HydroHot Cabinet AIR Filter

BigNick

So, I try to keep the inside of my Hydrohot cabinet clean and tidy, I've spent enough time and money in there and now the system works great. Problem is, there is a giant ventilation hole in the bottom of the cabinet to the bottom of the coach. As a result the cabinet constantly gets filled with road grime and if its wet out, wet road grime. 

Anyone come up with a fix? Maybe a filter element? Or maybe just cover the hole up?

I think since there's combustion going on in that compartment, there's probably some reg about ventilation,  but, I'm pretty sure its not air tight anyway.

Edited by BigNick
Spelling

If yours is anything like the aquahot in my 2003 Signature, that large hole in the bottom lines up with the air intake of the diesel motor / burner, and it needs all the air it can get to function properly. I wouldn't cover that hole. I've never had a problem with road grime piling up in the cabinet.

This is interesting to me. Our AH box does not have any opening besides for the coolant hoses on top. That's the only way fresh air can get in. The basement compartment does not have any ventilation provisions except for an opening to other compartments ceilings between the frame rails. Never crossed my mind that it could be a problem and it isn't. No outside dirt can get in there from the ground level but there must be enough leakage between the rails to make it work.

13 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

This is interesting to me. Our AH box does not have any opening besides for the coolant hoses on top. That's the only way fresh air can get in. The basement compartment does not have any ventilation provisions except for an opening to other compartments ceilings between the frame rails. Never crossed my mind that it could be a problem and it isn't. No outside dirt can get in there from the ground level but there must be enough leakage between the rails to make it work.

Point being your unit runs fine without the giant hole in the floor

Mine has about a 3" hole in the floor, directly under the burner air intake. Originaly, it had a soft rubber boot running thru that hole, and hose clamped to the burner.

I read a couple of yrs ago AH asked that you remove that boot, as they were collapsing, and cutting off combustion air. I removed mine, and fitted window screening over the hole in the hopes of keeping critters out.