RV Pulls to Left

Guest azlein

That’s still a heck of a haul from Phoenix. 
I’ve am having a bit of a hard time understanding how a very slight misalignment of the drive axle would cause the Coach to pull one way or the other. In my mind this would only cause it to crab walk very slightly, an unnoticeable amount unless it was significantly misaligned.  It seems like the biggest issue with a slightly misaligned drive axle would be premature wear of the tag axle tires. What am I missing?

Before I would realign a drive axle, assuming it’s what causing it to pull left, and while not a fan of a steering stabilizes; I would add one and adjust so it doesn’t pull left after swapping the front tires, that worked for me when mine started pulled one way.

9 hours ago, Chargerman said:

I’m having a bit of a hard time understanding how a very slight misalignment of the drive axle would cause the Coach to pull one way or the other. In my mind this would only cause it to crab walk very slightly, an unnoticeable amount unless it was significantly misaligned.  It seems like the biggest issue with a slightly misaligned drive axle would be premature wear of the tag axle tires. What am I missing?

I’m with you although the drive going one way and the tag the opposite could put a pull on the front. While not a fan of steering stabilizers, I would add one and adjust the pull out before spending money on realigning axles. I don’t know anyone who wears their tires out.

Henderson's in Oregon was mentioned and they do supply good alignment parts to Josam's in Florida and other shops.  I do have their drag link.

Another remote possibility could be the front axle got tweaked throwing off the caster.  All Wheel in Redding CA also works with Henderson's parts but can also apply twists to the axle that Henderson's can't/won't do.  They (as will Henderson) check rear to front tracking and most important they will do heavy work on RVs.  Some heavy truck places won't touch an RV but do great work on a Pete.  At least All Wheel is closer to Phoenix than Oregon or Florida.

https://allwheelinc.com/

They do a lot of axle work and axle replacement.  I have visited all three shops mentioned for various reasons.  Hope to never need them again, but would go to any of the three if needed. 

Had a local truck shop work on the rig once, and they removed some shims to set it better "for freeway handling".  After the fact, IMHO, that wasn't the right thing to do especially when I drove on some more heavily crowned two lane roads.  My rig manuals explicitly said certain parameter settings that the local shop "knew better" from their heavy truck experience.  Oh well, it's all better now and I won't go to that local heavy truck shop ever again.  I think the height, center of gravity, air bag suspension, etc make the RV a different beast than a Pete.  JMHO

• 1 year later...

@zmotorsports  Mike, you are "That Guy" in this post.  Now that you are part of Monacoers we can be more formal.  I'm curious, did your fix work?  I have a constant pull to the left on my coach.   Going to try swapping the steer tires first, all else is good that I can tell,  Ride Height good, no bad brakes or suspension.  Thanks.

• Like 1