Leather restore for J-couch

In my 2000 Dynasty, I have the coffee colored J-couch that I typically sit on all the time. It's quite comfortable, and I have no doubt the previous owners enjoyed it as well.

That said, the couch does have some wear and does show it's age in places. There is no cracking or splits coming on old leather so I was doing some research to see if any treatments could bring some life back to it. In my search, I found a lot of RV folks on a specific forum were praising a product called RubNRestore. I had never heard of it so I was hoping someone on this site could provide feedback on it or another product that could work. 

The RubNRestore appears to sell colors so as to match up the product as close as possible with the color of the furniture so it appears the product is basically a dye. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kerry

I’d say dyed. It looks smooth?

Anyway if you at all think it’s tanned (older Ford King ranch leather trucks) then Rawlings glove oil will restore deep, dark, softness back to the leather. I have done many seats with it. 

if it’s dyed, and you want to Match color, the above kits work well. A good cleaner is needed to get the grime off. I painted my in-laws black leather couches 3-4 times. They lasted 20 years before I finally gave them our sectional when we moved. They were to cheap to buy new furniture. 

2 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

I’d say dyed. It looks smooth?

Anyway if you at all think it’s tanned (older Ford King ranch leather trucks) then Rawlings glove oil will restore deep, dark, softness back to the leather. I have done many seats with it. 

if it’s dyed, and you want to Match color, the above kits work well. A good cleaner is needed to get the grime off. I painted my in-laws black leather couches 3-4 times. They lasted 20 years before I finally gave them our sectional when we moved. They were to cheap to buy new furniture. 

It is smooth, the King Ranch example helped...lol

I'll look closely at the kits and see which color might match up the best. 

Thanks!

Guest Ray Davis
23 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Is your couch dyed or natural tanned leather. 

If is dyed (colored) 

or tanned (base ball glove) 

Like Chris our resident upholstery guru mentioned a while back, very few of our coaches actually have real leather.  I know, it depressed me for a while too.

I don't know what we will do for fake leather when they do away with petroleum.  If oil keeps going up real leather may become the cheap stuff.   🤑

Edited by Ray Davis