Awning Return Speed Issue

I have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat, and the power Carefree side awning, extends ok, but is very slow returning, and requires that we manually help it return, by pushing on the support arms.

The arms don't appear to be binding, or in need of lubrication.

Has anyone ran into similar issues?

Blessings,

Dave

I have the exact same issue on my '05 Dip Carefree Awning.   A few years ago the motor had to be replaced, but the problem existed both prior and after the new motor install.   

Acts like low voltage but I've never tried to trouble shoot it,  If it is low voltage I wouldn't know how to fix it anyway.

Bill

Our 08 HR does the same thing. Our motor has been replaced but it is still going slow. We've talked to service people and they have said that the wire is too small and not grounded good. It would be a pain to try to redo it.

1 hour ago, buddy3753 said:

I have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat, and the power Carefree side awning, extends ok, but is very slow returning, and requires that we manually help it return, by pushing on the support arms.

The arms don't appear to be binding, or in need of lubrication.

Has anyone ran into similar issues?

Blessings,

Dave

It is usually caused by a poor connection at the connector on the outside wall.  I am told that, beside this being a poor quality connector for exterior use, the wires are not large enough.  We have the same issue and it has been on my todo list for years but has a very low priority. We almost never use the awning. Try unplugging the connector and cleaning with a contact cleaner. My guess is that if you temporarily connected to a 12 volt source such as the house battery the awning would move faster.

33 minutes ago, Bob Nodine said:

It is usually caused by a poor connection at the connector on the outside wall.  I am told that, beside this being a poor quality connector for exterior use, the wires are not large enough.  We have the same issue and it has been on my todo list for years but has a very low priority. We almost never use the awning. Try unplugging the connector and cleaning with a contact cleaner. My guess is that if you temporarily connected to a 12 volt source such as the house battery the awning would move faster.

We tried cleaning our connection with no improvement.  Haven't tried connecting to 12 volt yet.

I have a One Touch Carefree of Colorado awning and was having the same problem.  It had a bayonet type connector on the outside of the coach that was the problem, I continually had to disconnect and connect.  I would clean the contacts but to no avail, they relied on a weak spring action & small contact surface.  It was not a good design.  I called Carefree to try and buy a new one but the part was obsolete, I asked what they currently use and they said it was direct wired into the coach. 

I looked for an alternate type connector and couldn't find one of the correct size and/or looked any better then what i had. 

So I improvised.  I took both halves of the connector off the rig and I essentially just drilled through the two halves gutting out the contacts out.   I then used simple push together type connectors, alternating male female on both sides to keep the wires sorted out.  I then made a compression type seal on the outer connector using rubber electrical tape, so that when I screwed the end back on it made a water tight fit.  I mounted the halve back on to the outside of the coach using a silicone sealer to keep it water tight. 

I did this change about 5 1/2 years ago and have never had another problem.  The awning worked faster going out and in. 

16 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I have a One Touch Carefree of Colorado awning and was having the same problem.  It had a bayonet type connector on the outside of the coach that was the problem, I continually had to disconnect and connect.  I would clean the contacts but to no avail, they relied on a weak spring action & small contact surface.  It was not a good design.  I called Carefree to try and buy a new one but the part was obsolete, I asked what they currently use and they said it was direct wired into the coach. 

I looked for an alternate type connector and couldn't find one of the correct size and/or looked any better then what i had. 

So I improvised.  I took both halves of the connector off the rig and I essentially just drilled through the two halves gutting out the contacts out.   I then used simple push together type connectors, alternating male female on both sides to keep the wires sorted out.  I then made a compression type seal on the outer connector using rubber electrical tape, so that when I screwed the end back on it made a water tight fit.  I mounted the halve back on to the outside of the coach using a silicone sealer to keep it water tight. 

I did this change about 5 1/2 years ago and have never had another problem.  The awning worked faster going out and in. 

By any chance did you take pics of these solution?

This is an old Carefree problem. The awning roller is driven by the large black cap on the motor end of the awning. The cap gets its rotation from the shaft which slides through it. The cap is aluminum and the shaft is steel, with a single flat spot to drive the cap. Guess which wears out? The later motor assembly had a shaft with 2 flat spots  and does provide better drive. The caps on each end of the tube are identical and can be interchanged. Doable but a pain to access. Research other RV forums and you will find some individuals have either pined the shaft to the end cap or were able to use a set screw to accomplish the same. For a period of time a few years ago, if you provided Carefree with some info or pix they would send a new motor assembly free of charge.  I still carry my new one because I had swapped end caps  and and did not want to do a cap replacement a second time. But I am sure my time will come.

Dennis Codella

2007 Endeavor 40PDQ

The most problematic awnings for slow operation is the Carefree Eclipse. It helps to lube all the pivot points with T-9 Boeshield. But chances are the problem will persist.

Problem areas are the wall plug/connector and switch but on Monaco coaches the other problem is small gauge wire used at the factory which wont carry the proper voltage to the motor. We have 2 member who ran new heavier wire internally in their coach which fixed the problem but it is a huge job and time consuming. Whenever troubleshooting a patio awning always test the motor first by jumpering it using a drill motor battery. 12 - 20 volts is fine.

On 2006/07 models there was a recall on the motors as the shaft with the flat spot would wear out. The free replacement motor program from Carefree has since run out. Pinning the shaft is a good work around.

3 hours ago, throgmartin said:

The most problematic awnings for slow operation is the Carefree Eclipse. It helps to lube all the pivot points with T-9 Boeshield. But chances are the problem will persist.

Problem areas are the wall plug/connector and switch but on Monaco coaches the other problem is small gauge wire used at the factory which wont carry the proper voltage to the motor. We have 2 member who ran new heavier wire internally in their coach which fixed the problem but it is a huge job and time consuming. Whenever troubleshooting a patio awning always test the motor first by jumpering it using a drill motor battery. 12 - 20 volts is fine.

On 2006/07 models there was a recall on the motors as the shaft with the flat spot would wear out. The free replacement motor program from Carefree has since run out. Pinning the shaft is a good work around.

Chris, glad to see you're still lurking around here! I surely hope you are enjoying semi-retirement and truly getting away from the business at least some.

If you recall I'd asked you a couple years ago about this same issue. You put me in touch with the guy (sorry I can't recall his name) that pioneered the larger wire to the awning fix. I emailed him to get the wire size and such that he ran. He promptly responded and was very helpful. I too ran the larger wires (IIRC the new wires were 8 gauge) and they made a huge difference. After I got the free motor replacement when my single flat spot motor failed, the awning would barely roll back unless I helped it. The larger wires make it roll up very easily now. It definitely doesn't roll up as fast as it does going out, but doesn't seem to struggle at all like it used to. Hope this helps.

Chad Y

07 Neptune

Lexington NC

The one issue with my awning, a One-Touch of Colorado, is that it is truly a piece of crap.  Soon after we got our coach we were at the fair grounds in Perry GA, I was sitting in the coach drinking coffee and scanning the news.  There was no wind but all of a sudden a big gust came and the awning bellowed (I pooed my pants), I ran up front and tried to retract the awning and it came in about 2/3rds of the way.  The support arm was bent.  I had to go get some big C-clamps and heavy piece of angle and was able to straighten enough to get it back in and then spent another day working on it after I got home.  Finally got it working as it should but learned our lesson, we really hardly use the awning because of this. 

So when I started having a continual problem with it retracting I looked for the cheapest easiest option to fix.  The repair I described worked, didn't have to run a larger wire, can't remember what size wire I had.  It extends and retracts pretty quickly.  When retracting it the awning climbs quickly and slaps close without a problem.