First Motorhome

Recently purchased our first motorhome a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV. The coach is in pretty good shape with most systems functioning. Bought it in Colorado and drove it back home to Savannah GA the week after Thanksgiving. We had a nice adventure driving out in our SVT Lightning and driving both vehicles back to Savannah. Experienced great weather with varying temperatures allowing us to operate the aqua hot, heat pumps and A/C which kept us very comfortable. We're excited about our new house on wheels and look forward to many adventures. 

I see this forum has a wealth of knowledge and I look forward to contributing to the group. So far I've cleaned the entire coach interior, cleaned /treated and painted the battery boxes with POR-15 and other miscellaneous items that need attention. I want to thank everyone for their posts and hope to be able to provide some of my experiences as I continue down this road. Cheers! 

Dan.

13.jpg

3.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome Dan, what model is your Refrigerator. We have a 2006 Signature with the same set up with cabinets above and the fridge sits on the floor. We are going to be replacing our shortly. I was curious because I hear a Samsung RF18 will fit but I don’t have the height clearance required which is 70 inches according to Samsung.

Dan, congratulations on your very FIRST coach. You made an excellent choice.

We have owned a 2002 Monaco Windsor since 2003 and at the time thought that we would have it forever. However, plans changed once I drove a 2006 Monaco Dynasty back in late October last year.

We just picked up a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Countess III 42-foot coach in Salt Lake City and will spend the next 8-9 days driving back to our home in Flagler Beach Florida.

We pray that it will be a safe uneventful trip all the way back home.

We just spent our first night in the coach at a Sam's Club in South Jordan Utah. Now discovering some things that need attention. Most of all the coach could use a good bath outside so I plan to stop at a truck wash most likely in the Las Vegas are since that is our next stop-over for the night.

2006 Dynasty-3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the new to you Dynasty Richard. Nice looking Countess ! I continue to find things with ours  that need attention but categorizing as "needs" vs "wants". I'm sure  the list will grow. Praying for safe travels and all systems on your ride home. Enjoy the ride back east, be safe.

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

We have owned a 2002 Monaco Windsor since 2003 and at the time thought that we would have it forever. However, plans changed once I drove a 2006 Monaco Dynasty back in late October last year.

We just picked up a 2006 Monaco Dynasty Countess III 42-foot coach in Salt Lake City and will spend the next 8-9 days driving back to our home in Flagler Beach Florida.

We just spent our first night in the coach at a Sam's Club in South Jordan Utah. Now discovering some things that need attention. Most of all the coach could use a good bath outside so I plan to stop at a truck wash most likely in the Las Vegas are since that is our next stop-over for the night.

2006 Dynasty-3.jpg

Congratulations and SAFE TRAVELS.  Please consider a https://truckomat.com/ truck wash in your travels. The best we found in 10 years full timing. The traveling gantry is awesome. 

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

2006 Dynasty-3.jpg

Safe travels! How does she drive? 

Dan, beautiful coach!  You're lucky to find it.  

For Mark Holt with the 2006 Signature, your coach should have either a drawer under, or a cabinet above the refrigerator.  You may need to modify it to add a few inches of extra height.

This is a link to a detailed Samsung refrigerator install in our motor home.  

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/samsung-refrigerator-install-in-2004-monaco-signature-356096.html

20 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Congratulations and SAFE TRAVELS.  Please consider a https://truckomat.com/ truck wash in your travels. The best we found in 10 years full timing. The traveling gantry is awesome. 

Unfortunately, they are not on our route back to Florida. I plan to use a Blue Beacon Truck Wash on I-15 just north of Las Vegas.

20 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Safe travels! How does she drive? 

It's just OK for now. I recently discovered that the Tag Axle air pressure regulator is adjusted way TOO high and the control knob is stuck and I can't move the knob at all. I am now wondering how accurate the gauge is, etc. So that will be replaced once I get back home.

Lots on my plate to get this coach back into what I consider good working condition. When you purchase used, especially one that is 16 years old, you have to expect stuff like that. There are people who just don't care so they do the minimum just to get by. I am one that needs to have the coach mechanically sound and safe, but anything that is cosmetically wrong, it is what it is but it's not life and death.

I think mine is set @ 50 psi but not sure that value is based on a proper weight analysis. My coach was loaded similar to yours Richard on our trip back east. Rode nice but I did notice some porpoising over loop Dee do's at highway speeds.

Having owned a 04 Dynasty for 14 years … it’s definitely a great rig.

X2 on pulling on the knob to adjust and 40 psi for a empty Dynasty is plenty of pressure.

Not sure why I’d truck wash a rig with 2000 miles before getting home???

Edited by Ivylog
  • Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Having owned a 04 Dynasty for 14 years … it’s definitely a great rig.

X2 on pulling on the knob to adjust and 40 psi for a empty Dynasty is plenty of pressure.

Not sure why I’d truck wash a rig with 2000 miles before getting home???

I know the dilemma well, the coach is dirty but if you wash it, it'll be dirty again in no time. 

Richard, if you want to wait a while you'll be going thru Wilcox Az where there is an independent wash called exit 340 truck & car wash.  You can see it from I 10 on the left plus there is a campground right next door.  I haven't stayed there before but have used the wash a few times.  

I really liked the town of Wilcox, it's a clean enterprising place and home of Rex Allen.  Anyone remember him? LOL

The exterior of the coach was absolutely filthy when I picked it up. It looked like it had not been cleaned in a year. Lots of dirt and white streaks from the roof oxidation running down the sides of the coach and windows. It certainly didn't look like the photos in the AD!

Having the coach washed will at least allow me to see better out the windshield, driver's and entry door windows.

The coach needs a good detailing inside and out. That will be done by Dazzling Detailing once back to Flagler Beach. They are the BEST!

22 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Richard, if you want to wait a while you'll be going thru Wilcox Az where there is an independent wash called exit 340 truck & car wash.  You can see it from I 10 on the left plus there is a campground right next door.  I haven't stayed there before but have used the wash a few times.  

I really liked the town of Wilcox, it's a clean enterprising place and home of Rex Allen.  Anyone remember him? LOL

Ray, thanks for the recommendation. I found it on Google Map Satellite Image, so I know exactly where it is. I plan to stop there today on my way to the Lordsburg Safety Rest Area where we are staying the night.

Guest Ray Davis
14 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Ray, thanks for the recommendation. I found it on Google Map Satellite Image, so I know exactly where it is. I plan to stop there today on my way to the Lordsburg Safety Rest Area where we are staying the night.

We have driven that route many times over the yrs.  The only part I don't like is thru El Paso I try to just sail on thru there.  We seem to be drawn to the west I guess we prefer the wide-open spaces, "don't fence me in" ( an old song ).  The west just abounds in natural beauty.   Coming back, we turn left in Tx onto I 20 heading toward the Dallas area.       A friend told me he hated driving I 10 across Tx so I told him well it ain't for sissies.   LOL   It is a long drive though.

Have a great trip

Hey everyone, speaking of washing, is there any reason NOT to wash the engine compartment or precautions to take? Mine is a sandy dirty mess from years out west where it was purchased. I routinely clean my autos and trucks with simple green and rinse from a garden hose. No pressure washers. Anything I should be aware of as I plan on doing it tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

During our years of full timing, we took U S 90 from San Antonio to Van Horn many times. A great highway ,and very little traffic. It used to be the Class "A" federal highway for all tuck freight traffic.  A very relaxing scenic experience.