Dometic fridge NDA 1402 not defrosting or making ice

Wrayj1

We have been in our coach since November 15 and our fridge and icemaker worked great.  However, last night I noted that we had no ice and this morning the fridge needs defrosting despite the led indicating it was defrosting during the night.  Any thoughts on trouble shooting would be appreciated.

We have an 03 Endeavor with a Dometic 1350 fridge.  These are just random thoughts -

Power the fridge off and back on.  This resets the defrost cycle so it won't start defrosting again for 60 hours. (probably not the problem).

Start taking temps of the freezer and main compartments.  I use multiple thermometers and a Govee recording thermometer. 

Both Dometic and Norcold have fans in the back that turn on with higher temps (snap disc on upper condenser).  This would be normal on a warmer day.  Are they coming on? 

(Carefully) put your hand around the heater cover (accessed through the back cover).  How hot is it?

Your coach power monitor will display amps if you're on 30A service.  Fridge draws 3 - 4 amps.  If it's on constantly and still not getting cold that's a problem.  You can also disconnect the thermo sensor and the fridge will run 100%. 

There's 2 heater elements tied together . . ..  one could have opened up leaving you with half power.  You can ohm out the two elements individually. 

Try running the fridge on propane only and see if the compartment gets colder. 

Good luck,

- bob

Thanks Bob,  all good info and I'll check them out.  The fridge is cooling very well, freezer -1 and fridge 36 consistently on setting 4. Both fans are new and working, fridge just stopped defrosting and making ice.  This ice and defrost started yesterday.  We are in Az and have friends with a park model across the street, they have 2 fridges.  Tomorrow we will move everything to their fridge /freezer and let our fridge sit in off position overnight then reset and reload.

The defrost strip in ours went bad. Many moons ago. Had many many problems with ice maker. Put at least three in. It was a nice refer but we finally gave up and installed a residential. Absolutely love it. I'm guessing at your model refer but supplying that would be useful. 

BTW, we have a 2008 SKQ so same layout I highly suspect. 

If you decide it is time to swap it out I have a ton of information on it and lots of pictures. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xw3k2MmYddfJ7rC5N?e=anVhKj   Here is a link to a lot of information you might like to sort through.

Edited by myrontruex
Adding information and link to refer files

We had a portable ice maker for a couple of years but when we went full timing there was just no room. Replaced the ice maker three times, water valves a couple of times, defrost strips and a couple more problems I do not recall. Loved the refer but hated fighting it all the time. 

The new residential is massive compared to it. Almost CF more. The ice maker takes off in minutes and makes a couple of gallons of ice at least in a big hurry. Water and ice in the door is a must for me. The wife didn't care but I do. The new refer probably weighs 1/3 or less than the original. 

I did not connect it up to the inverter circuit. Ours is a modified sine wave so didn't want to risk it. Just too easy to fire up the generator after 4-5 hours and usually we need the AC's anyway so it is a mute point.

The refer was really easy to get through the window. The old one was a beast. Took it out the front door in pieces. Just too heavy for wife and I by ourselves.