Jump to content

2009 Monaco Dynasty 43' steering box change from Shepherd to TRW.


Recommended Posts

Have wondering issue with my Monaco and am looking to replace the steering box as I have heard that is the only fix.  Has anyone changed out the M110 Shepherd box to a TRW box and if so what TRW replacement number did you find that worked.  I spoke with the people at Weller Truck and they have a replacement number for the box and Pittman arm for the M100 but not the M110.  They do not recommend replacing the M110 box with the the same box that replaces the M100 as the M110 is larger and more powerful.  Would appreciate any feedback.

Daryl Ammons

daryla1973@gmail.com

919-708-3651

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you do a search here and on IRV2 there's several discussions on the Shepherd box.  Some are detailed, some not. 

It's possible your issue isn't in the box but in the chassis . . . or both.  Look up threads concerning Watts Link.  From what I recall "wandering" is a steering issue. 

I have a Shepherd box but no wandering.  I am affected by wind, tho.  It was suggested I do the Watts Link first. 

Good luck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My question first is there something wrong with your current steering box?  Does the coach go where you steer it? Or does it wander around and you can’t keep it going straight.  

If it does not go where you steer it then you may need another steering box, if it wanders around at every bump or change in road surface or truck passing, you need suspension work or improvements.  
My coach needed suspension improvements, my steering box (non TRW) directs the coach just fine…. Since adding “watts link” and “crossbars” to my RR8R suspension the coach tracks great…. It used to take off in a different direction at every bump, dip and passing truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The OP has a tag axle Coach so the suspension improvements that greatly help the RR8R chassis help much less on his Coach. He did mention that it wanders. My question is if there is a lot of steering wheel free play?  That is the only thing a new steering box will improve as the Shepard is non-adjustable.  If there is minimal free play then I would be looking at the remaining steering components for wear. Then I would closely insect all of the suspension bushings.  
    

Edited by Chargerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

The OP has a tag axle Coach so the suspension improvements that greatly help the RR8R chassis help much less on his Coach. He did mention that it wanders. My question is if there is a lot of steering wheel free play?  That is the only thing a new steering box will improve as the Shepard is non-adjustable.  If there is minimal free play then I would be looking at the remaining steering components for wear. Then I would closely insect all of the suspension bushings.

I totally agree with you Chargerman, the fact that he said his coach was wandering, something that a loose steering does not 'cause', was what I was trying to point out. 

All vehicles, RV's, Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, go carts...etc. should track straight, and should not 'need' to be 'held' straight with 'tight' steering. 

I also, would suggest he should look for other worn components.  If all those are good and the coach still wanders, there is an inherent designed-in issue with the RR8 Chassis.  There needs to be more than one 'pan hard rod' holding the "H" frame square to the coach.  There is only one panhard rod and it 'allows' the H frame with the axles attached to 'squirm' under the coach which sends the coach off a straight track with any outside influence (bumps, dips, wind, road ribs). 

The Watts Link (MonacoWatts.com) controls that 'squirming'  of the front H frame and (in this case) the tag axle helps the rear.

Ken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Cubflyer said:

I totally agree with you Chargerman, the fact that he said his coach was wandering, something that a loose steering does not 'cause', was what I was trying to point out. 

All vehicles, RV's, Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, go carts...etc. should track straight, and should not 'need' to be 'held' straight with 'tight' steering. 

I also, would suggest he should look for other worn components.  If all those are good and the coach still wanders, there is an inherent designed-in issue with the RR8 Chassis.  There needs to be more than one 'pan hard rod' holding the "H" frame square to the coach.  There is only one panhard rod and it 'allows' the H frame with the axles attached to 'squirm' under the coach which sends the coach off a straight track with any outside influence (bumps, dips, wind, road ribs). 

The Watts Link (MonacoWatts.com) controls that 'squirming'  of the front H frame and (in this case) the tag axle helps the rear.

Ken

I forgot who I reached out to some time ago inquiring about The Watts link for my Executive and they said they did not make a setup for my Coach. My Coach handles well but I thought is o could control that H frame it would be all the better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chargerman said:

The OP has a tag axle Coach so the suspension improvements that greatly help the RR8R chassis help much less on his Coach. He did mention that it wanders. My question is if there is a lot of steering wheel free play?  That is the only thing a new steering box will improve as the Shepard is non-adjustable.  If there is minimal free play then I would be looking at the remaining steering components for wear. Then I would closely insect all of the suspension bushings.  
    

There is quite a bit of free play in the steering. If it starts wonder off in one direction it takes a significant amount of turn to get it directed back straight.

4 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

I totally agree with you Chargerman, the fact that he said his coach was wandering, something that a loose steering does not 'cause', was what I was trying to point out. 

All vehicles, RV's, Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, go carts...etc. should track straight, and should not 'need' to be 'held' straight with 'tight' steering. 

I also, would suggest he should look for other worn components.  If all those are good and the coach still wanders, there is an inherent designed-in issue with the RR8 Chassis.  There needs to be more than one 'pan hard rod' holding the "H" frame square to the coach.  There is only one panhard rod and it 'allows' the H frame with the axles attached to 'squirm' under the coach which sends the coach off a straight track with any outside influence (bumps, dips, wind, road ribs). 

The Watts Link (MonacoWatts.com) controls that 'squirming'  of the front H frame and (in this case) the tag axle helps the rear.

Ken

my home has tag axle and i guess the RS 10 chassis.  What Chargerman said about loose steering not causing the wandering makes since but when it starts to wonder it takes a lot of steering wheel rotation to correct so that is why I was thinking a steering box change is in order.  It may be prudent to do the Watt's Link first and see if stopping the wonder would be what is needed.  The coach only has about 35K miles so I wouldn't think there would be a lot of suspension component wear.

7 hours ago, cbr046 said:

If you do a search here and on IRV2 there's several discussions on the Shepherd box.  Some are detailed, some not. 

It's possible your issue isn't in the box but in the chassis . . . or both.  Look up threads concerning Watts Link.  From what I recall "wandering" is a steering issue. 

I have a Shepherd box but no wandering.  I am affected by wind, tho.  It was suggested I do the Watts Link first. 

Good luck. 

That may be my best path also.  I may do the front Watt's first and then if not corrected address the box? 

Thanks for the reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good way to confirm where the play is to have someone constantly move the steering wheel back and forth within the free play and get under the coach and see if the control arm is moving. If it is moving consistent with the steering shaft movement then the steering box is tight and the lost movement in downstream of the steering box. If the control arm coming out of the steering box doesn’t move then the steering box is loose. Continue following the assembly until you find where movement is lost. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

My question first is there something wrong with your current steering box?  Does the coach go where you steer it? Or does it wander around and you can’t keep it going straight.  

If it does not go where you steer it then you may need another steering box, if it wanders around at every bump or change in road surface or truck passing, you need suspension work or improvements.  
My coach needed suspension improvements, my steering box (non TRW) directs the coach just fine…. Since adding “watts link” and “crossbars” to my RR8R suspension the coach tracks great…. It used to take off in a different direction at every bump, dip and passing truck.

The coach goes where i steer it but if it is wondering off in one direction it takes a lot of rotation of the steering wheel to correct and sometimes over corrects so I am fighting it back and forth.  It is like when it wonders to the right it is hard to bring it back straight the correction makes it go left?  Would not think it is component wear as the coach only has 35k miles on it.  It had a front end alignment performed prior to my purchase.  I found the paperwork and it looked good.  May need to do the Watt's first before changing out the steering box?

3 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

A good way to confirm where the play is to have someone constantly move the steering wheel back and forth within the free play and get under the coach and see if the control arm is moving. If it is moving consistent with the steering shaft movement then the steering box is tight and the lost movement in downstream of the steering box. If the control arm coming out of the steering box doesn’t move then the steering box is loose. Continue following the assembly until you find where movement is lost. 

I will try that Chargerman.  Thanks for the input.

2 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

Wandering may be a rear axle alignment/tire problem, it was on mine.

Is yours a tag?  How did you detect the rear axle alignment problem?  Got new tires on my coach.

4 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

I'm really surprised it didn't come with a TRW.  I thought it was just the early model coaches that had Sheppard.  My 2007 has TRW.

Yea I am not sure why the Shepherd box but that was about the time Monaco was starting to have financial problems I think, from what I have read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...