Starting Batteries

thomasgibbens

Your batteries should be a 31P.  Since your batteries should be OEM, look on the battery for the proper specs. If you have your manual, it will be in there also. I believe your coach specs at 950 CCA (Cold Crank Amps) As for mfgs Lifeline are probably the best albeit expensive.  I went with Duracell's from Batteries Plus.  18 month warranty  $125 each.  Sam's Club also had them for about the same price but only offered a 12 mo. warranty.  LifeLines are Made in USA....Dennis

Speaking of starting batteries, my old 93 Dynasty with a Cummins C8.3-300hp has an 8D battery.

I'd like to replace it with an AGM battery. 

I've had great service from Odyssey batteries in other vehicles, and was wondering if a single PC1500T (850CCA/1250HCA) would be sufficient.

They're available for under $300, and I've had a PC1200 last over 10 years in my 427 Cobra.

I have 4 Lifeline AGM's, 4D.  Replaced the ones that were in there.  They are expensive, not compared to Trojan or Interstate, but pricey.  The last a long time and made in the USA.  I would buy them again.  Seems like your originals didn't last that long.  Is that 600 working them to death?

I am ready to replace my two Group 31’s. Current are Interstate 31 MHD’s.

AGM’s would suit the Lifeline house battery charging profile, but not sure it is worth the extra expense.

What are people using for AGM starting batteries, other than Lifeline?

Paul

6 hours ago, pwhittle said:

AGM’s would suit the Lifeline house battery charging profile, but not sure it is worth the extra expense.

Paul

Paul,

I am using the Duracells from Sam's Club. Have had them for about seven years now and never had an issue.

875535937_Group32AGMchassisbatteries2.thumb.jpg.b571f7ba93b147d9d50ea0f333feec2c.jpg

On 4/14/2020 at 7:45 PM, pwhittle said:

Paul

I checked with Freightliner and am installing Alliance batteries. They are about $90 each and have an 18 month warranty. 

TGibbens

’15 Dynasty 

Just replaced mine yesterday with 2 ea group 31 AGM SSB AGM31T from O'Rielly $226.99 plus tax and $22 refundable core charge.

These are USA Manufactured by East Penn. (Checked with East Penn and all their AGM Batteries are USA manufacture.)

Ron 2006 Camelot

• 1 month later...

Group 31 x 3 is correct for our ISX600.

I had hard hot starting issues. Replaced the Interstates with Optima cylindrical AGMs wanting to rule out the batteries, which was very expensive and helped marginally. I won't buy AGM next time, especially since I went to flooded on the house batteries and an AGM charge profile would electrolyzise too much water out of the GC2s.

What really helped was replacing the battery bay positive cable. I got fed up with poor hot starting and measured voltage drop on the entire system. The 3 foot cable had 1V across it during cranking as measured by a mechanical meter. Since the starter terminals at peak draw measured 4V, 1V wound up being significant. It now starts right up when hot.

Monaco assembled the old 4/0 cable with a hammer crimper, which is not ideal. Also the batteries were wired up such that the positive cable was going to the right battery, and the negative cable was going to the left. That has the effect of pushing all current through additional 2/0 cables and fittings, which is not ideal. I connected both terminals to the left battery.

Battery cable was made by https://www.custombatterycables.com and the work appeared to be excellent. I upgraded the cables between left and center batteries to 3/0 because I'm neurotic. Attached is a photo of the old cable with the SGX insulation stripped off and oxidation starting at the end.

Hoping this helps someone else with hard starting issues.

Thanks,
Rob

IMG_20200330_142151_01.jpg

Edited by trailmug