Monarch Wall Slide Hydraulic Cylinder Removal?

I have a 2011 Monarch 30SFS with a full wall slide.  The rear hydraulic slide cylinder has a leak.  Does anyone have any experience/tips on removing one of these?

While this may be coincidental, I also noticed when putting the slide back in, the ceiling trim next to the "guide rail" has become damaged from the slide lifting and causing the top of the wardrobe to rub the trim and push up on the ceiling.  How and why the slide appears to be out of adjustment all of the sudden makes no sense to me as well.

Chip,

I have a 2013 Monarch with full wall slide.  I have had the slide unexpectedly tip and damage trim twice.  Both times it was when the motorhome was on a side slope.  I think that when the RV is far from level when slides are being extended or retracted, the slide center of gravity gets outside the slide supports. Then the slide tips beyond the designed range of motion and the top edge of the slide trim scrapes along trim of the main coach body.  From damage on trim that existed when we bought the motorhome I think this occurred to prior owners, too.  Since this happened we always put the slides out after leveling and it hasn't reoccurred.  This sequence is the opposite of what most Monaco owners and the operating manual recommend. 

Hi Jerry,

"Glad" to know that I am not the only one that has had this issue with the slide hitting the trim.  While I do level the coach prior to putting the slide out,  the more I think about when it started, I believe it was after replacing the control module and having to re-calibrate the leveling system.  I'll have to get out the old school level on the floor again and re-check my calibration settings.  There's been times when the system says I'm good and it feels off yet.  

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated!

After being told by 2 repair shops today that they are too busy to look into my leaking cylinder, I can only hope someone can shed some light on removing them.

We have a 2012 Diplomat 43DFT.  Purchased December 2017.  When we bought it we noticed that the slide had rubbed on the trim, both front and rear.  We had it rub and scrape shortly after we purchased the coach.  
Here is how we operate the slide.  1) coach running in travel mode.  2) open front door and a large side window 3) extend or retract slide 4) level coach. 
Since we started following the above procedure, we have not experienced the rubbing/ scraping. 

Thanks Dan,

That's how I originally did my procedure and then I switched to level first and then open the slide after reading the warning sticker on the wall and the manual.  I may have to experiment with both methods again to see what works best.  I have found that I tend to go off level at times once the slide is extended....assuming this is due to the weight.

In regards to the hydraulic slide cylinder, I had a professional who deals with hydraulics check out this out yesterday.  The good news was he assured me that the cylinder could be rebuilt for around $100.  

This was a sigh of relief because Lippert had informed me that they had 25 of these parts left in stock, once those were gone they didn't have any more.  I would have to hunt this part done somehow if needed in the future.

In my case, both cylinders are trunion mounted and it appears they can be removed by just unbolting from the front.  Provided there is enough slack in the hydraulic line this should be a straight forward removal and install.

I will update this once the work is completed and confirmed for future reference.

Howdy.

I operate my slides like coaches with hydraulic jacks, “Never open the slides when jacks are up”. I always level our coach before opening any slides, never in travel mode. All chassis twist on most surfaces putting everything out of alignment, even if you think it’s level. Level first.

Hope this helps. 🏁🇺🇸

I’m of the “oil is cheap” school so put a diaper around the end to catch it. I would try putting repeatedly,  Lucas transmission seal fluid on the ram at the seal. I would put the remainder in the in the hydraulic reservoir.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up to this post, my 2011 Monarch has trunnion mounted hydraulic cylinders (2 of them).  Turns out they are very easy to remove.  There are 2 bolts that remove a U shaped bracket that lets the entire cylinder come out (once the nut is removed at the end of the shaft that connects to the slide).  My coach had plenty of slack in the hydraulic lines to be able to pull the cylinder out and remove the rear hose.

Hope this helps take the "fear" out of this job for someone else in the future.