FURNACE CIRCUIT WILL NOT RUN

On my 09 Dynasty with aquahot 600, none of the furnace circuits will run.  I tried them individually and as pairs and all together.  The coach is plugged in and batteries are up to voltage.  We just returned from the south and used it without problems on the return 2 weeks ago. (  On a side note I did have it in at Cummins for trans lube/filter change, and they did access the OBD port for some reason, not sure that this would affect the system )  All other functions of the thermostat work like A/C, and fans.  I tried the furnace circuit on ac elements heat and burner heat --nothing!

Can anyone suggest where to start troubleshooting the system

Thank You  Gary Magin

On 4/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, Gary Magin said:

On my 09 Dynasty with aquahot 600, none of the furnace circuits will run.  I tried them individually and as pairs and all together.  The coach is plugged in and batteries are up to voltage.  We just returned from the south and used it without problems on the return 2 weeks ago. (  On a side note I did have it in at Cummins for trans lube/filter change, and they did access the OBD port for some reason, not sure that this would affect the system )  All other functions of the thermostat work like A/C, and fans.  I tried the furnace circuit on ac elements heat and burner heat --nothing!

Can anyone suggest where to start troubleshooting the system

Thank You  Gary Magin

I'm betting on a "connection problem".  This is the fix that has solved gremlins in systems as well as total failures.  When you drove, something "vibrated" and you have lost the "circuit".  Try these....

BTW, I THINK there is a separate zone, maybe hidden on the Dynasty's.  Frank McElroy is the expert there.  TRY THIS FIRST.  TURN OFF THE AC (ON/OFF Switch) on the bottom.  You will need to reset it after you do the following.

• Remove the filters from all AC's.  YES, this has to be done....as the "Phone Line Connections" are there.  You will find that there are TWO phone lines hanging down.  Theses go to the control board or module that is located on the roof, accessible with the cover off.  There are phone cables plugged in to them. The circuit starts at the Thermostat and (typically) runs to the front T'Stat, then to the next one (probably Zone 2 or the middle) and then to the bedroom.  
  • Unplug EACH side of the Dual Inline Female to Female connector.  Replug and push hard or actually unplug and then replug the phone (Male) connectors on each side or each connector.  I actually carry a set of SPARE connectors and will eventually replace mine.  IF any one of the connectors loses the "multiplex" circuit, then you can lose an entire unit or you will have a gremlin....as you have.
  • After you have disconnected and reseated each of the cables (total of 12 or 4 per unit), then you need to do a SYSTEM RESET. 
  • SYSTEM RESET
  • Turn the ON/OFF switch to OFF position. Simultaneously depress and hold the MODE and ZONE push-buttons while turning the ON/OFF switch to ON. FF should appear in the LCD display until the MODE and ZONE push-buttons are released.

OK....then try to furnaces.  SOMETIMES these connections can drive you crazy.....if that does NOT work and you do NOT have any "spare or new Dual Inline Female to Female connectors, then the next step is cleaning.  You can use a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol or ELECTRONIC (not Electrical) Contact Cleaner. I had a rear AC die and the plugging and unplugging did not work.  I cleaned the female and male copper terminals.  THAT fixed it.  NOW....if that does NOT fix it, then you will need some more expertise....

The OTHER little trick....turn OFF all the Flourescent lights.  Make sure you have done the "cleaning and trouble shooting above".  Then do the RESET.  If that works, then you have a leaky Ballast and it is sending out an RFI signal that is interfering with the Thermostat.  IT DOES HAPPEN.

ONE OTHER THING.....again, after all else fails.  REMOVE the T'Stat.  CLEAN the contacts of the back of the T'Stat and the phone cable. Then do the RESET again.  Any TIME you disconnect a phone cable, you have to RESET the system and reestablish communications....

I would also ask the same question that others have.  LOOK AT THE Aquahot Panel in the basement or wherever it is located.  IF you see a LOW VOLTAGE light....you MUST reset the panel.  Sometimes I will "reset" the AH just to have a fresh system. The AH is waiting on a SIGNAL from the Control Modules located in the roof top units. It is NOT part of the Multiplex system that connects the Thermostat to all the downstream modules. 

Good luck.  Get back with us....

I had a very similar problem although mine is an '03... Turns out that The thermostat sends a signal to the logic board in the a/c unit. On that board is a 2nd telephone (RJ11 I believe) that crawls back down into the basement. At that point the end of the phone wire in the basement has the connector cut off and the wires connect individually to terminals on the AquaHot. I looked at that wire 10 times before I saw that one was actually loose. Reconnected it and 3 years later still humming along. Again I have vintage '03 and you are '09 but maybe there is a connection here (pun intended)....

Good luck,

Ken

EDIT: A little poking around and I read that AquaHot will also fail to come on if coolant level is low. 

Edited by Grampy OG

Gary, look at the Aquahot panel in the service bay and see if either the low battery or fault light is on.  If it is use a tooth pick and push in the reset button.

Then do a reset of the 5 button thermostat by first turning OFF the thermostat, then simultaneously depress and hold the Mode and Zone push-buttons while turning the ON/OFF switch to ON.  FF should appear in the LCD display until the mode and zone push-buttons are released.  On your dynasty, you likely have 4 zones displayed on your 5 button thermostat.  Zones 1, 2, and 3 with work the 3 AC units and heat pumps.  Zone 4 is for the bathroom Aquahot heat only. 

The system won't work if you mix zones to both heat and cool.  So, all zones must be in either the cooling or heating mode.