Tag Axle Pressures

Not talking tire pressures… ran 04 Dynasty at 45 but I was heavy on the back. Have to run my 08 Navigator at 50, again heavy on the rear. Picture is probably OEM gauge on the 08… goes to 160.

I’ve read a lot of threads on other forms and 40 psi is the norm for the tag’s airbags.

25F0DAE7-8693-482F-870D-0AD51D9118B6.jpeg

Edited by Ivylog

3 hours ago, granvillebarker said:

My 05 Dynasty has a 0-30 regulator as well, mine is set around 18 psi, based on scale weight.   I am not sure why we are reading about such high psi settings as well.

I wonder if some of you are talking about tire pressure.  If not, how are you adjusting a 30 PSI regulator to more, or did you replace it???

Please clarify!!!

Granville Barker

I know mine is at least a 100psi regulator, and may well be 160 like the previous members.

The "Parts List" provides this information:

air pressure regulator for tag Parker

The original regulator was a Parker 2617-MRK-3 and the gauge reads 0-60 psi In 2005 this was replace with a Parker 2617-MRK-5 and the gauge reads 0-160 psi Alternative correct replacements for the Parker regulator include: Grainger P/N 21U810, Parker P/N 06R118AC Norgren Regulator P/N 22ZD19, Norgren P/N 73G-RMG-7419 Grainger also has a Speedaire replacement for about half the price - not recommended.

I ordered the 21U810 from Grainger and it is substantially larger than my existing regulator, which is quite small.  Unfortunately, I did not look at the dimensions before ordering.   I don't have the capabilities to modify the bracket and really this unit is just too large for the space. 

Has anyone installed one of these? 

Trying to upload pictures..... having issues. 

Just now, LakeBob said:

The "Parts List" provides this information:

air pressure regulator for tag Parker

The original regulator was a Parker 2617-MRK-3 and the gauge reads 0-60 psi In 2005 this was replace with a Parker 2617-MRK-5 and the gauge reads 0-160 psi Alternative correct replacements for the Parker regulator include: Grainger P/N 21U810, Parker P/N 06R118AC Norgren Regulator P/N 22ZD19, Norgren P/N 73G-RMG-7419 Grainger also has a Speedaire replacement for about half the price - not recommended.

I ordered the 21U810 from Grainger and it is substantially larger than my existing regulator, which is quite small.  Unfortunately, I did not look at the dimensions before ordering.   I don't have the capabilities to modify the bracket and really this unit is just too large for the space. 

Has anyone installed one of these? 

Trying to upload pictures..... having issues. 

image0.jpeg.4141b0d1d246443f08eddbb8a425b468.jpegimage1.jpeg.ec463327503e20492a4527ea3e4d2cfb.jpeg

No, actually I had forgotten.  When I ordered the replacement, I as well, ordered the wrong one and had to return it and get the correct one. So the one I installed was an exact match for the original, the small one.  I did get them at Grainger's.

Also be sure to keep the knurled plastic ring.  The new one does not come with one.

12 hours ago, granvillebarker said:

My 05 Dynasty has a 0-30 regulator as well, mine is set around 18 psi, based on scale weight.   I am not sure why we are reading about such high psi settings as well.

I wonder if some of you are talking about tire pressure.  If not, how are you adjusting a 30 PSI regulator to more, or did you replace it???

Please clarify!!!

Granville Barker

My regulator for the tag goes to 160 PSI and it is factory.

12 hours ago, willbo777 said:

Our gauge reads up to 160psi.

And it is OEM

IMG_0106.jpeg

Exact same as mine

Edited by Brett63

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 12:41 PM, hbr509 said:

You guys got me thinking so I checked mine and its at 62psi with the front axle weight at 14.400. I called Barry at Josam he said Monaco likes to see 13.500-14.500 . I have to go back next Monday for new drag link bar and 6 more tires he said we will weight all the axles and see what we have . Its a 2007 Dynasty Squire limited I put 295/80/22.5 all around Toyo 

Bryan,

Just curios what pressures your running in your toyos.   I weighed just before leaving on this trip and ended up putting the front at 115psi, rear at 105psi, but I think I should lower that to 85 or 90, and tag is at 70 psi.

I have 3150 lbs on each tag wheel, 6250 on that axle.   I have just under 20K on the rear axle, and just over 14K on the front axle.  

--

Granville Barker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Long read, sorry!

I have questions about the tag pressure regulator.

My original 2005 regulator was right at the cutoff point when Monaco switched from a 60 PSI unit to a 160 PSI unit.  I removed my broken and leaking 60 PSI unit (gauge was broken, regulator leaked) and installed the 160 PSI gauge unit.  Took it to the scales, weighed it, adjusted the regulator up a couple of times till I got all the weights where I wanted them.  Noted I was at 55 PSI on the newly installed regulator, fully loaded with 10 days of dry camping gear, food, water...  This was 2018 and about 60K miles ago.  I have had no driving or tire issues however, "every" time I check the regulator it could be at 60-70-80, 40, you just never know.  Even if I lift the tag, it will still read whatever it was reading before lifting the tag. 

The most reliable way to see what it is set at is to dump the suspension down a little then let it relevel itself.  As soon as I drive it even .5 miles, it will read some ambiguous number.  I try to check it only on level ground.  

I know Monaco has a proportioning component to the suspension but I am just not clear on how this all works.  I presume the regulator is sending air to the tag through another component that proportions whatever pressure was set to eventually get to the tag.

The tag tires never look overloaded, flat on the bottom or differently loaded nor does my steer axle.  I would think that if the tag actually had 80-90 PSI sent to it that the tag would look more loaded, especially since I only run 85-90 PSI in them. 

Further when the tag is lifted, the tag bags ARE empty but the regulator will still show whatever it was before lifting the tag so I am sure that number is not in series with the tag bags themselves.  

I also presume that this is why the 60 PSI regulator/pressure gauge was replaced with a higher capacity unit.

There is more but I will stop here for now, hoping someone can clarify how the tag system is ultimately controlled. 

Thanks you.

Will B. 

New regulator 2018.jpg

On 5/23/2022 at 4:25 PM, granvillebarker said:

Bryan,

Just curios what pressures your running in your toyos.   I weighed just before leaving on this trip and ended up putting the front at 115psi, rear at 105psi, but I think I should lower that to 85 or 90, and tag is at 70 psi.

I have 3150 lbs on each tag wheel, 6250 on that axle.   I have just under 20K on the rear axle, and just over 14K on the front axle.  

--

Granville Barker

There is an old time rule of thumb here…..most folks never run ANY tire, especially the 295’s below 90 PSI….some 95.  There is very little difference in “ride” quality when any 295 is at 100 or below.  Typically your tag will be a 10K axle….YES…85 PSI would work.  But at least 90 has been the “recommended and experience” pressure..

The regulator psi shouldn’t vary more than a couple of pounds, even with the tag raised. I’ve never head of running a minimum of 90 psi in a 295 or any other 22.5. A single 295/80/22.5 is rated 4920 at 70 psi so 70 should be enough for rigs with a 10K tag. As I posts in 2022 above, I ran 70 in my tags for 80 K miles. The 70 psi saved me when the regulator malfunctioned putting 110 psi in the airbags. I noticed the tires psi increased more than normal (no temp on the TPMS). If I’d had 90 to start, doubt I’d noticed a bigger than normal increase.

Will, I can't honestly say I have ever read the pressure regulator with the tag axle lifted. Assumed it would drop to '0'

BTW, I'm one of those black sheep that run my tag tires between 80-85psi.

• Like 1

The regulator pressure should remain steady at which ever preset pressure when the tanks are full, with hwh. That regulated pressure is passed to tag bags through six pack valves in travel mode but there should always be the same regulated pressure to the sixpack ride hight valves. Raising the whole coach will use tank pressure for tags, lifting the tags will deflate the bags and actuate lifting chambers through a separate mac valve. I keep my tag tires at 85 just to keep the bead seated in sharp turns, that's just me.

• Like 2

Several years ago, before I installed a TPMS, I travelled up I-5 not knowing I had picked up a roofing nail in my PS tag tire tread.

By the time I checked the pressure, it was down to 40psi. Didn't come unseated, but, then again I likely wasn't making any sharp turns until I parked.

Sounds like I have a toasted regulator.  

I will replace it and retry this.  Interesting that manual says that to stabilize the pressure, raise the tag using the tag switch for 20 seconds, then reset it and see what it goes to on the gauge.

This does not work for me so something is up:

file:///C:/Pictures%202023/Motorhome%2005%20C/2005%20Executive%20parts/HWH/Automatic%20Air%20Leveling/tag_axle.pdf

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

You are locking the regulator after adjusting, right?

Yes.  

2 hours ago, Ivan K said:

The regulator pressure should remain steady at which ever preset pressure when the tanks are full, with hwh. That regulated pressure is passed to tag bags through six pack valves in travel mode but there should always be the same regulated pressure to the sixpack ride Hight valves. Raising the whole coach will use tank pressure for tags, lifting the tags will deflate the bags and actuate lifting chambers through a separate mac valve. I keep my tag tires at 85 just to keep the bead seated in sharp turns, that's just me.

Thanks, I will replace the regulator.  It is regulating but something seems off somehow.  I did have to install a new solenoid coil on my right tag lower 6 pack valve a few weeks ago as it was not deflating the right bag when raising the tag.  Left would deflate but not the right, coil was open.  I put a new coil on the old valve body and it works again.  I thought maybe that was contributing to my odd numbers but it had no affect.

I am not sure why I am lumped into the tire pressure discussion.  That was between two other folks.  

This is a C & P from years ago that was presented by several Tire Mfg. rep's at FMCA Rally's.

I ran 105 steer, 95 drive and 85 tag On our 07 Executive Denali IIIR.  WE were full timing, so we were heavy.

I ran 48 psi on the tag down pressure.  

WEIGH YOUR COACH. Four , or Six corner weight is the best, but single axle weights will be OK too. Fuel and water full. Black and grey tanks empty with your stuff on board. CAT scales at many truck stops. Tell the clerk you want to weigh a coach. There is an intercom at the scale so you can communicate with the clerk. There will be 3 platforms for3 axles. Steer axle on the  first, Drive on the second, and if applicable, Tag on the third. Keep the ****ENGINE Running,**** so you stay at Ride Height. Get the print out from the clerk. IF you have a tag axle, you may have to adjust your DOWN pressure to move weight as needed, and after adjusting your down pressure on the tag, REWEIGH the coach.  Now go to YOUR tire Mfg. inflation charts for the correct COLD inflation.

17 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

I ran 105 steer, 95 drive and 85 tag On our 07 Executive Denali IIIR.  WE were full timing, so we were heavy.

These same pressures work for me too. Our 200 gal fuel tank is 7 feet back from front axle and that makes a difference. 

1 hour ago, Paul J A said:

This is a C & P from years ago that was presented by several Tire Mfg. rep's at FMCA Rally's.

WEIGH YOUR COACH. Four , or Six corner weight is the best, but single axle weights will be OK too. Fuel and water full. Black and grey tanks empty with your stuff on board. CAT scales at many truck stops. Tell the clerk you want to weigh a coach. There is an intercom at the scale so you can communicate with the clerk. There will be 3 platforms for3 axles. Steer axle on the  first, Drive on the second, and if applicable, Tag on the third. Keep the ****ENGINE Running,**** so you stay at Ride Height. Get the print out from the clerk. IF you have a tag axle, you may have to adjust your DOWN pressure to move weight as needed, and after adjusting your down pressure on the tag, REWEIGH the coach.  Now go to YOUR tire Mfg. inflation charts for the correct COLD inflation.

Paul, curious how much less your coach weighed with the 3 slide setup instead of the 4 slide setup?

105 PSI sounds low for a 295 steer tire but maybe you were running 315's, I don't recall. 

I know I am right against my steer axle limit (14500 or 14600, can't remember which).  Your 07 would have been a 15100 axle as I recall. 

Your tank was also moved aft on the 07 model I believe which helps take weight off the steers.

WB

Will; My diesel fuel tank was directly behind the steer axle, was 15,160. Fuel full, 14,800-14,900 on the steer . 

I don't know the  weight difference between a 3 and 4 slide that year/ model.  I did run 315's all around. Nitrogen in all tires and used a Power Tank for inflation. Sooo handy. Loved it.

78K + and no issues. 

14 hours ago, Paul J A said:

Will; My diesel fuel tank was directly behind the steer axle, was 15,160. Fuel full, 14,800-14,900 on the steer . 

I don't know the  weight difference between a 3 and 4 slide that year/ model.  I did run 315's all around. Nitrogen in all tires and used a Power Tank for inflation. Sooo handy. Loved it.

78K + and no issues. 

Yup, 315 all around, you could not easily hurt one of those tires LOL.  

Surprised your tank was still up front in 2007, maybe it was 2008 when they got the move?

Also, I am not sure anything really changed on that front axle between the 2005 and 2007 model other than the extra 500 lbs (or whatever increase it was).  Maybe just a tire rating difference?  

A total wild guess would be in the 300-500 lb range for one less slide.  The only real difference would be the small amount of extra framework and fiberglass for the slide itself and some hydraulics. Normally the slide topper would be replaced with just a window awning if the slide was omitted.   Cabinets and sofa/chairs would be there regardless. 

Thanks Paul,

Will 

• Like 1