Battery Compartment Wire

FLynes

Hello everyone, I replaced all of my batteries today and went back to the 4-6v setup that was originally in our 2005 LaPalma 37PST…the Previous Owner had put in two 12v cheapos that were burned out and discharging sulphur gas.  

After cleaning out the compartment and hitting it with a lick of paint, I noticed that there was a wire that looked like a telephone cord curled up and tucked away.

Am I correct to AssUMe that that wire is for the Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter/charger? I ask because we had a similar wire in our Airstream hooked up to our Iota and it functioned to let the charger know when the batteries were charged.

I hooked it up to a positive post of one of the 6v batteries, because it looked like the perfect length…am I correct?

I’ve attached a picture for reference.

70B5DAC0-CA82-4501-9995-B3F7DE91A1AF.jpeg

If you don't hook it to the right positive post it won;t read 12v. Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it's on the wrong one and it will only have 6v. I can't tell you what the wire is for but if it needs to be hooked to the batteries it should be on the same positive post that the coach feed is hooked to.

2 hours ago, Tom Wallis said:

If you don't hook it to the right positive post it won;t read 12v. Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it's on the wrong one and it will only have 6v. I can't tell you what the wire is for but if it needs to be hooked to the batteries it should be on the same positive post that the coach feed is hooked to.

It is for a battery temperature sensor that needs to be attached to the side of the battery.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

If it in fact it is a temp sensor for the inverter/charger or solar charger, they were made to be attached to any battery post for better temperature transfer but if they develop an internal short to the actual thermistor inside of it, it will seriously damage the equipment. Therefore I am taping them to the side of a battery as Chuck said. 

4 hours ago, Fasthobie16 said:

Why would you hook it up to power when you don’t know what it’s going to????  That’s kind of lighting a match to see if there’s gas in the tank.😩

Wait, lighting a match to look in a gas tank is wrong? No wonder I have no eyebrows! 😁

I did it, because I was 99.9% sure that it was a sensor. What I didn’t think about was the 6v vs 12v post…my batteries are opposite the way Rik’s are, so I’ll be changing them to match the way his are.

Thanks for everyone’s input, I greatly appreciate it.