysis at present I'm probably leaning toward the 32" option.  I have a 32" TV now but it is not as user friendly as the newer TV's with the channel guide and if I buy a new one it would probably be ROKU system installed that would connect to WIFI for streaming. 

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm looking to pull my second couch on the slide side and use my 60in Plasma. I've looked at lifts, tv stand, and cabinets with no luck finding exactly what I want. I'm trying to avoid building something from scratch, but that is an options worst case.

Kerry

Thank you for the nudge and motivating me for the update.  The project is 90% complete.  I removed the old TV and cabinet and purchased the only 39" tv I could find which was from Best Buy.  In order to make the 39" fit, I had to trim the passenger side cabinet, removing about 1", which avoided to necessity to cut down the cabinet door.  The swing down TV bracket was purchased from amazon.  It is made by Moryde. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XKQ2VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also had to buy an adapter plate to make the bracket fit.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07771JFVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To install, there is two metal braces up in the ceiling.  I was able to attach the swing down bracket to them.  Once bracket was mounted and wiring routed, I fabricated panels from 1/8" plywood and vinyl to cover the side of the cabinets and the openings created by removing the cabinet.  Initially I used foam under the vinyl, but had to remove it due to clearance issues.  It is a very tight fit.  The bracket has to be dead on or it will rub on either side.  If I were to do it again (which knowing me it will) I would have gone wider, modified the cabinet on the passenger side, and cut down the cabinet door to get a few more inches and go bigger on the TV.  But, the 39" is plenty big, and noticeably larger than the old 32".  

The black pole hanging down is so that when you lower the TV you have to spin it 180 degrees. I then slide it back up the pole to ceiling height.  I say it is 90% because my plan is to sleeve the pole so that I can remove it once I have slid it up into position.  

Overall very satisfied with the install.  The view enhancement out the front window is considerable, and no more wacking my head on the cabinet.

IMG_2606.thumb.jpeg.b5eba32438121627093999f50979e67f.jpegIMG_2607.thumb.jpeg.be7170bb37e719a95b9524122d4077e6.jpegIMG_2608.thumb.jpeg.d693dcf9be33fbbdada6ef4647008641.jpegIMG_2609.thumb.jpeg.f74c7eecb2829c707f134af067671633.jpegIMG_2610.thumb.jpeg.c34f712bc36166793af06cd894d14ff7.jpegIMG_2611.thumb.JPG.4c78dbbcc7e73c3049e8a0dd28b11d06.JPGIMG_2613.thumb.JPG.392c93b6ee74b03304aa305126bd4d25.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2604.JPG

Edited by dchief61
  • Like 3