Goodyear or toyo?

Donflem
Go to solution Solved by Donflem,

I need to replace my drive tires on my 2007 Monaco dynasty I was wondering what’s your guys ideas on Goodyear or Toyo? Does anybody know a good place to order tires at a decent price to ship to California?. Thanks for any help.Don

A few weeks ago I bought 8 Toyo M144 295/80R22.5 shipped to my home in NJ for $4,200 from Tiresdirect online.  Tires arrived via motor freight a few days later.  I'll install the tires myself and then sell the old tires to a trucker for $100 each like I did the last time I changed tires.

• Like 2

I will never buy another Goodyear product again.  Long story, but their product manager told me that the tires with date codes that were already 4 years old were perfectly fine (when a shifty dealer in S. Georgia pulled a fast one on an install). That was the end of any future purchase of their products. Done, Fine', Finito, the End. 

• Like 2

Just replace my Goodyear G670-RV 295/80/22.5(because of age), on the front of my 2008 Dynasty with Toyo M144, 315/80/22.5.

The cost installed and balanced was just under $750 per tire(the price was about $400 less per tire then Michelin thru FMCA).

I purchased them at Southern Tire Mart(Texas) they have a couple locations in California. They had some stock available a couple weeks ago.

I tried to pay close attention to the Goodyear’s ride-wise before the change out to see if I could tell a difference. Ride-wise Toyo’s have had a noticeably smoother ride. The Toyo’s had a strong stinky smell when they were first installed. After they heated up a couple times (100 miles) the smell disappeared. I have about 2K miles on the tires at this time.

I have not had any clearance issues since the install. I always make sure the tires are straight when parked and the suspension is in Travel Mode before I depart.

• Like 1

I replaced old Michelins with Toyos last year, have 5k or so on them.  I used motorhometires.com which was serviced locally by Southern Tire in Weslaco Texas.  They came to my rv site in Alamo, TX and changed them, balanced them with beads.  

In my return to the RGV (Rio Grand Valley in the bottom tip of Texas) I had a slow leak in one of the outer duallies.  When we headed out to go back north last month I pulled into Southern Tire in Pharr TX (they have several locations) and they removed the wheel and fixed the loose extension hose.  Charged me 10 bux.  Nice company to work with.  

If you don’t want to move your rig, I highly recommend Motorhometires.com.  They have agreements with installers in all the states (except maybe Hawaii and Alaska).  

1 hour ago, Johnny Mo said:

In SoCal try Pete’s Tire

Pete’s Has always been my go to for truck tires all the companies are used to drive for always used Petes tire but I called them they had to Goodyear‘s in stock and they had a 2017 DOT stamp they wanted $550 apiece for them I thought that was high for such an old tire. I hope I didn’t make the wrong decision lol.

Thanks Don

Thank you gentlemen for your input I think I’m going to lean towards Toyo.

Don

On 4/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, TX Bella said:

Just replace my Goodyear G670-RV 295/80/22.5(because of age), on the front of my 2008 Dynasty with Toyo M144, 315/80/22.5.

The cost installed and balanced was just under $750 per tire(the price was about $400 less per tire then Michelin thru FMCA).

I purchased them at Southern Tire Mart(Texas) they have a couple locations in California. They had some stock available a couple weeks ago.

I tried to pay close attention to the Goodyear’s ride-wise before the change out to see if I could tell a difference. Ride-wise Toyo’s have had a noticeably smoother ride. The Toyo’s had a strong stinky smell when they were first installed. After they heated up a couple times (100 miles) the smell disappeared. I have about 2K miles on the tires at this time.

I have not had any clearance issues since the install. I always make sure the tires are straight when parked and the suspension is in Travel Mode before I depart.

I made the exact same brand/size change two years ago.  Good improvement in ride, never noticed any smell.  You don't want to know this, but tow years ago they cost me just about $500 each mounted and balanced.....  Replaced the rear six last year with 295s at $550 each.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:16 AM, Frank McElroy said:

A few weeks ago I bought 8 Toyo M144 295/80R22.5 shipped to my home in NJ for $4,200 from Tiresdirect online.  Tires arrived via motor freight a few days later.  I'll install the tires myself and then sell the old tires to a trucker for $100 each like I did the last time I changed tires.

Hey Frank. If you don’t mind me asking how long ago did you get that price on those tires any chance I could get a copy of the receipt with that price on it so I can get a price match?

Thanks Don 

2 hours ago, Dbircky said:

I made the exact same brand/size change two years ago.  Good improvement in ride, never noticed any smell.  You don't want to know this, but tow years ago they cost me just about $500 each mounted and balanced.....  Replaced the rear six last year with 295s at $550 each.

Next you are going to tell me Diesel price might go up? 🤑

I had bad luck with my original Goodyears. I switched to Michelin tires on my coach and by the 4th year they were cracking on the sidewalls. I did some research and finally purchased Yokohama tires. They ride as good as the Michelin tires and were much less in cost. They are wearing very well and I am very happy with the Yokohama tires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Donflem said:

Hey Frank. If you don’t mind me asking how long ago did you get that price on those tires any chance I could get a copy of the receipt with that price on it so I can get a price match?

Thanks Don 

Don, I sent a copy of my receipt to your email address that you used when you joined the Monacoers group.  Tires were purchased 3/28/22.

• 1 year later...

There is also the stigma of many failures and many deaths from the Goodyears in the early and mid 2000's.  Most folks that changed, for personal safety, as I did, found the Bridgestone, MIchelin and Toyo's ran cooler (the Delta P or increase in TP when they got hot) was less.  The original Yahoo group which was converted to this format adamantally, say 90% disliked and were very negative on the GY.

Then, when there were cracking issues with Michelin, it was Bridgestone.  I had the only reported failure of a Bridgestone...and it did NOT blow out, but had premature wear...but there were reports from Josasm, the most trusted Front End shop in the US....  So, I switched to Toyo and no issues.

Just summarizing the past 14 years and I joined and read every post to learn and then was asked to be a moderator...

Personal safety vs value...personal safety (call it confidence) wins

• Like 1

When I bought our 1997 Class C on a Ford chassis it came with Firestone.  This was during the big lawsuit push on the Firestones tread separating.  Supposidly it did not include the tires on our Class C.  But we did have a tire that the tread separated, plus one that developed a large bulge, and another that disintegrated so bad it was hard to tell what caused the problem.  This all happen on one trip as I was frantically trying to find a tire shop to replace all the tires. 

We did replace with a set of Michelin tires, always heard they were the best.  I was extremely disappointed when after 4 years they were weather cracked so bad I had to replace.  I went with Bridgestone and they were still on when we sold the rig.

When we bought our current coach it had the original Firestone tires on.  The front had a very bad wear pattern, it looked like the rivering pictures that I found.  Changed the front tires out to Bridgestone and then eventually the rear tires.  I ran these tires until 2021 and when removed they still had great tread and the inside and out looked great but they were way past aged out (think Covid). 

At the time, ~May 2021, I wanted Toyo but could not find any and decided to go with Yokohama, which I believe were comparable.  I had used both Yokohama and Toyo in the mines that I managed and they ran neck and neck on performance and cost per hour, yes we tracked tires on $/hr.  From memory we'd get 2k hours on tires, which sounds like a lot but would be ~4 months. 

So far I am pleased with the Yokohama, ride and handling is good, time will tell as to how they do in the long haul. 

• Like 1

Walmart will ship (thru 3rd party) Toyo M44 LT295/80R22.5 52M tires to your door for $558.21 each, plus tax.  Free shipping. That's based on area code 92308.  Finding a tire dealer that will ship to California, and offers free shipping is not easy.  I ordered Hankook AH37 255/70R/22.5 tires shipped to my house in Orange County in April 2023.  I paid $336 + tax ea, delivered .   Manufactured within 6 months of delivery.  If your old tires are in decent shape you can sell them on Craigslist.

I wanted Toyo, but nobody would offer free shipping that close to LA. so I ended up with Hankook.

Once you go to 315s on the front, there’s no reason to put 295s on the rear of a tag rig. A 11R22.5 is the same diameter and requires +8 additional pressure and cost $4-500. Had a blowout yesterday in Buffalo, WY and 2 hours later and $500 lighter for a 11R22.5, I was back on the road. Asked about availability of 295/80/22.5 and said he’d have to order from Gillette… couple of days.

• Like 1

We are in Washington and have unusual wear on the right drive tire. My greatest fear is a drive tire blowout, enhanced by the tradegy recently on I-81. Have 2 Toyo tires scheduled to be installed for about $1500 tomorrow at Les Schwab in Anacortes, WA. What is the oldest acceptable manufacture date?