Cleaning Engine and Chassis

14 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

The steamer with a hand held sprayer does a great job in cleaning my ISL.  I clean my engine every few years.

IMG_20150731_103639354.jpg

So do I ask the DW if I can borrow her rug spot steam cleaner or borrow it covertly? 

- bob

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ktloah said:

Hey Frank, have any issues when pressure washing the engine with electronics or sensors on engine?

The steam cleaner I use doesn't really provide a lot of pressure but is sure does produce lots of hot steam.  They do make pressure washer steamers but that's no what I'm using. Although the picture shows a small brush on the end, I normally remove the brush so I can get into really tight places. 

I put protective sheets on the bed and carpet just in case there might be some over spray but I typically get very little to none.  I do put cardboard on the garage floor just to make cleanup easier when I'm done.

The steamer was originally purchased to clean the grout joints on our home kitchen tile floor.  It came with long extension tubes to clean the grout joints while standing up.  Since I'm the one steam cleaning the tile grout, no need to ask the domestic engineer when it's time to clean the engine.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

While cleaning your ISL, and this pertains to the ISC too, pay attention to this hidden freeze plug.  I collects dirt and debris and retain moisture. Then the freeze plug rust from the outside.  

This small freeze plug sits part way under the timing chain cover. If you were to to Cummins to get this freeze plug replaced, they would remove the timing cover, spelled $$$, to replace it.  One fellow explain how he did it himself with grinding a fraction of the timing cover with a Dremel and also taking a tiny bit off the new freeze plug. Once that was done, he was able to sneak the new one in, keeping it square to the hole.

After reading his story, I found mine and cleaned it out with a pick. Mine wasn’t too bad, just edge hiding at the edge of the timing cover was full of junk.  Now it is part of my annual maintenance procedure to clean it.

25FC5491-3E6E-429C-B901-BFA6DADFE6E4.jpeg

0B8AFC2C-2FEB-462A-B220-2FD6805C46A6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:44 PM, Bill R said:

I was just reading a thread by Mike M talking about finding an electrical connection for his Jake Brake when cleaning his engine, and rather than jumping in on that thread, I am starting a new one.  I tried searching, but did not see a discussion on this topic of cleaning your engine and chassis, but I may have missed it.

How have you gone about cleaning your engine and chassis?

I am tired of looking like a grease ball every time I just do a little work around my Cummins ISL 400HP or under the chassis.  It is not leaking fluids, but over the years it is obvious whenever the chassis was greased or engine serviced, no one would ever bother to clean up the spills or extra grease.  Even about 1/4" build up in some areas.

So I am about to tackle this project and thought I might ask for ideas.  I know it might be obvious, but I am always shocked by the ideas from this forum that I would never think about.

Thank you!

I just washe

I just cleaned my ISL 400 in my Monaco diplomat. I put plastic up in the bedroom and put my pressure washer  hose thru the window. Also put some plastic around my alternator.

I sprayed engine degreaser and let it set about 10 minutes.

I use an assortment of liquid spray cleaners plus my power-washer to clean the engine compartment. On rare occasions I will have a truck wash shop steam clean the engine compartment as they are more proficient with it than I am.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:16 PM, Happycarz said:

It seems that Monaco bought flat black paint by the rail carload. Then they took a fire hose and sprayed anything and everything they could with this flat paint. Why not leave the engine the way it came from Cummins?

Not liking the look, I used acetone and in some areas MEK to remove all the flat paint and expose the shiny pant underneath. I did this an area at a time. So it was no afternoon project.  I’m happy with the results and have even painted parts to make them look better. 

Just so you know, I ordered my 08 Camelot in April 2007.  So, I’ve had years to work at it. I want to know it there is any leak and the best way is to tidy everything up.  I use diluted Simple Green Purple in a spray bottle and then a garden hose. Any sign of oil get a blast of parts cleaner (Brakleen) and wiped off. I’ve been known to put a coat of wax on parts, also. I just stay after it. But that’s just me.

CDAA063C-AC94-481F-92E2-A19E16E4D332.jpeg

9F8B0FAF-2F33-47AB-B863-C2101B22E4C3.jpeg

A6A1B9D2-3659-41F3-AC53-6DF4AAC52462.jpeg

Wow! That’s great looking

1 hour ago, Blacknight said:

Frank, What is the name of the steam cleaner you have. Ive wanted one for interior cleaning  and other areas. Never thought about using it to clean the engine. Thanks Steve

The steamer is a Kleenjet 2000 - link below. I bought it over 10 years ago at about half the price it is today.  I like the long handle option for cleaning floor tile grout while standing up or the small handle for close up cleaning like my engine.

https://www.daimer.com/steam-cleaners/kleenjet-200s.htm