Axle parts & mfg

Good day,

2003 Monaco Dynasty.

anyone know the mfg of the axle assembly?  The axle end cap is starting to leak and will need a new gasket.  Are these undercarriage stamped by mfg?

thanks & good day,

mhrookie

Most likely a Dana

there will be a number stamped on it much like a vin number. It can be deciphered to know model, size and gear ratio

Google axle identification motorhome and it should lead you where you want to go 

We have a 2000 Dynasty and our rear differential is an Eaton.  If your axle flange is leaking, you do not need a gasket.  We repaired ours by removing all the old gasket material and used Permatex Gasket Maker on the flange to seal it, did both axles.  No more leaks.  There is an torque sequence that must be used in order to insure the flange is seated properly.  In addition there will be a torque setting for your particular application.  God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

torque-sequence-12-16-bolt-1024x503.png

torque-sequence-4-8-bolt-1024x456.png

bolt-tightening-sequence-20-24-bolts-1024x524.png

MeritorAxleNutTorque.JPG

21 minutes ago, Tom Wallis said:

I used to maintain a fleet of buses. All we ever used was permatex on the axles and we never had a leak.

So are you talking about pulling the axle shaft and putting in permatex? I 

Yes, pull the axles.  It is imperative you remove all the old gasket material.  Then coat with the proper amount of Permatex.  Put axles back but do not tighten nuts.  Allow the permatex the correct amount of time to set. Check instructions on the tube of Permatex.  After the correct amount of time tighten the nuts to correct torque and in the correct sequence.   God bless, Ed & Sylvia

1 minute ago, We2dynasty said:

Yes, pull the axles.  It is imperative you remove all the old gasket material.  Then coat with the proper amount of Permatex.  Put axles back but do not tighten nuts.  Allow the permatex the correct amount of time to set. Check instructions on the tube of Permatex.  After the correct amount of time tighten the nuts to correct torque and in the correct sequence.   God bless, Ed & Sylvia

Awesome! Thanks for the pointers. We just had a dump truck towed and and to pull all the axles out.

I fixed a leaking axle on our coach.  You will need to remove every other lug nut to remove the chrome cover.  Then remove the axle retaining bolts.  With a good rap the axle will come loose and it slides out with both dual wheels in place.  

It helps if you jack that side up first so you loose less gear oil.  

Like the others said make sure you scrape and clean both surfaces well.  I used Ultra Grey gasket maker and its held well for the last two years.  

When done refill with the proper gear oil.  I changed the gear oil as it had been in there several years.  It holds a lot!

HR/Monaco diesel motorhomes on Roadmaster chassis used Eaton axles, gassers used Dana products.  Then Dana purchased the Eaton Axle and Brake Div in 1997 and continued the design and manufacturing.  Dana has continued to support the product.  There should be a metal tag attached to the axle IDing model, ratio and serial number but using the build sheet is cleaner!  Spent many years at Eaton making a fine product....

Adam 2010 Neptune 38PDQ

15 minutes ago, lake49068 said:

HR/Monaco diesel motorhomes on Roadmaster chassis used Eaton axles, gassers used Dana products.  Then Dana purchased the Eaton Axle and Brake Div in 1997 and continued the design and manufacturing.  Dana has continued to support the product.  There should be a metal tag attached to the axle IDing model, ratio and serial number but using the build sheet is cleaner!  Spent many years at Eaton making a fine product....

Adam 2010 Neptune 38PDQ

My 93 Dynasty has Rockwell axles.

• Like 1