Add Keyless Remote to Existing Essex Keypad

Great info on  installing a  keyless system. I bought a system as you stated,  and trying to install it, into my coach ,my coach is a 2002 Monaco Windsor. Could I E-mail  you the wiring diagram that came with the unit, so you might help with the wiring of the unit into my coach. My key pad works find, I did not receive the keyless bob with the coach when I bought it. I have the 2 relays you said that are needed. My coach does not have 2 connectors under the cup holder,  it has 1 connector with all the wires coming from the key pad going to it.

Wayne Hill

928-279-2467

wmh4805@aol.com

Wayne,

The sole purpose of the two relays is to turn a "positive" signal into a "negative" signal which is what the Essex control wiring is looking for to lock or unlock.

When you look back at the Essex Wiring Diagram you will need to tap into the wires labeled RED and BLACK to get power and ground to your new control box receiver and the relays.

Then you need to tap into the Brown and Green wires for the lock and unlock functions.

The lugs on the relay are self-explanatory.

Sure, we can help with the wiring. But you’ll probably need to figure out the specific wire connections!
Do you know for sure your rig was NOT originally supplied with a wireless unit? Or likely pre wired for it?

Before installing the wireless unit by the door, fish around in the dash and see if you can find an original wireless unit. It’s possible you’re missing the remotes and there’s an old wireless unit dangling back there. My only experience is with the dynasty, but as far as I know they were all under an access port in the top of the dash. But I think Richard installed his by the door and that worked just as well.

I’m not a car stereo installer and really only have direct experience with the Avital unit. But it seems like there’s a lot of standardization in the car alarm industry so I suspect they’re pretty much all the same and likely use consistent colors for the wires. The wireless unit works by connecting a “signal” with an “output“. If you connect the signal’s input wire to 12v, then the function will provide a 12v ”signal“ to trigger something. Conversely if you connect the “signal” wire to ground, it will provide a ground “signal” to the locks (this is what you need). I’m not sure that all wireless units have isolated signals like I just described, but the Avital certainly does  If you wind up with one that’ll can’t provide a negative signal, you’ll need to use relays to convert a positive signal to a negative signal. 
The wireless unit will require 12v power and ground, and then each output will have a corresponding input (signal) wire. The signal inputs will all be spliced together with ground and the outputs each connected to its respective function wire in the harness. 
There will likely be a bunch of wires that you don’t need and can just tape off like switched ignition. 
The picture I posted earlier in this conversation shows wire associations at the door module. Just match those up with your wireless module. 
Also, check out this write up on installing the Avital in place of original wireless module behind the dash

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/essex-1603-keypad-and-wireless-replacement-330319.html
Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

The 2002 Monaco Windsor came from the factory with the Essex 1601 Keypad and at least one and possibly two Key-Fob's for the keyless entry system.

Ian purchased the coach without any Key-Fobs and now would like to add an aftermarket Key-Fob to his existing system.

He just needs to follow what the OP did when he added a Key-Fob to his Keyless Entry System.