Chassis Battery Disconnect - FRUSTRATED

CorinthWest

@CorinthWest one thing I don't thinknwas mentioned is that the Marinco battery switch in your pic is a known failure issue. One of mine fell apart internally.  You should replace with the blue seas one in the pic below yours IMO. 

Screenshot_20220305-214525_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220305-214547_Chrome.jpg

Thanks, Stephen!  Yes, the original fell apart on the previous owner and he simply took the guts from the OEM unit and used one of the the terminal bolts and both nuts from it to tie all the cables together (effectively eliminating the disconnect altogether).  That's how it came when I bought it, and how I've gotten to this point.  I know I SHOULD have gotten a better quality disconnect(s).  I didn't know how cheap these were until I ordered the OEM and got it.  When this one fails (or the one for the house batteries in the back), I intend to order 2 good marine replacements.  Thank you!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 9:54 PM, CorinthWest said:

Thanks, Stephen!  Yes, the original fell apart on the previous owner and he simply took the guts from the OEM unit and used one of the the terminal bolts and both nuts from it to tie all the cables together (effectively eliminating the disconnect altogether).  That's how it came when I bought it, and how I've gotten to this point.  I know I SHOULD have gotten a better quality disconnect(s).  I didn't know how cheap these were until I ordered the OEM and got it.  When this one fails (or the one for the house batteries in the back), I intend to order 2 good marine replacements.  Thank you!

Rick, this post has been a Godsend for me. We just bought a 2005 Monaco LaPalma 37PST last month and have the exact same issue as you, except my P.O. taped the wires together, after using the guts of the old cutoff switch to bolt them together. Thank you so much to everyone here for the help!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 7:42 AM, DavidL said:

I am assuming this is another Campfire tale of lore that goes around a lot as I don't see an electrical reason to remove the positive first.  Small possibility is if there are several negative cables and the teenie tiny one is removed last and then any current flowing wacks that small cable (highly unlikely).

But many folks say "my RV manual" or "my RV tech" or "my RV best buddy who knows everything" say to remove the positive first.  But there is never a technical reason stated.

Well, actually it's Magnum, the inverter/ charger manufacturer that requests you remove the positive cable from the house bank first.

Which brings up a question I have. I'll be replacing my chassis batteries tomorrow, so I assume, after turning off the battery switches, I go back to neg first off, last on?

1 minute ago, Tom Wallis said:

That's how I would do it. It's much safer that way.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Actually, several years ago when I replaced my house bank I did the same. Hadn't read my Magnum owners manual at the time. Had no issues with the inverter doing it that way..... thank God!

22 minutes ago, Frank Bergamo said:

May I also suggest to take a picture or two of the cables BEFORE disconnecting. May save you some grief later. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That's what I normally do when I disconnect more than a single wire.

How did we survive before cell phones with camera's?

Edited by 96 EVO

This topic has been an interesting read for me.  I tend to follow the manufacturers instructions.  But there are some who live in the fast lane that when all else fails, follow directions.  I still believe that when God announced that He is passing out common sense, some folks failed to show up.  I still practice the instructions when changing a tire, jack up the vehicle first.

FWIW,  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

12 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

This topic has been an interesting read for me.  I tend to follow the manufacturers instructions.  But there are some who live in the fast lane that when all else fails, follow directions.  I still believe that when God announced that He is passing out common sense, some folks failed to show up.  I still practice the instructions when changing a tire, jack up the vehicle first.

FWIW,  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Actually, it is easiest and safer to crack the nuts with the tire on the ground when it is stable and when the tire won't spin.  Then jack up, remove the loose nuts and replace the tire.  Tighten the nuts till firm.  Drop the jack.  Torque to spec while the inflated tire is on the ground.  The above assumes you are doing this with hand tools on the road and not air tools that don't care so much if the tire is on the ground.

It might then be part of "common sense" when one hears the solution that might be a little different perspective with the shared experience.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:46 PM, 96 EVO said:

Well, actually it's Magnum, the inverter/ charger manufacturer that requests you remove the positive cable from the house bank first.

Which brings up a question I have. I'll be replacing my chassis batteries tomorrow, so I assume, after turning off the battery switches, I go back to neg first off, last on?

I would be curious if they provide an electrical / safety reason for that.  By chance, is that in the manual?  Please share if so!

I don't have any issue changing perspective if I understand the Why I should change.  Like I posted above.  I absolutely understand the reason to do negative first.  Would like to hear the facts on the opposite path.

Edited by DavidL

Guest Ray Davis

Ya really should loosen the lug nuts before jacking the vehicle up, even on your auto or pu.  Tire installers put the nuts on very tight and trying to break them loose with the vehicle up on a jack increases the chance of rocking the vehicle causing it to fall.   ☠️