I have an intermittent warning light when the coolant temp goes to 191 degrees or above. ISC8.3 engine normal temp 189 degrees. New radiator ,cac , water pump, thermostat, hoses installed 2 years ago. Have had problem before and after. Wiring diagram shows coolant temp sensor only wired to temp gauge and not to ecm. It shows warning light coming from ecm. How does the ecm gets coolant temp info ?

Bob U 2000Dip

In watching my rigs temp (2000 Dynasty), I have the silver leaf setup watching the ecm. It “appears” to me the dash warning light and buzzer are taken from the cooling tank overflow (or somewhere else in the coolant lines) and not from the ECM.  There seems to be a difference between the temperatures the ECM reports and the warning buzzer and light. 

The warning buzzer and light slowly ramps up from no sound - then a little - more sound and the light starts to flash intermittently - to finally full light and full buzzer - then goes back down the same way. 

Don’t know if that helps - or even if I am completely correct. 

Edited by Rocketman3

I recommend you purchase the ScanGageD and you can view all of the ECM values plus fault codes. Cost around $150 at Camping World when on sale.

• 7 months later...

Warning light fix for my 2000 Diplomat. Thanks to JACWJAMES I found the coolant temperature gauge sensor that feeds the ECM. It is located just below the thermostat. I replaced it in June and have not had a warning light in over 1000 miles. The coolant temperature gauge on the dash was accurate.

Bob U 2000 Dip