Aqua Hot dripping/Leaking

nvrtoofast

A few months ago I started seeing a drip from under the bay where my Aqua Hot System is located. Cannot see where it is coming from. Any tips on searching or known issues. 2006 Camelot.

Thanks all!

It’s possible that in the use of your Aqua-Hot, the antifreeze reservoir may have been to full and as it heats up I assume it expands. Mine has an overflow tube that drips underneath the coach occasionally if I’ve recently topped it off with the antifreeze.

Mike

2010 Camelot 42PDQ

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Is it water, diesel or boiler coolant?

Checked it when I found it leaking. It is water only. it has also left some in the bay. Not a lot but some.

Also, My AC drains are in the front and rear end caps of the RV. As for the fridge I am unsure. But the fridge area has shown no signs of leaking.

On the hunt.

Your probably going to have to get a good look at where your fresh water lines enter / exit the back of the unit.

Don't know if yours is installed like mine, but I have a removable hatch between the AH bay, and the storage bay behind it, that would give me access to the back of the unit.

Knock on wood, I've had no need to go back there yet.

8 hours ago, nvrtoofast said:

Checked it when I found it leaking. It is water only. it has also left some in the bay. Not a lot but some.
On the hunt.

Hopefully for your sake it is NOT the fresh-water loop leaking that requires a new or rebuilt Aqua-Hot unit. to be installed.  Had to do mine back in the winter of 2005/6.

You will need to remove the access panels to get a better look at the water lines going into and exiting the Aqua-Hot Fresh Water loop as sometimes they develop a leak on the outside of the unit. if it is coming from the inside of the unit then you are looking at BIG BUCKS to fix it.

After having one rebuilt Aqua-Hot unit installed I would never do another one. There is a FAR better brand of diesel fired heat & hot water unit available today called Espar. Gene Howe, a member here, has had two installed, one in his burned up 2003 Monaco Diplomat and one in his now 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial.

15 hours ago, mbunchfive said:

It’s possible that in the use of your Aqua-Hot, the antifreeze reservoir may have been to full and as it heats up I assume it expands. Mine has an overflow tube that drips underneath the coach occasionally if I’ve recently topped it off with the antifreeze.

Mike

2010 Camelot 42PDQ

You should leave room in the expansion tank for the liquid , as it heats up and expands. 1/4to3/8 empty is where i would want it when COLD.

I had a fresh water leak quite similar to what you are describing. Found the leak in the mixer valve made by honeywell. The valve is located inside the box. Aqua Hot wanted $385.00 plus shipping, but I found the very same part on EBay for $95 with shipping!  I quess your supposed to turn the setting knob every so often to keep the seals lubricated. 

Edited by ColoJim

In my case the short connection lines from the AH to the coach shown below started to leak, first the cold then a year later the hot.  Plastic getting old, O-rings old, etc... It was gonna be a pain in the U-know to perfectly cut new pipes and put unions in those straight line connection points, so I cheated and used a longer standard braided hose from the HW store and made a gradual 360 degree loop.  Been a couple years now, no change in perceived water volume/pressure.  At least they were in an accessible location 🙂 ... only a backache, lost a little skin in the process, and a few choice words.  BTW, exercised the mixing valve while I was there.

PXL_20220412_021630540~2.jpg

Edited by amphi_sc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

In my case the short connection lines from the AH to the coach shown below started to leak, first the cold then a year later the hot.  Plastic getting old, O-rings old, etc... It was gonna be a pain in the U-know to perfectly cut new pipes and put unions in those straight line connection points, so I cheated and used a longer standard braided hose from the HW store and made a gradual 360 degree loop.  Been a couple years now, no change in perceived water volume/pressure.  At least they were in an accessible location 🙂 ... only a backache, lost a little skin in the process, and a few choice words.  BTW, exercised the mixing valve while I was there.

I had exactly the same leak with my AHE-100-03S, except in addition to wearing out mine weren’t properly aligned so the fittings were slightly offset. I wish I’d thought of the braided line. Instead, I made up loops using standard PEX tube and multiple 90° elbows. My first dip in the PEX crimping pool. Took a couple of tries to get the hang of it. But it never leaked again…

A few years later, I had the dreaded fresh water loop internal failure, but that leaked out through the exhaust opening right onto the ground. I didn’t get any water from that one in the bay itself.

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2022 at 9:37 PM, amphi_sc said:

was the hose you got half inch threaded ?  The hot outlet is leaking on our sharkbite connector as well on our new to us coach.

Edited by vipeboy2000

There is also a pressure relief valve in the system.   If by chance you had a quick surge of pressure it may have relieved and just never totally reseated.   This valve does not get much use, if any and it drains inside the stainless steel case just in front of the tank.  That would be an easy fix.   I had mine leak a couple years ago.

13 hours ago, pcpronze said:

There is also a pressure relief valve in the system.   If by chance you had a quick surge of pressure it may have relieved and just never totally reseated.   This valve does not get much use, if any and it drains inside the stainless steel case just in front of the tank.  That would be an easy fix.   I had mine leak a couple years ago.

Oh that's good to know!  I'll check that as well but the sharkbite definitely is leaking.  It stops if I press it in and hold it.  Everything is new to us . First motorhome! 

Edited by vipeboy2000
Add details.