Aux compressor

Georgia Mike

Getting ready for a trip and I have my Dynasty parked in the driveway. I leveled the coach and the HWH system did it’s thing and I got the little flashing light. After about 30 min I heard the system adding air to the front because my driveway is sloped it has to keep the front elevated because I have a slow leak in the front. After a few hours of this I noticed the front was going down lower and lower. I have realized that my on board compressor isn’t working. I have looked through the forum and it seems it is located near the drive axle or near the front. Does anyone know where it is on an 06 Dynasty and where the fuses are located? I only have a few days before I leave and trying to figure a solution in case my camp site isn’t level. Can’t run the refrigerator if it’s way out of level. 

Hi Mike,

My fuse is in the drivers side outside fuse bay.   It is a square box like fuse.   Is your leak coming from the air bag?  I stopped using the pump as it is very loud. I pulled the fuse.  What I do is use the auto level to get it level then I change to manual.

Best,

gary

Thanks for all the replies. The only thing in my front run bay is one 15 amp and one 5 amp marked air level and they are both good. I am going to bring some wood blocks and block the frame rails where the air bags are to keep it from going down. Hopefully I will have a level site. 
question.. where do you plug in to air up your tanks with a compressor? I have two quick connects in my side bay with a gas and air line next to each other is that where you connect your external compressor at or is there another location?

1 hour ago, Georgia Mike said:

I have two quick connects in my side bay with a gas and air line next to each other is that where you connect your external compressor at or is there another location?

If you have 2 air quick connects, one should be a male for air inlet and the other a female for outlet. My inlet is up front by the generator, outlet by propane tank. Not to be confused with possible propane line hookup.

Our HWH 12V aux compressor is located above the rear axle on the passenger side.  Some of the coaches have it located above the front axle.  HWH uses a Thomas 12V aux compressor.  This is the same one used in dentist offices so it is very quiet.  You can buy a new pump on eBay for $399.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274254098482?epid=2254404699&hash=item3fdad17032:g:De4AAOSwCH9ePY-H  

Or a used one for $80.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125137042791?epid=2254404699&hash=item1d22bfbd67:g:9kgAAOSwnu5iARbR

There is a small blade fuse located on the pump assembly along with a White Rodgers solenoid.  

Picture in Post #20  https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/replacing-hwh-auxilary-air-pump-369684-2.html

The main issue is these pumps have an open armature and are not designed for dirty conditions.  Some folks are building covers or relocating it.

Let me know if you have any more questions?

Edited by vito.a

Mike, I would not jump to conclusion yet, there is a couple of other possibilities in the way from power source to the motor. But, if you jump the two posts on that plastic solenoid in your second picture and the motor does not run, besides a possible bad ground, the motor is the culprit. Before junking it, I would remove the rear motor cover (two Philips machine bolts) and check the brushes. Mine were just seized in their guides. 

20220211_143152.jpg

I take the 4 9/16” bolts out and remove the whole assembly when i work on it.   Its always the brushes for me.   While you have it out, you can get a short wire and test it with a 12v source.   I usually pop the hood and  use the toad battery for testing.   I did have to clean the overtemp contacts once, but be careful not to bend them.

There is a thread on here about moving it inside a real bay, I plan to do that next time it stops.    Or maybe over the propane tank.    That would be better than next to the back wheels.

Granville Barker

• Like 1

Thanks Granville for the information about removing the unit that’s what I am going to do when I return from this trip. While I was under checking the unit it was extremely dirty, it’s a wonder it works at all. I think I will make a box or something to that affect as others have done to help protect it from the elements. Main issue is figuring out why the front bleeds down so fast…..going to have go under and spray a lot of soapy water on everything. Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

FWIW I replaced the original 'HWH' compressor with a Viair IG (Industrial Grade) 450 as the original was no longer available at HWH. Works like a d***! Though abour changing the location but decided to see how it works in the original location in front of the drive axle. May fabricate an enclosure. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, granvillebarker said:

I take the 4 9/16” bolts out and remove the whole assembly when i work on it.   Its always the brushes for me.   While you have it out, you can get a short wire and test it with a 12v source.   I usually pop the hood and  use the toad battery for testing.   I did have to clean the overtemp contacts once, but be careful not to bend them.

There is a thread on here about moving it inside a real bay, I plan to do that next time it stops.    Or maybe over the propane tank.    That would be better than next to the back wheels.

Granville Barker

I am going to remove my compressor in a few days as I have not heard in run in some time. I have not been able to find a fuse. It is the original and it looks very dirty. Could you give some pointers on removing it what to check for when I get it out. I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Richard Silcox.  Ps mine is located above the rear axel