Replacing Dometic AC units

Jerry G

4 hours ago, Jerry G said:

Same size. My tech quoted $140 to remove and replace each unit. Said they did another customer yesterday. They ordered a new thermostat to hook up to the furnace so it will be seperate.

I ordered two 15k units yesterday 

$140 per unit for labor seems reasonable. Do you mind saying where you are? I would like that for comparison purposes. I am currently in central Florida and was planning to delay until I get back to Louisiana to have my son-in-law help with the install, but for that type of cost I would consider having it do sooner. Also, would you mind posting the brand/model of the thermostat for the heaters. We have two LP heater (rarely used) and replacing the existing 5 button therm with a simpler control just for them makes sense. I believe I have decided now to certainly go with the Houghton from RecPro, just weighing the medium vs low profile. We are currently 12' 6" with the duo-therms so the 3500 models should only bring us up to about 12' 9" in height, which I do not think will be an issue. We recently purchased a Garmin RV890 so when programed for the new  height that should keep us out of any potential trouble.

Thanks Jerry. I look forward to your follow up on the thermostat. Being in LV I can understand you letting cooling capacity trumping height. I am the same as we are in south Louisiana and cooling and de-humidifying capabilities trump about everything. lol

On 3/15/2022 at 3:48 PM, Joelsheriff said:

Hey guys, a little off topic but close. I was just told it will cost almost $800 to replace my motor in my front dometic 15k unit that is only 7 years old.  I really don't want to get into total replacement yet is this a smart move or an I throwing good money into bad. And is that a reasonable price to pay. He says motor, capacitor and labor 7 and change.  07 Dip BTW rear unit only 3 years old 

Have you tried reaching up in the unit and spinning the motor?   When my Dynasty was new and in storage, sometimes the AC fans wouldn’t work and would pop the breaker.    If i hand spun them and broke them free and then turned it on, they would be fine.   They eventually stopped seizing up.

Done... Thanks all but I had to bite the bullet and get someone on my roof to fix.  He replaced the motor and capacitor in about 1.5 hrs new motor from Monaco 355 plus shipping @140 an hour, 280 plus some other stuff. I trust this guy he's simple and true. Southwest RV near Menifee CA.  Had no choice. I know owning one of these today without self maintenance is costly BUT SOME OF US CANT. thanks all for the help again. 

37 minutes ago, Joelsheriff said:

Done... Thanks all but I had to bite the bullet and get someone on my roof to fix.  He replaced the motor and capacitor in about 1.5 hrs new motor from Monaco 355 plus shipping @140 an hour, 280 plus some other stuff. I trust this guy he's simple and true. Southwest RV near Menifee CA.  Had no choice. I know owning one of these today without self maintenance is costly BUT SOME OF US CANT. thanks all for the help again. 

Sounds reasonable, you must have gotten a decent tech.  Glad you are back in business. 

• 2 weeks later...

Followup on Houghton AC replacement. Units ordered, shipped and arrived in Vegas 2 days ahead of initial estimated date.20220327_131016.thumb.jpg.e10c7270b703b35d09843d6dbba5e406.jpg

First do not buy these units if you have a center duct system. These are designed for rigs with a duct running down each side of the coach. Unfortunatety not mine. Maybe my center duct was a custom build? Only motor home we've owned, so I had no idea there was different ducting.

Couldn't use the plenums(inside ceiling covers) had to keep my wood framed ones and make other modifications. Probably wouldn't have done this if I'd known their ducted unit wasn't compatible with all duct systems.

Second, did significant modifications and thankfully got them installed just in time for two 94° days in a row. 

Units easily kept temp at 75. Units blow very cold. Fan is much quieter, has 3 speeds which I love, and turned down to low, is way quieter that the old dometics. Watch TV without turning it up.

Another difference from the dometics which connected to a hose and drained through the coach and out bottom of rig. These drain on the roof, so if that's gonna bother you these might not be for you.

Nice having remote controls. User manual pretty lame. Seems like there are more functions than there are an explanation of. Appears there is no US customer support.

As to the propane furnace, the telephonish cable going from the living room dometic unit was cut and tested as to which wires fired the furnace. The old thermostat was then removed from the wall, wire split and previously identified connected to the simple Emerson thermostat.20220327_131052.thumb.jpg.ba36813867a50697cab3dcdf9f5b0e74.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks so much Jerry. Our 2nd a/c in the living area is giving up the ghost. I plan to order 2 on Monday AM. We have split ducts (down each side, about 18" on each side of plenum so that should be easier. Also, existing Dometic drain on roof so again not an issue. Disappointing about cs. Dometic is responsive but in my experience the answers are often nebulous at best.

Since we seldom if ever use the furnaces (we have two), I may just leave the existing thermostat, at least for now, if it will still control them.

Questions: You said you did not use the ceiling grills because of your setup. Can you tell if these registers have an air dump feature for quick cool down? this is a question I have not been able to find a clear answer to this. Also, what size batteries do the remote take or are they rechargeable with a usb?

Yes, I believe you can open the plenum to dump air straight down, but with fans on high you might find this unnecessary.

With split ducts, suspect it should be pretty straight forward pull out the old, drop in the new.

Remotes use 2 regular AAA batteries which come with the unit.

There is another supplier besides Rec Pro, but I can't remember their name. Maybe they have CS for these.

Not sure what "split ducts" versus center row ducts have to do with the type of AC needed to install.

My 2002 Windsor has one row of center output ducts whereas my Dynasty has split ducts and both have the same type and model of AC/HP, Dometic High Capacity.

Please explain why the ones that you ordered would not work on center AC ducts?

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Not sure what "split ducts" versus center row ducts have to do with the type of AC needed to install.

My 2002 Windsor has one row of center output ducts whereas my Dynasty has split ducts and both have the same type and model of AC/HP, Dometic High Capacity.

Please explain why the ones that you ordered would not work on center AC ducts?

Pictures of the underside of the Haughton units and of the coach in that area would help to understand the mismatch.

Edited by Ray Davis

20220328_084951.thumb.jpg.4373b8439b0a92b02e188548621f0d31.jpgok guys here's photos from each side of my opening.

don't have the plenums, so you'll have to go online and look at mfg photos.

I think the angle iron welded inside the box also interfered with the plenum and you can see the new holes that had to be drilled to secure the unit to.

I'm not mechanically inclined, so you'll have to figure this one out. 

20220328_084916.thumb.jpg.24f9de64a291b566491ece12d62aa7d2.jpg

Other than the black steel frame that was used in your 2001 Dynasty I don't see anything significantly different than what is in my 2002 Windsor.

There is the center ducting that runs from one end of the bedroom to the entry way. The 120 VAC power junction box. The return vent and the AC Cold Output that should go into the ductwork.

Chances are since it is a different brand than Dometic which came with the coach the transition between the AC and the ductwork is most likely a different size and shape which is understandable when you don't use the same brand as what you took out.

As far as I can see, split ducting and single ducting has nothing to do with this thread. I may be wrong and if so please explain so I can understand the differences.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2022 at 6:22 AM, Wheelsnkeels said:

We have the same 2001 Dynasty and replaced both Dometic 13,500 with 15,000 btu penguins. 

You state you have a “furnace” be aware thats not controlled the same way as Aquahot!

if you have Aquahot there are 3 zones for heat. 
Each zone of heat is controlled by a controller board. 1 board is mounted in each Air conditioner but the 3rd controller is mounted somewhere hidden in the coach. It was quite a hunt to find ours in a false wall in an upper cabinet adjacent to the refrigerator. 

When buying new units they provide “New style controllers” for the CCC2 version thermostats. 

to use the original thermostats you need to retrofit the “Old style controllers” for the 5 button thermostat. If you do this you don't have to search for the 3rd controller. 

Not knowing this we bought the new CCC2 thermostat's. Thus 1 zone of Aquahot did not function until we located and upgraded to a New style controller. 

5 extra hours labor to locate and replace the 3rd controller. 

This is the first I've heard about the 3rd controller board. I'm planning to order 2 Penguin IIs and 2 new thermostats to do a direct replacement of my 2 Duotherms with 5 button thermostats. Does this mean I need to order another new style board to replace the hidden one? Is this found in any instructions, or learned the hard way?

20220516_171501.thumb.jpg.f8ebfa803923f389d7399f56b9d9c97d.jpg20220516_171519.thumb.jpg.ba86508081f728878da1ed95db1c6fb8.jpgI am not mechanically inclined, so I can't explain.

Here are the instructions and my guess is it has to do with the plenum and the mounting of the separation baffle.

Beyond that you might try Recpro, but I don't think the have tech support.