2005 navigator Tires

denny53

I have a navigator I just noticed a weather crake about 1/2 away around the bead its not hardly open. The dot date is 1517 the rest of the tires look fine. I have 2 questions no 1 is this something I need to worry about at this time we do live in the coach. if you think I should replace the tires what would you go with Michelin or Toyo.thanks for all your info.

Take it to a Michelin dealer and have it inspected.  They may give you some credit on an exchange.  

Probably should have all the tries inspected while you're there.  

The problem with buying new Michelin tires is the price has gone out of sight.  Toyo, Continental, BF Goodrich, and maybe even Yokohama are also great tires.  BF Goodrich is made by Michelin and some models are identical.  

Check out the FMCA tire program:

RV Tires - FMCA Tire Program | FMCA

Another great tire source.  They will ship to your installer free.

Shop for 295/80R22.5 Tires for Your Vehicle | SimpleTire

17 hours ago, denny53 said:

questions no 1 is this something I need to worry about at this time we do live in the coach.

This statement is not clear...... you 'live in your coach', but are you traveling in your coach??... If you are not taking it out on the road, the tires only need to hold air, they do not need to look good or be safe.....  When do you plan to travel again?  If not soon, you can clearly delay purchase.

Ken

46 minutes ago, daveyjo said:

I replaced with Toyos on 4/29/2020.  295/80R22.5 Toyo M144.  No problems with tires except they stink.  It took me a while to realize my black tank wasn't smelling.  It was and still is the Toyos.

I have heard about the smelly Toyos and was hesitant to go with them for that reason but money talks loud so I got them vs. previous Michelins. Same type and size. Happy to report no strong smell because that would be wife's never ending complaint. Can you tell where yours were made, it is on the sidewall. Mine came from Japan, last year. Strictly out of curiosity where the smell comes from, factory process related possibly.

20220328_192044.jpg

4 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I have heard about the smelly Toyos and was hesitant to go with them for that reason but money talks loud so I got them vs. previous Michelins. Same type and size. Happy to report no strong smell because that would be wife's never ending complaint. Can you tell where yours were made, it is on the sidewall. Mine came from Japan, last year. Strictly out of curiosity where the smell comes from, factory process related possibly.

20220328_192044.jpg

Mine were made in Japan.

• Like 1

I agreed with Vito. I would try to get them inspected. 

I had new toyos put on on my 04 nav and they did smell when first put on. However that did go away after a couple months. No issues but only put about 5000 miles on it before I sold it. 

I had motorhometires.com do the tires on both of my last coaches. They had the best price for the least amount of hassle. The last ones are 8 295/80R22.5 Hercules for $4500. I can't tell any difference between these and what was on it when I bought the coach. They seam like good tires to me. 

I could have got Toyos or Michelin but decided on the Hercules based on good reviews and price. It's was tough to spend quite a bit more money on tires that were going to age out so quickly. If I knew for sure they were better I would have. 

BEFORE you have them inspected be sure the tire pressure is correct.

In 1987 I had what is know as a bead crack on the 1 year old Michelins with 8,000 miles. This crack was 0.5" deep - not a typo. Michelins continue to have cracking issues.

Tom Whitlow - $10,000 for 8 tires? You made the Michelin executives very happy. In July 2021 I paid $4,200 for 8 Toyo tires installed, balanced etc. Prices are increasing but IMHO you were ripped off.